Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to standardize my .223 ammo (at least somewhat) to where I have rounds that will hit the same point of impact. I have considered buying Sellier and Bellot in either 55 gr. fmj or 62 gr. SS109. I feel it offers reasonable quality and value. Is this ammo any good or should I buy American Eagle or UMC? Or would military surplus 5.56mm be a better buy? I want quality, regardless of cost, but if I can save a bit that's cool. I have a Colt AR-15 with a 1 in 7 twist barrel and Mini 14 with a 1 in 9 twist I think. Would I be better off to buy 62 gr. SS109 rounds for these rifles or would the 55 gr. FMJ stuff be more versatile? Any ammo guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

op-rod

·
Registered
716 Posts
1. You can't hunt with FMJ ammo.
2. The Wolf is good stuff for the price ~$100 for 1000 rounds.
3. If accuracy is what you want, it will cost $. Hornady, Federal, Remington - the better brands.

·
Registered
153 Posts
SS-109 should afford you decent accuracy. The twist rates you mention should do best with 62gr as a minimum. The standard M-16A2 is a 1 in 7" twist to deal with the SS-109 (longer projectile needs faster twist to stabilize). The A1 was not meeting accuracy standards when the new ammo was introduced so they tightened the twist (among other mods) and redesignated A2. Just for giggles, go get 60-80 rds of SS-109, some Wolf or Barnual 62gr, and however much Federal Gold (with the Sierra 69gr HPBT's) you feel like affording, and have a side by side trial day at the range. Sandbag, scope, and shoot scientifically for 5rd 100yd groups (at least 3 from each type). Mine gave me a mean of 3.5" out of the box with some S&B SS-109. I didn't try the Federal Match stuff at $15+ a box, I wasn't feeling that scientific. I have a box of it now though, and I have a feeling it may do better. I just have to get my scope back from Tasco. Cheap scope + Mini-14 = loose lens.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Keep in mind, with reloader's techniques listed above (which is exactly what you want to do), that your zero at 100 yrds may go up or down according to the velocity/weight of the ammo you use, so, just keep your aimpoint the same and don't adjust your scope elevation until you've selected the ammo you want to use.
You may not be hitting exactly where you are aiming, but its the groupings that matter...

·
Registered
685 Posts
i go with wolf it shoots hotter than ultramax, umc and others and it's cheap. i get 3-4 inch groups with 62 grainers. funny to hear that reloader has had the same problem with his scope.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i previously used UMC 55 grain, but i recently picked up a couple battle packs (4.5 battle packs = 1350 rds) of South African military surplus for about $140-$160. Haven't tried it yet but it is supposed to be good stuff.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What is the "twist" on current generation Mini 14s? If it's 1/9, doesn't that mean it will favor the heavier bullet?

I've recently bought 1000 rnds of PMP 55 gr FMJ, and it works fine for me, but I'm wondering if I oght to try some 62 gr rounds for fun.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
685 Posts
my mini is 1/9 and loves wolf 62's and there not copper washed like some people think. you can get 1000 rnds for 110 or so....later

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by boogeyman
my mini is 1/9 and loves wolf 62's
Thanks, I'll get a couple of boxes and try them perhaps. Are the the painted cases? I've heard they can "melt" if you're shooting fast and furious and don't typically keep your chamber clean.
Or are these the "silver" rounds?

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
The best thing to do is to try lots of different ammo and find out what your Mini prefers.

All rifles are a bit different, even those that come from the same factory. Those with skinny barrels and loose tolerances (like the Mini) are more so.

On my old Mini-14 email list, a lot of people really liked American Eagle 50gr flat based in their stock Mini-14's. They felt their groups were significantly smaller.

This all goes to the "tuning" of bullet velocity and mass to the barrel whip, which depends not only on the length, diameter (mass) and design of the barrel, but also on the variance from rifle to rifle. Some have more "whip" which is the ringing of the barrel upon firing, than others.

I sold my Mini-14, but when I was buying .223 for both the Mini-14 and my AR-15's, I settled on M193 compatible (55gr FMJ USGI compatible) ammo, but it didn't perform well in the Mini... 5" groups.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Bill
The best thing to do is to try lots of different ammo and find out what your Mini prefers.

Roger that! Thats so true about .22 lr firearms also. I spent many months and some money testing ammo in my Ruger pistol. Finally settled on Federals's 711.

I found something really important regarding shooting this past weekend; you really ought to use Locktite on scope fasteners (duh!). :rolleyes:

I was shooting the PMP ammo and just about had it zeroed in, when all of a sudden it started printed to the right......so I readjusted the scope....still right.....more adjusting......THEN, the forward fastener on the scope went whizzing by my ear!

I re-attached it and tighened it as best I could by hand and commenced shooting again. BUT, the first round, I could just barely see, was about 3 F-E-E-T to the left of the target stand (not the bullseye, the STAND!!)

Sooooooooo, after using Loctite on all the fasteners, we'll be going back to the range maybe next week to sight in the scope (again).

:D

·
Registered
685 Posts
the finish on the wolfs is something like anodized but for steel. i have had no probs with the lacquer but heard that some mini-30's don't agree with them. try them out maybe you'll like them or more important your gun might like them....later

·
Registered
108 Posts
My favorite choice for my Mini is 5.56 M193 Ball. This Federal (white box) military round, is a 55 grain Boat-Tail bullet. The case is a tad thicker than the .223 civilian. The muzzle blast & report is such that I almost always get asked what I am shooting!! if I am outdoors or in a range. It's a fun round and they are very well priced..I also use the SS109 rounds when accuracy at a greater distance may be involved. I was hitting a smallish metal target the other day with ease at 100 yards.

Larry:usa:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts