Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I would like to know, if I buy Ammo in bulk, how long will they last? & what would help to preserve their life?

Is their anyone that buys their Ammo in bulk? & how much would you buy at one time?

thanks

:beer:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Keep it in a cool dry place and it will last a long time. Dry is the most important. I have shot 8mm turk ammo from the 30's and it still works great. I have also shot off 45 Autorim ammo from the 20's that was hit and miss. Look for stuff with sealed primers and bullets in the case and mostly it will be OK.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You brought up a great subject.

From what I know, the armories pack their steel and wood in cosmoline.

But, how do the military armories store the other half? The ammo? And how long is it good? I bought Norinco .556 from Big 5 that was dated 1981. No problem. Anybody know what's the best way to store ammo?

·
Registered
203 Posts
keep it clean and dry. don't handle the brass with your hands any more than needed. your skin has oil and sweat that can tarnish/corrode cases. midwayusa.com sells empty boxes for ammo. i put mine in military ammo cans with a dessicant. i also store my primers for reloading in an ammo can with a dessicant (silica jel) you can also buy this from midwayusa. good luck! P.S.: Try to keep the dessicant pack from touching the ammo, because if the dessicant gets moist an it touches the ammo it will tarnish/corrode.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I keep my ammo in ammo cans which have a rubber seal, and use the silica jell packs. I have shot ammo I've had for 25 years, and it fired just like new. I've also ran some thru the washing mach, by accident, and it fired with no problem.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Cajungeo,
The washing machine trick is too funny! Is that am-moo laundering?

You jogged my memory, a friend from 10 years ago said they polished their rounds for guard duty.

He was US Marine, said he was on the guard detail for President Nixon's daughter. He said they had a shootout with 2 would-be assassins, with the Prez's daughter just inside. 2 assassins dead, everybody else happy.

·
Registered
716 Posts
From what I've read, you can store ammo indefinately in a sealed ammo container like you guys have been describing, with the rubber seal lightly lubricated with a petroleum jelly to complete the seal.

Also the desiccant packs make for the ideal situation. Avoid any oils inside the ammo can, as oils will permeate the join between the case and the primer, and between the bullet and the brass. Any oil that gets to the primer will ruin it. When opening the ammo can, open it as briefly as possible to keep the humidity inside as low as possible. Cardboard boxes are fine, as long as they are DRY, but if there is a chance they have become moist due to humidity, it is best to discard the cardboard package the ammo comes in.

As far as the oil permeating goes, this also applies if you are leaving a loaded clip in your gun. Any light 'penetrating' machine oil from cleaning/lubing your gun will EVENTUALLY find its way inside your primers (believe it or not). Granted, this may take a while.

If you ignore all of that and just treat your ammo relatively 'nicely' (up to and including throwing it in the washer once in a while :confused: ), it will still last for several years.

Check pg 26 of "The ABC's of Reloading" 6th edition by C. Rodney James. Its a wealth of knowledge, and not just stuff about reloading. Lots of good info.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just thinking of something that I have, what about a thick plastic bag, that is vacuumed & sealed?.

This is something simple that I have.

I think the 1600 rounds will go fast anyway, so only one or two years at best.

1600 rounds .223 is $238.93 American
:p

:ar15:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have found that storage of ammo to keep it fresh and dry,I buy 7.62x39mm and 5.56x45mm .223 to feed my mini14 and mini30, place it in good quality ziplock bags then placed in 5 gallon plastic buckets with lid closed tightly.Also you can store magazines inside and other items,carry the whole thing buy the handle to the range. GOOD HUNTING SINGLESIDE:usa:

·
Registered
110 Posts
For long term storage, only use brass cased ammo.
The steel cased stuff will eventually rust on the inside.
Don't remember exactly but this will degrade the powder and case wall. I picked up this tip from a Vietnam era green beret.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Guys,
I've done a little research on this, and plastic bags do not keep out moisture in the long term. They're no good for the short term either, unless you're dunking 'em in water!

Both black powder and modern nitro powder naturally absorb moisture out of the air and it still works fine. Military rounds are sealed around the primer and ball.

(Military ammo is ball FMJ, but Wolf HP is also sealed around the projectile. I wonder if the Russians really intend to use that HP stuff in their next war? They sure are making it cheap! But that's another subject!)

This is a kind of secret subject, but I say just try to copy what the US Army is doing. They pack ammo in rubber sealed cans in the armory. How long is it supposed to last in ammo cans? I don't know. I have bought surplus ammo over 30 years old and it worked fine.

As far as bags go, some test results I've seen prove that bare steel with a light coat of oil will rust in a plastic bag in less than 6 months in a warm, humid climate. Conclusions: The oil vapor evaporates out of the ziplock bag and water vapor gets in through the plastic anyway.

There are better bags that block water, such as mylar-coated "shiny" bags. With mylar bags, I haven't found a bags big enough for a rifle. Typically, these bags are sized for food products. That's about the right size for ammo.

KC

·
Registered
716 Posts
Another thing that may work well is a "Food Saver", which is a vaccuum - packing system you can buy for home use. I have one and it will vaccuum seal a mason jar, and also thick plastic bags. The "bags" come in a roll, and you can adjust the length of the bag to whatever you want. This would even contain a rifle of almost any size.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Getting the air out using vacuum sealed plastic bags is what I use for a lot of things not just for ammo and weapons rust is everywhere here with the moisture. that is why I am adding stainless mini 14 +mini 30 to my collection along with syn stocks. I must say that factory loads brasscase is what my minis like to fire. Long term storage of ammo comes down to one thing , keep your powder dry. Ammo must all so be portable and easy to carry to put it to play when needed most.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yes, keeping powder dry and also keeping the primers functional. Anyway, vaccuum seal ammo, put it in the ammo cans, and include a knife in the can for easy opening of the package when the Taliban comes to visit.
:rapid:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts