Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold a great friend my new model Mini 14 Stainless Ranch rifle a few years ago. He is questioning what ammo to shoot and I told him both 223/5.56, am I correct?
Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
my question as well.....I have an older stainless 184 series, late 70's to early 80's (I think) manufacture, and a friend today told me the older ones would *only* shoot .223, *not* 5.56. I was worried because the rifle was unfired when I bought it, and I shot 50 rounds through it with factory 20 and 30 round mags and had one feed failure somewhere around the 40th round. So, even with the old ones, 223 or 556 both are ok?

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
There is a new mini 14 target model

That only uses .223 Remington and the rifle is stamped .223 Remington. I would not run steel case in the mini, everything else goes 5.56 or .223.

·
Registered
159 Posts
JMO, it seems mine likes the 5.56 M193 for distance... 2ft X 2ft steel plate at 430yds... speed-distance- less bullet drop. I have to add another slash in the Nikon BDC scope for a .223 round.
At 100yds, they're both the same.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I do.

10's of thousands of rounds of Wolf steel cased .223 though several Mini-14's and Ranch Rifles and no issues whatsoever.
Me also, and I have run quite a bit of Tula with no issues as long as I take the buffer out before shooting it. I figure with the money saved shooting the steel cased ammo I can just buy a new Mini when mine finely craps out.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Tens of thousands wow! With zero issues?

I do.

10's of thousands of rounds of Wolf steel cased .223 though several Mini-14's and Ranch Rifles and no issues whatsoever.
The only rifle I'll shoot the steel cased dirty burning ammo in is a roller trunion action. Steel on steel equals wear that is not accounted for in design specs from Ruger. Which is why they don't recommend it and neither do I. I have seen more than one mini not extracting that were fed steady diets and I'm sure there weren't thousands of rounds put through it. Clogged gas systems were the root causes.
Just my opinion and the manufacturers recommendation, use what ever you want.;) wear em out boys!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The only rifle I'll shoot the steel cased dirty burning ammo in is a roller trunion action. Steel on steel equals wear that is not accounted for in design specs from Ruger. Which is why they don't recommend it and neither do I. I have seen more than one mini not extracting that were fed steady diets and I'm sure there weren't thousands of rounds put through it. Clogged gas systems were the root causes.
Just my opinion and the manufacturers recommendation, use what ever you want.;) wear em out boys!
Hardened steel parts versus soft steel cases, and steel cases do not obdurate as much as brass. Only real consideration is the extractor wearing.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
You did read the report right?

Hardened steel parts versus soft steel cases, and steel cases do not obdurate as much as brass. Only real consideration is the extractor wearing.
I would wager the the DPMS chamber and barrel are made of tougher stuff than the mini so the wear patterns would be accelerated as in fewer rounds.
The mini isn't a "hardened" steel in the receiver or barrel. Just trigger group components, sear, disconnector, hammer. Thus the Ruger recommendation and mine. I have some left overs in steel and I'll run them in my CETME someday, but the crap is confined to the chamber in a blowback roller trunion action. Use what you like i stand by my recommendation.:)

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
I do.

I don't like wolf. If for no other reason it is way underpowered, and it shoots very dirty. I don't like having to adjust the sights when going between wolf and commercial or military brass cased 55 gr. bullet cartridges. Wolf makes me field strip and clean too much. My mini really likes PMC bronze. I will stick with that and xm193 when I can get it.

·
Draw, Varmint!
797 Posts
As far as I know Mini-14s have always had 5.56 chambers, with the exception of the new target models.

You'll notice the receivers are marked ".223 cal" not ".223 Rem".
To the best of my knowledge, and in accord with conversations I've had with a heavily experienced police armorer, prior to the 580 Series EVEN Sturm-Ruger doesn't know exactly which Mini 14's have 223 chambers, and which have 5.56mm?

Toward the end of his life Bill Ruger got a little, 'screwball', and didn't want to supply 5.56mm capable rifles to the American public. That policy was, eventually, changed; but, the factory (by their own admission) didn't keep precise records. If you're uncertain about the chambering on an older Mini 14, I suggest you have the chamber slugged.

Some people are going to tell you that this event only applied to the Ranch rifles; but, I have it ON VERY GOOD AUTHORITY that Sturm-Ruger sized many of it's pre 580 Series carbines to strictly 223 dimensions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm sorry but 223 and 556 are the same dimensions!!!! Ruger tends to run the throats a little longer than others. I just looked in my Sierra loading manual and they say the same thing. Started life as 556(military spec) then civilian usage came out in 223. This subject may be the most cussed and discussed topic on all gun related sites.FRJ

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm sorry but 223 and 556 are the same dimensions!!!! Ruger tends to run the throats a little longer than others. I just looked in my Sierra loading manual and they say the same thing. Started life as 556(military spec) then civilian usage came out in 223. This subject may be the most cussed and discussed topic on all gun related sites.FRJ
This is correct. All this anguish is amusing but pointless.

Barrel twist rate determines what bullet can be fired.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.