Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Suck it Leftists!
7,930 Posts
This may not be the appropriate forum to post this but I'm going to anyway.

I have owned the Mini 14 for over a year and my favorite plinking ammo (Federal American Eagle 223 Remington 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail) has gone up over $1 per box.

Since I buy by the case I have often used Midway, TargetSportUSA, AmmuntionToGo. I have refused so far to use steel case but was reconsidering until last week when my range partner had bought 1000 rounds of Wolf and every third one was a mis-fire, FTF, or FTE.

I used to use AmmoSeek to price brass ammo but it seems way out of date now. Are there any other sites out there that track ammo prices for .223/5.56 that is up to date and relaible? Has anyone else experienced these price increases?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't buy loaded ammo but I almost had the big one the other day when I went in to buy some bullets. Yes all kinds of ammo is going way up. Hang on it will only get worse as long as the current pres is in the white house. FRJ

·
Suck it Leftists!
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't buy loaded ammo but I almost had the big one the other day when I went in to buy some bullets. Yes all kinds of ammo is going way up. Hang on it will only get worse as long as the current pres is in the white house. FRJ
I looked at getting into reloading but when I researched the ROI, it was more rounds than I would ever shoot in a lifetime. I don't have the time, space, and my wife would probably divorce me for having one more expensive hobby and I'm too damn old for that. Even searching tonight, a lot of my favorite cheap brass ammo is out-of-stock on most sites. I thought with the wars winding down that .223/5.56 ammo would be cheaper and more available but I guess I thought wrong.

·
Registered
86 Posts
it definitely has more to do with the market price of copper, brass, and lead, than with whoever is in the whitehouse. just sayin...

I use a LOT of bronze and copper hardware for wooden boat building, and it has all skyrocketed in price in the past few years. And to have a new 3 ton lead ballast keel for a sailboat poured is so expensive it will make you cry.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think it has more to do with the ammo suppliers getting greedy again and trying to drive up prices with fear and speculation Obama will do something if he is reelected. Worked the first time in '08, why not try it again? I use PMC and it has tracked down over the last 6 months. I see tonight it is going back up.

·
Registered
317 Posts
goes in cycles

I just got a Cheaper than dirt cat. My favorite 62gr M855 5.56 is now over $400 per thousand in this cat. Last I bought was a thousand for around $350.
So keep an eye out and it will go down some. Probably not much though.
As noted above materials cost is a strong factor.
Richard

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Its a matter of supply and demand. New government contract purchases are going to effectively pull alot of .223 and .40 S&W ammo away from the civilian market, and leave us to fight over the scraps. I bought some pmc copper .223 today from a local dealer for $7.00/ box of 20. He says the next shipment in is going to sell for about $9.00/box of twenty. He can't replace his current inventory for $7.00/box. At the next price increase I'm going to start working on reloading the 2000 bullets that I bought very cheaply about 10 yrs. ago.( Not to mention my free 1x range brass pickup).

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think it has more to do with the ammo suppliers getting greedy again and trying to drive up prices with fear and speculation Obama will do something if he is reelected. Worked the first time in '08, why not try it again? I use PMC and it has tracked down over the last 6 months. I see tonight it is going back up.
Bingo.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Nearly 8 trillion new dollars has been digitized in 3 years, the corporate tax rate is now the highest in the world, and bank regulations are being pilled up on the bank regulations that got us this depression; and everyone thinks its "greed" that's causing prices to go up.
Well it is greed. Its the greed of the voter.

Has anyone else noticed that not only has gold, silver, platinum, and palladium has gone up but all other metals as well? Raw matierial commodities have risen 30%..
I imagine with increased demand and production rates, there are a few people pulling in some overtime pay, or should they not receive the added benefit of a 60 hr work week to keep the prices low for you? I guess your solution would be to raise the minimum wage again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I post this knowing ill get flak for honesty. when I was young my family and I were democrats. yes I know fighting for the blue team. I was young and my parents would tell me we democrats because be believe in human rights and small government, and small business.
Little did i know what they really where saying is we love the anarchy that comes with most democrats presidents that get into office and how raw materials go sky rocketing. my dad was a gold miner at the time and we love the democrats in office. now that I'm much older and my whole family has improve our education and level of living we open our eyes and realized how messed up the democrat party is and has become. even mining in America is in the tank because of the dumb A** environment Nazi.
as most people have started coming to terms that the dems are no longer what they were most people hopped on the republican side. I think this is wrong and degrades what the republicans work so hard for. that not fair to them. we need another party.
the only reason metal is worth anything is 2 factors. 1. government 2. government. that it. there is no such thing as rare metal. there may be "rare earth" but that means its just not common in this plant. wtf we can mine other plants we have the stuff to do it. I know i have seen it and got to see my dad work on it. you can thank the dems and environmentalist for the stop of that. and now Obama for killing nasa. don't think for a moment other countries haven't been looking it to it. also what we need we can make we know how to make all metals. we also know where all earth resources are how much and what quality. and i can tell you there is no lack of anything anywhere. it's there. I more than sure governments are worry that if we dig it up it would kill the market. and "pollute world". best way i can say it. being that I'm going to school to be a engineer and know that materials are so abundant piss me off we have to pay high prices. but yet we can fund other countries and the worth less people we have. but god forbid we do something that may jump mankind to a power on other plants. and fix economy. put people to work make a project. Hmm I know why not mine mars or the moon or up the space program or rebuild something. it worked last time to fix our country.

sorry kind of when off topic. but pissed at our government and current market.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Well, can't totally lay it all on dems. Nixon got the EPA to where it is and took us off the gold standard permanently.
I personally am done with parties. I see them as factions of an oligarchy myself. Both expand the government past it's charter. BUT this is for a different forum.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
I have not noticed the price of 223 ammo going up.

American eagle still cost in the $6.90 - $7 a box
This may be true, but up untill 2 Mos. ago I was paying $5.97/box at Wal-Mart. Then they jack up the price another buck/box. They charge $39.99 for a box of 100 rnds.(Federal) which works out to $8.00/20. So, I'm thinking prices are going up again.

·
Suck it Leftists!
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since I originally posted this topic here I have done more reading and have come to the conclusion my fellow posters are correct on 2 fronts.

1) The USA suppliers are price gouging drumming the potential BHO gun and ammo control.

2) Precious metals prices are rising X10. China has quietly invaded eastern Afghanistan and is buying up mining rights and paying off the local tribes to protect them while they mine huge areas. On the other hand, the USA is still in Western and Central Afghanistan fighting the Taliban and paying off the government and local tribes to not attack while they grow their drug crops. Our government is so stupid it astounds me.

and yes, I did order 1000 rnds from Midway at $8 a box and was not happy. From now on I am gathering every single last piece of brass at the range and storing it. Maybe good barter one day when the SHTF.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Check Out sportsmansguide.com. I became a memeber and they sent me a $25 gift card, plus the prices are lower for members, and I am constantly getting $10 off coupons.

·
Registered
178 Posts
the guide is the best if you work them. be a member you get a discount get there visa you get more discount and what i do is i order somthing small like shorts. they send me like free shiping discounts.

I just got 500 rounds FMJ gold bear for 128 buck or 25cents round. and thats shipped.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts