Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like someone flipped a switch, and prices doubled from last week. Prices observed today at Big 5 chain store $11.95/50 box of cheap made aguila. $15.95/50 for super high velocity ( equivalent of cci stingers). At the LGS federal Automatch box of 325 for $80.95, and 22 WMR softpoints, $40.95 /box of 50. I paid $10/50 of These, Norma brand 6 mos. Ago. I bought 2 bricks at the time ( 1000 rnds/$200).

I guess people finally figured out you cant reload rimfire?

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep..there is an ammo panic going on.....about 6-8+ months now.

gougers have seen the opportunity. what else is new?
That is true, however Big 5 stores get direct from the manufacturer pricing, and have been holding the line on prices. I even picked up some federal 9mm target quality boxes of 50 for less than $20, 2 weeks ago. And the this week- Bammo on the Ammo. Big time sticker shock in one week.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At todays current pricing, your coming out smelling pretty good on this deal. Your trading away about $450 in 7.62x39, getting $500 in trade back, then trading back $300 worth to get?$ worth. Im guessing that your at least doubling your money in trade on this three way. But more importantly, your getting what you want/need without handing out a large stack of monopoly money. Well played Sir!!

Good Old fashioned American Bartering!!

·
large member
2,089 Posts
That is true, however Big 5 stores get direct from the manufacturer pricing, and have been holding the line on prices. I even picked up some federal 9mm target quality boxes of 50 for less than $20, 2 weeks ago. And the this week- Bammo on the Ammo. Big time sticker shock in one week.
Yes sir. it sucks!!

"Less than 20" for 50 nine one year ago was Ludacris. I was picking up 50 American made 9 for 8-9 a year ago. 100 packs for 17-18. almost everywhere. last I saw 9 on the shelf, they wanted $35 for 50 PMC. All I can do is laugh out loud and walk away.

I would suggest boycotting those jacking prices, but as 80-90% or more are doing just that, you wouldn't have many options if the norm returns. Add this to the fact that the businesses that aren't gouging, have no ammo.

Yep, it sucks!

·
Formerly "raf"
1,390 Posts
Damage control on the 22 RF procurement. A few years ago, when I got rid of my Ruger MkII I tossed my buddy three bricks of high end target ammo. I had bought it early 2000's. Two bricks of RWS and a brick of Eley Match.

I called him up and asked him about it. He said he still has it. I'll get back to you. Called up another buddy who needs 7.62x39mm.....he has bricks of .22 stacked up to look like the gold in Fort Knox. He's been buying steady since the last drought.

Worked a deal with him for 900 rounds of Red Army for 5 bricks of .22. Standard stuff. Federal...CCI....Winchester. Red Army was bought way back when it was cheap and I'm still holding heavy in x39mm.

Then called the first buddy back.....I'll trade you brick for brick for the good target ammo I gave you. He shoots it out of a non target Ruger semi so he doesn't care.

Meeting him tomorrow. Boy this is getting taxing.:blink:

Bepe
Bepe is now an ammo broker. Nothing wrong with that, in that he brought some people together in a mutually satisfactory deal.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,390 Posts
Back on-topic, rise in .22RF prices is entirely predictable due to rise in centerfire ammo prices.

People switch to .22RF for practice purposes, and price for .22RF skyrockets. Typical, and predictable.

First thing to do when centerfire ammo, and or reloading components jump in price is to buy decent .22RF, assuming one already has suitable .22RF firearms.

Within reason, I believe that the majority of one's firearms training can be done with using appropriate .22RF firearms.

By "Majority", I exclude long-range shooting, which means doping both wind and range.

By "Appropriate" I mean a .22RF firearm that mimics one's centerfire caliber firearm as closely as possible, so there is little or no loss of "muscle-memory". Choose your .22RF training rifle carefully, and set it up/accessorize it to mimic your centerfire rifle as best you can.

Except for long-distance shooting skills, the majority of firearms skills can be both acquired and maintained by short-distance .22RF shooting.

The Appleseed program has done this for years. Given good coaching, it's surprising how much one might learn, even to discarding some bad habits. We all have something to learn--or unlearn, as the case may be, I reckon. BTDT. Got my patch. Shooting 1" targets at 25m is not exactly easy.

To maximize benefit of any ammo usage, plan ahead for what you want to accomplish. Just blasting away achieves nothing. Read-up on desired marksmanship skills, and practice according to your specific needs. This really works, as long as you do your homework Perfect practice makes for perfect results.

Local Club Women's Junior Team (.22RF) once shot a Major Caliber Match (using Club Garands and milsurp ammo) at Club 100-yd range, against the usual experienced shooters, all of whom had rifles and ammo better than Club standard. The early teen-age gals outshot almost all of the "experienced" men, who had both better firearms, and better ammo. IDK if the gals had any significant experience shooting Garands. If I was their Coach, I would have made sure my "gals" had some experience.

To be fair, their (Female) Coach was good enough to have sent several gals from the Club to the Olympics.

Just Sayin'

·
large member
2,089 Posts
all good points. and the exact reason 22 is gone or grossly overpriced, just like the last 22 scare in obama's reign.

I did much better getting 9 and 223 during the obama panic...but reasonably priced 22 was gone for the better part of a year. you could get 50 rounds at a time at some places, but that was it. most places charging about $10-15 for 22 50 packs. ashamed to say a bought a few, as I got caught with very little in the stash.....despite many telling me to "load up" when times were good. but I have a bad habit of having to learn the hard way.:rolleyes:

22 gone and overpriced should be a surprise to no one who's been in the guns and ammo game for more than 5 years. its all the noobs that just bought their first gun in the last year that I really feel sorry for.

Back on-topic, rise in .22RF prices is entirely predictable due to rise in centerfire ammo prices.

People switch to .22RF for practice purposes, and price for .22RF skyrockets. Typical, and predictable.

First thing to do when centerfire ammo, and or reloading components jump in price is to buy decent .22RF, assuming one already has suitable .22RF firearms.

Within reason, I believe that the majority of one's firearms training can be done with using appropriate .22RF firearms.

By "Majority", I exclude long-range shooting, which means doping both wind and range.

By "Appropriate" I mean a .22RF firearm that mimics one's centerfire caliber firearm as closely as possible, so there is little or no loss of "muscle-memory". Choose your .22RF training rifle carefully, and set it up/accessorize it to mimic your centerfire rifle as best you can.

Except for long-distance shooting skills, the majority of firearms skills can be both acquired and maintained by short-distance .22RF shooting.

The Appleseed program has done this for years. Given good coaching, it's surprising how much one might learn, even to discarding some bad habits. We all have something to learn--or unlearn, as the case may be, I reckon. BTDT. Got my patch. Shooting 1" targets at 25m is not exactly easy.

To maximize benefit of any ammo usage, plan ahead for what you want to accomplish. Just blasting away achieves nothing. Read-up on desired marksmanship skills, and practice according to your specific needs. This really works, as long as you do your homework Perfect practice makes for perfect results.

Local Club Women's Junior Team (.22RF) once shot a Major Caliber Match (using Club Garands and milsurp ammo) at Club 100-yd range, against the usual experienced shooters, all of whom had rifles and ammo better than Club standard. The early teen-age gals outshot almost all of the "experienced" men, who had both better firearms, and better ammo. IDK if the gals had any significant experience shooting Garands. If I was their Coach, I would have made sure my "gals" had some experience.

To be fair, their (Female) Coach was good enough to have sent several gals from the Club to the Olympics.

Just Sayin'

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,546 Posts
I have a lot of 22LR, but just by accident. Always had a habit of grabbing a brick here and there when the price was right. I'm still kicking myself for not buying more lately as the clouds were gathering, and now it's too late!

·
Formerly "raf"
1,390 Posts
I have a lot of 22LR, but just by accident. Always had a habit of grabbing a brick here and there when the price was right. I'm still kicking myself for not buying more lately as the clouds were gathering, and now it's too late!
Kicking yourself, at this point, is a waste of time. We all feel like that, in some ways.

Be glad you have what you have, and make definite and intelligent plans to make the most of it.

I remember folks who would blast away with a few boxes of .22RF, and learn nothing except how to miss what they were trying to hit.

Well, those days are over.

We all need to take stock of our shooting practices, and find our own ways to make things more efficient--and more effective.

·
Registered
26,962 Posts
Was down the LGS last week and saw a beautiful new CZ 457 Varmint. Couldn't resist.
I'm sure you won't be disappointed! I have the CZ 455 Varmint Evolution and put a nice Vortex scope on it, and it shoots wonderful!

Looks a little different though...

You know I never trusted the stock market, had a 401k cashed it out years ago and stayed out of it. sold all of my silver long ago, my only real investments have been ammo and firearms, which I have sold many.

The way things are going with this administration I may not have to worry after all about funding my retirement...

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,403 Posts
during the previous .22lr panic...(3-5 yrs ago) I called a few people that were selling it (at inflated prices) through a local sales rag........EVERY ONE W/O EXCEPTION turned out to be a Walmart sporting goods employee.....
this was after 5 solid months of Walmart having no .22 available, even on shipment day.
When I reported this to the store manager, it was shrugged off
When I reported it to corporate HQ, I was promised "an investigation" but nothing ever happened.

THIS is one major reason these things happen.......rampant illegal profiteering.

·
Banned
445 Posts
Isn't getting scalped during temporary shortages the American way? Have you read about the prices being charged by hotels with heat down in Texas? You can bet that if the government were not making the COVID vaccine available via strict price controls to purveyors, individuals would be charged $350 a shot,

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Some of you will hate me for this, but I'm up to about nearly 200, 000 rounds of. 22LR. None will be shared with those who aren't like minded. Bought 750 rnds of 9mm last month. Have about 7,200 total 9mm rounds. Many of us knew it would happen again and we stocked up when we could. Buy as much as you can whenever you are able to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This past weekend in Colorado; I added some stock to my supply of .22s; had to return a foregrip that was too long and saw the shorts (@.09¢ per round)at Sportsmans Warehouse. The .22 WMR (@.18¢ per round) was tucked back on an upper shelf at a nearby Walmart.

These were more impulse purchases as I wasn't actively looking for them; maybe that's the trick, I won't look but if it pops up then...;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts