Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's plenty of internet ink spent on Wolf and Tula HP and SP, but much of it is based on bullets that may no longer be in use.

Not long ago Wolf used what was claimed to be 8M3 for their Military Classic line of 7.62x39. They used to offer a 122gr copper jacket HP just for locales that forbid use of steel or bi-metal jackets. There is evidence that neither bullet is offered now.

I understand that Wolf now makes 122, 123, and 124 grain bullets in HP configuration.

Does anyone have experience with the current production Wolf or Tula to know if the HPs expand under hunting conditions?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Based on my own shooting experiences, I avoid wolf ammo of any kind. I did my own ammo test and found Wolf to be the least reliable and most dirty. I would suggest that you do your own somewhat informal testing as well and try various different brands assuming you can get them. I also will not shoot any corrosive primers or lacquer coated rounds.

I found Golden Bear to be the most accurate so I stocked up on those. I also shoot Tula which always goes bang but is not as accurate as the bears.

The hollow points will expand the most if they hit bone assuming they don't just go right through it. The copper coated steel jacket peels back some just going through tissue but not as much as a polymer plug tipped round. What they actually do that is as if not more damaging is they start to yaw or tumble once they get inside.

For hunting, if that is what you are interested in doing, I would get the Hornady polymer tipped hollow points or as a second choice, soft tips.

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,261 Posts
The poop is the soft points are the most able to bring down game, but even they don't expand as much as they tumble, and the soft point does "blunt" so it's tearing more than cutting/poking through tissue/bone.

Best option would be expensive poly tipped rounds as noted, but at about 20.00 or more per 20 rounds, not very practical if you bought the Mini 30 for shooting more than a few deer every year.

I have found the "Herter's Select" ammo sold at Cabellas to be pretty good/consistant.

It's poly coated steel cases, soft point and hollow point as well as ball, and the powder charge seems to be pretty consistant based on accuracy.

The bullet weights are lighter for the HP and Ball, slightly more heft for the SP.

Works well in my Stainless Mini 30, and goes bang every time. Some folks suspect that it's Tula ammo. But I don't know, don't care, it's cheap when I've bought it on special, goes bang, feeds fine, and did I mention it was cheap?

Paid about 4.00 per 20 last time around. Might have been 3.99 per box.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mentioned Wolf in the OP, but could just as easily go with Tula.

Yes, I could go with Hornady ZMax, but it's pricey for steel case non-reloadable ammo.
I've been stockpiling Hornady 123 SPs to do a reloading run, but that's on hold due to a lack of LR milspec primers.

For the interim, an interest in lower priced ammo that does more than FMJ.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
The poop is the soft points are the most able to bring down game, but even they don't expand as much as they tumble, and the soft point does "blunt" so it's tearing more than cutting/poking through tissue/bone.

Best option would be expensive poly tipped rounds as noted, but at about 20.00 or more per 20 rounds, not very practical if you bought the Mini 30 for shooting more than a few deer every year.

I have found the "Herter's Select" ammo sold at Cabellas to be pretty good/consistant.It's poly coated steel cases, soft point and hollow point as well as ball, and the powder charge seems to be pretty consistant based on accuracy.

The bullet weights are lighter for the HP and Ball, slightly more heft for the SP.

Works well in my Stainless Mini 30, and goes bang every time. Some folks suspect that it's Tula ammo. But I don't know, don't care, it's cheap when I've bought it on special, goes bang, feeds fine, and did I mention it was cheap?

Paid about 4.00 per 20 last time around. Might have been 3.99 per box.
I was at Cabela's in Reno, Nv. last weekend. The "Herters select 7.62x39" is now rebranded S & B , brass, boxer (reloadable) for $11.99/box of 20. Not too bad considering the American made brands cost is about 2x that. I picked up my 5 box daily limit.

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,261 Posts
Reloads on the 7.62x39 would be the way to go, especially if you don't mind using .308 bullets, and "perfecting" just the right load.

I've often thought the design would be perfect for a suppressed weapon, you could load it with a heavy .308 bullet, 300g for example, reduced powder, and get a subsonic round that performs like a 300 Whisper, but will fire out of any AK/Mini 30 etc. (And you would not have to cut cases, etc.)

Even just standard reloads would be cheaper in the long run this way, at $ 12.00 per box, that's not too bad as you say for reloadable brass.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
I have a friend that hunts with a mini-30. From conversations with him, the Russian Softpoints don't expand like they should. They stay together, but still kill hogs and deer.

Lets not forget, even FMJ will kill any game animal if you put the shot where you are supposed to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ive heard problems with Tula and Wolf so i avoid it. The only metal cased ammo I shoot is Silver/Golden Bear which my mini LOVES. Theres still silver bear ammo out there, I just bought 500rds for $240 last week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.