Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My muzzlebreak is snug when I have the set screws tight, but there are some small gaps, by the front blade sight and behind the sight.

I was going to use some epoxy to fill in these gaps to prevent gas from escaping and staining my barrel. I also was going to put a little where the pin goes through. Can you guys think of any reasons why this would be unsafe? I know it might not last because of the heat, but I was going to try it anyway. BTW I have a bushmaster AK74 style muzzlebreak that fits over my sight and pins in place.

Thanks in advance for the info :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
bubba---This sounds pretty cosmetic to me & I don't see any problems. The gas pressure souldn't be that great but the heat may be. Whatever you use be sure the surface is clean & the epoxy will withstand several hundred degrees. The barrel won't (read shouldn't) get that hot but the gas may.

Good luck
Bushwack

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
It may smell funny when it gets hot. I would use a release agent on the barrel, and sight, in case some day you want to take it off.

You may want to go to the hardware/auto store, and check out liquid weld. I think it will stand more heat, some is stainless in color, but I'd still use release agent on the barrel, and sight.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi cajungeo,

If I use a release agent, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? The epoxy won't hold and just blow out after the first shot, right?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
No it won't, because you don't use the release agent on the inside of the muzzle brake. Therefore it bonds to the inside of the brake, not your barrel/sight. You must clean the inside of the brake to remove all the powder residue, and oils.

Note: even with the release agent on the barrel, there MAY be a mechanical lock form, which may prevent you from removing the brake, but you will have a lot better chance.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I see.. I think I will take your advice. I'm also talking about a VERY SMALL amount of epoxy, like a tiny fillet.

I might even try some blue lock tight as a sealant.......

Then again, I might just leave it alone :)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
loctite blue dosen't get hard, it is medium hold.

·
Registered
567 Posts
All Loctite thread locking adhesives get hard, it's just some are stronger holding than others. These adhesives are refered to a anarobic, which means they will only cure when oxygen is not present. Just in case you need a lot of Loctite thread locking compound it is available in handy 55 gallon drums.

Later
Bushwack

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you have a stainless mini, you might try some Metalset A-4. cures to an aluminum color, and is very tough. There is another, but I'm having a brain bubble at the moment. :eek: But I'd bet a bearing supply house would have a selection. And you'd then have enough left over to bed the stock! Lotsa stocks!!
Spud:usa:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts