Perfect Union banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
If you use the mags that have the front rib you will be ok with up to 168 grn projectiles.
It's not that the round is longer but the ogive of the bullet runs into the rib in the mag where a typical 5.56 round's neck would be. This will cause feeding issues. Solution, load your rounds shorter or mod your mags. If you are shooting lightweight supersonic 300BLK ammunition (<150gr), we recommend using a standard .223/5.56 magazine, as the geometry of most supersonic cartridges more closely mimics that of a .223/5.56 cartridge."

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine

·
Banned
1,052 Posts
If you use the mags that have the front rib you will be ok with up to 168 grn projectiles.
It's not that the round is longer but the ogive of the bullet runs into the rib in the mag where a typical 5.56 round's neck would be. This will cause feeding issues. Solution, load your rounds shorter or mod your mags. If you are shooting lightweight supersonic 300BLK ammunition (<150gr), we recommend using a standard .223/5.56 magazine, as the geometry of most supersonic cartridges more closely mimics that of a .223/5.56 cartridge."
oh sorry sparkie, this is the Mini 14 section. that is a AR15 mag. Cant mod the Mini 14 mags as they are made of steel.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Right you are! I would buy polymer mags and file the ribs down if using 190+ grn bullets, in a
300 BO Ruger. My point was to point out the difference in real 300 BO mags.
You only have to file about an inch of the upper part of the mag to use heavier bullets.
Suppressed 240 grn bullets work well on hogs.
5.56 or .223 Steel mags are a problem with heavy bullets if they have front ribs even in a Ruger.

Reactions: James T. Kirk

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
So I know you are quite the handy man as I am. So have you ever heard of spray on blueing? Amazon.com: Duracoat DuraBlue Spray On Bluing, Blue : Health & Household I guess it is made by "duracoat" and i have really been eyeballing this stuff for a while now but not to sure if it is a gimmick. But seems to be a solution.

and thank you for the detailed response. I like learning new stuff everyday and thats is totally new to me that a 300BO will go into a 223 chamber. Wow that has got to be some scary stuff.
I only saw it with an AR upper. I have never seen it occur with a Mini. The damage was impressive and luckily the shooter had minor injuries. My only suggestion is: if you own a .223 and a 300 Blackout and keep the ammo and the guns in the same room, DON'T ! Keep them apart. If all you do is blow up a gun you are lucky.
kwg

·
Formerly "raf"
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
The automatic and imperative caution that the user should always ensure they are using the correct ammunition for their firearm, always pertains.

That said, the M1/M-14/M1A bolt/receiver/firing pin interface is such that with a firearm in proper mechanical condition the firing pin is restrained from moving forward until and unless the bolt is fully closed.

IDK if this also true of the Mini-30/Mini-14. Given the similarities of the Mini action to that of its' "big brothers", it may be so, but perhaps not. I would not count on it until verified by an Expert. I would not count on this feature being present/effective in any M1/M-14/M1A untill also verified to be working as intended by an Expert.

Even then, no excuse to use incorrect ammo in any firearm.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The automatic and imperative caution that the user should always ensure they are using the correct ammunition for their firearm, always pertains.
Even then, no excuse to use incorrect ammo in any firearm.
🤦‍♂️I realize that I'm not at this level yet, so I stay TF away from .300 bo.

For a fact 7.62x39 will strip from a 5.56 ar magazine and try to chamber in a 5.56 chamber🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good sir, does it look like I would be the type of person that would be happy with just a piece of tape around a magazine with equipment like this?
View attachment 67291

I asked for real solutions not some Jerry rig BS.

I also would love to see those several Mini 14's, and M1 carbines in different calibers. And do those M1 carbines take the exact same looking magazines or is something like a Chippa 9mm carbine or the Ruger 10/22 in a M1 carbine style stock?

Remember... No Picture, No Proof
No it looks like you're the type of person that would not be happy with anything that anyone else uses. As for proof, all minis look the same, and so do most M-1 carbines. So, then you will get no proof because I'm not about to cater to your whims. Tape is just a quickie fix, but it works, and tape can be removed without damaging magazines. You can do what ever you want, but sitting up there on your high horse might make it harder to appreciate what others use. The M-1 carbines are in 9mm win mag, and 30 carbine. the 357 has a different mag, and so does the 45 win mag. Minis in 223, 7.62x39, and 6.8.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No it looks like you're the type of person that would not be happy with anything that anyone else uses. As for proof, all minis look the same, and so do most M-1 carbines. So, then you will get no proof because I'm not about to cater to your whims. Tape is just a quickie fix, but it works, and tape can be removed without damaging magazines. You can do what ever you want, but sitting up there on your high horse might make it harder to appreciate what others use. The M-1 carbines are in 9mm win mag, and 30 carbine. the 357 has a different mag, and so does the 45 win mag. Minis in 223, 7.62x39, and 6.8.
PS The correct term is "jury rig" not jerry rig.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Boy oh boy, if that aint a drop the Mic moment I dont know what is 🤣

Good job M92!
I stand corrected. I tried the 300 BO in four different chambers, but I didn't do any more than release the bolt, and didn't try to force the bolts closed. From the cutaway photo it is clear the the 300 BO will fit completely in a 223 chamber. Thanks for the education.

·
Formerly "raf"
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Going back to RIBob's original post, " a vender I've never used before". A grain of salt with that statement, if you've never used a particular vender, never recommend them. This is not to get under your skin in any way, but to protect other consumers. I've had web sites/vendors recommended that have very professional web sites listing all aspects of sport gear including, but not limited to, firearms, cheap loading components, ammo etc....
I personally will not do business that does not list a physical address or accept credit cards and only accept Zelle or Pay pal.
When prices on an unknown vender's web site seem too low for current market sales and have very good reviews, I scroll to the bottom of the page to find an address for the vender. I than go to google maps to locate the vender in question. The questionable venders, with a listed address, low prices and only accept Zelle or PayPal, all show an empty lot, defuncted business or residential house. I understand where you're coming from by letting others know of a deal.
Dack outdoors seems to be associated with Dack personal care products, listing a vague location as Cainsville, MO.
DD
No offense taken. It's always useful to be cautious about some small vendors and to do some research before buying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I stand corrected. I tried the 300 BO in four different chambers, but I didn't do any more than release the bolt, and didn't try to force the bolts closed. From the cutaway photo it is clear the the 300 BO will fit completely in a 223 chamber. Thanks for the education.
The only way that's occurring is a if you don't happen to realize a bullet over double the weight when loading from 5.56 to 300 aac. Second heavy subsonic and even supers above roughly 145 are highly unlikely ( aka it won't fit tried it with a 5.56 chambered rifle). Wouldn't fit now if you happen to try to and force it that's on you.

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
Trying to edit out the unproductive commentary would make a mess of this thread and destroy the useful information contained herein. Apologies to those undeservedly targeted.

Going back to RIBob's original post, " a vender I've never used before". A grain of salt with that statement, if you've never used a particular vender, never recommend them....
@RIBob was clear in his post, added disclaimers up front, and did not make a recommendation.

Until one tries an unknown vendor they will remain unknown. (See post #16)
(Someone I know just paid way more for way less; my red dots from that thread are working great!)

41 - 59 of 59 Posts