Perfect Union banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Formerly "raf"
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This discussion is beyond stupid, and getting into trolling.

I stand by my previoue comments and suggestions until/unless a credible Member has productive coments to add contrary to my initial comments, taken in full context.

I admit the possibility of my being mistaken, but unlikely in this instance.

I invite all Members to add to the conversation

·
Registered
8,724 Posts
can't add anything constructive Bob, maybe a bit taken aback with the bickering that sprouted that aside I surely wish someone would offer the 20 round M30 mag (7.62x39) genuine from Ruger for that price.
perusing the seller's site showed some interesting offerings. many of the guns listed as 'out of stock'. with all the antis stirred up I figure there will be some disappointed gun seekers. and some busy sellers.
my .02 thanks for posting.

·
Banned
1,052 Posts
Somehow, using .300 BO marked mags, identical to 5.56 mags, with 5.56 ammo, will kill someone?.

Really?
Refer to Post #6

This discussion is beyond stupid, and getting into trolling.
I see you like using quotes I have previously used
I stand by my previoue comments and suggestions until/unless a credible Member has productive coments to add contrary to my initial comments, taken in full context.
Got more credit than you do buddy, considering I've been here longer than you
I admit the possibility of my being mistaken, but unlikely in this instance.
So having a gun blow up in someone's face is being unlikely mistaken?
I invite all Members to add to the conversation
I think they see I have this covered considering no one else has responded in 24 hours
You make this way too easy bob. Considering the fact that members here have more than one Mini 14, it is not out of the realm of reality that someone, somewhere would have a 5.56 Mini14 and a 300BO Mini 14. As stated in post #6 "god forbid someone load a 5.56 round in their 300BO Mini 14." I can only imagine what damage can be done since I have never had a gun blow up on me or ever witnessed it. So yeah, having mags market 300BO with 5.56 ammo loaded up could potentially cause life threatening energies, if said person was not paying attention and grabbed the wrong mag loaded up with the wrong ammo, and uses it in the wrong rifle. Don't think to yourself that scenario could never happen, there are plenty of idiots in this world that could prove you wrong.

If you would have at least went into detail on how to get rid of the 300BO marking off the mag for the intended use of a 5.56 that would have been different, but you didn't. And for you not to go into a detailed explanation is kind of mind blowing considering your post history. If it were me, I would have at least gone into instructive detail on how to strip the finish off the mag and properly re-finish it so it wouldn't looked jacked up, and not be potentially hazardous. BUT YOU DIDN'T!!!

Credibility? Where is your guns? For the short 2 years you have been here I have never seen you post a single picture of any of your Mini 14/30/300BO's. The only thing I have seen you post is long winded ill advice to other members in this section. For all I know you could be a 12 year old kid on his mom's computer. There use to be a old saying here long before you joined these forums, "No pictures, no proof." PERIOD! I on the other hand have went above and beyond with my pictures of my 2 Mini 14's, and even gone as far as creating a youtube channel recording my excursions to have documented video proof of who I am, what I know, and what my Mini 14's are capable of. So has Sandog, so has KWG, so has RJF, so has Hylander, and many other members here in the past, except YOU.

Now, if you have asked yourself why I am so concerned about about the potential hazards of loading the wrong ammo in the wrong gun?... It is only because I fall in that bracket. As stated above I have 2 Mini 14's, one is chambered in 5.56, and the other has a Shilen Target barrel that is specifically chambered for .223 REM. only! What do you think would happen if I loaded up a 5.56nato round in a .223 REM. chamber. I don't know what what happen since I have never done it. Out of all my mags I have, one is specifically marked for .223 REM. so I wont make that mistake. The others mags I own are for 5.56nato. that is for my stock Mini 14. I don't not intend on ruining my face, body, and especially my rifle. I also encourage others to do the same if you own more than one Mini 14 in different chambers.

And one last point bob, you should really re-read your post #20 and think about what you have stated. Because what little credibility I had for you has gone out the window!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Refer to Post #6

You make this way too easy bob. Considering the fact that members here have more than one Mini 14, it is not out of the realm of reality that someone, somewhere would have a 5.56 Mini14 and a 300BO Mini 14. As stated in post #6 "god forbid someone load a 5.56 round in their 300BO Mini 14." I can only imagine what damage can be done since I have never had a gun blow up on me or ever witnessed it. So yeah, having mags market 300BO with 5.56 ammo loaded up could potentially cause life threatening energies, if said person was not paying attention and grabbed the wrong mag loaded up with the wrong ammo, and uses it in the wrong rifle. Don't think to yourself that scenario could never happen, there are plenty of idiots in this world that could prove you wrong.

If you would have at least went into detail on how to get rid of the 300BO marking off the mag for the intended use of a 5.56 that would have been different, but you didn't. And for you not to go into a detailed explanation is kind of mind blowing considering your post history. If it were me, I would have at least gone into instructive detail on how to strip the finish off the mag and properly re-finish it so it wouldn't looked jacked up, and not be potentially hazardous. BUT YOU DIDN'T!!!

Credibility? Where is your guns? For the short 2 years you have been here I have never seen you post a single picture of any of your Mini 14/30/300BO's. The only thing I have seen you post is long winded ill advice to other members in this section. For all I know you could be a 12 year old kid on his mom's computer. There use to be a old saying here long before you joined these forums, "No pictures, no proof." PERIOD! I on the other hand have went above and beyond with my pictures of my 2 Mini 14's, and even gone as far as creating a youtube channel recording my excursions to have documented video proof of who I am, what I know, and what my Mini 14's are capable of. So has Sandog, so has KWG, so has RJF, so has Hylander, and many other members here in the past, except YOU.

Now, if you have asked yourself why I am so concerned about about the potential hazards of loading the wrong ammo in the wrong gun?... It is only because I fall in that bracket. As stated above I have 2 Mini 14's, one is chambered in 5.56, and the other has a Shilen Target barrel that is specifically chambered for .223 REM. only! What do you think would happen if I loaded up a 5.56nato round in a .223 REM. chamber. I don't know what what happen since I have never done it. Out of all my mags I have, one is specifically marked for .223 REM. so I wont make that mistake. The others mags I own are for 5.56nato. that is for my stock Mini 14. I don't not intend on ruining my face, body, and especially my rifle. I also encourage others to do the same if you own more than one Mini 14 in different chambers.

And one last point bob, you should really re-read your post #20 and think about what you have stated. Because what little credibility I had for you has gone out the window!
I don't see how a 223 in a 300BO chamber would cause an explosion. It should enter the chamber, but it would be a loose fit, and if it even did fire, you'd think that the 223 bullet would just be blown down the bore. A 300 BO wouldn't even chamber in a 223 so no problem there.

·
Banned
1,052 Posts
I don't see how a 223 in a 300BO chamber would cause an explosion. It should enter the chamber, but it would be a loose fit, and if it even did fire, you'd think that the 223 bullet would just be blown down the bore. A 300 BO wouldn't even chamber in a 223 so no problem there.
I've used words like explosive, potentially hazardous, and life threatening. Either way it's not a good idea. And the OP suggested using 300BO marked mags for 5.56 nato. I'm just covering all the bases. Anything could happen, but still ill-advised. Do not try this to find out if a 5.56nato round will just be blown down the barrel of a 300BO for god sake.

·
Banned
1,052 Posts
Also it will definitely ruin your rifle, and with the prices of current Mini 14's these days it will definitely hurt your feelings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Going back to RIBob's original post, " a vender I've never used before". A grain of salt with that statement, if you've never used a particular vender, never recommend them. This is not to get under your skin in any way, but to protect other consumers. I've had web sites/vendors recommended that have very professional web sites listing all aspects of sport gear including, but not limited to, firearms, cheap loading components, ammo etc....
I personally will not do business that does not list a physical address or accept credit cards and only accept Zelle or Pay pal.
When prices on an unknown vender's web site seem too low for current market sales and have very good reviews, I scroll to the bottom of the page to find an address for the vender. I than go to google maps to locate the vender in question. The questionable venders, with a listed address, low prices and only accept Zelle or PayPal, all show an empty lot, defuncted business or residential house. I understand where you're coming from by letting others know of a deal.
Dack outdoors seems to be associated with Dack personal care products, listing a vague location as Cainsville, MO.
DD

·
Banned
1,052 Posts
If you have a black magic marker you can fix that little issue of "300 Blackout" written on that 5.56 magazine. Problem solved.
kwg
See there ya go KWG, that is at least some kind of suggestion, but come on buddy, I've seen your rifles, as well as you have seen mine. You know you are not gonna have mags that look jacked up in your rifle. How about something like what Sandog did to his as use a duracoat finish like he did on his mags to match the color of his rifles. Or something like sanding and polishing the mags to prep them for a cold blue finish? Lets get some real suggestion in here guys. Stop screwing about and lets do it right.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
See there ya go KWG, that is at least some kind of suggestion, but come on buddy, I've seen your rifles, as well as you have seen mine. You know you are not gonna have mags that look jacked up in your rifle. How about something like what Sandog did to his as use a duracoat finish like he did on his mags to match the color of his rifles. Or something like sanding and polishing the mags to prep them for a cold blue finish? Lets get some real suggestion in here guys. Stop screwing about and lets do it right.
I agree I want my magazines to look good like my rifles but there is a fix to this. I wish I had the space and the equipment to Cerro coat or spray my magazines to match my rifle. That would be wonderful. I don't have a 300 Blackout but the price of those magazines looks very inviting. I'm pretty sure the reason why Ruger marked the magazines with 300 Blackout was to limit their liability should someone make a bad decision.

None the less, if someone should buy this magazine with the intentions of using it in a .223 Mini 14 the markings really should come off or be covered permanently. How this is done is up to you. Magic marker or Cerro coat, the decision is yours. I think this would be in line with Ruger's mindset and why they made the distinction stamping them in the first place when in actuality the magazines are one and the same.

I can see where someone who isn't paying attention could swap the 300 Blackout to a .223 chamber and YES, the 300 Blackout will fit into a .223 chamber and it will go off. I have seen the results. It was in an AR and the bolt and upper receiver was destroyed and the barrel had about a 4 inch long bulge until the 30 caliber bullet stopped firmly in the barrel. I don't know if a .223 round will fit into a 300 Blackout chamber and still be detonated should the firing pin hit the primer. I have never seen it happen.

In reality, this might be why Ruger discontinued the 300 Blackout. It's just a matter of time before someone puts a 300 Blackout round in a Mini 14, if it hasn't already been done. The solution to me would be to mark the rifle in a more obvious way and NOT the magazines. The magazines really aren't the problem in my point of view. Every Mini 14 rifle looks exactly alike from just a foot or 2 away. Get in a hurry and grab the wrong rifle and a magazine with the wrong ammo. Oh yea ! Fireworks ! Failure to pay attention to details can get you hurt. We used to call this operator error back in my Army days.
kwg

·
Banned
1,052 Posts
I agree I want my magazines to look good like my rifles but there is a fix to this. I wish I had the space and the equipment to Cerro coat or spray my magazines to match my rifle. That would be wonderful. I don't have a 300 Blackout but the price of those magazines looks very inviting. I'm pretty sure the reason why Ruger marked the magazines with 300 Blackout was to limit their liability should someone make a bad decision.

None the less, if someone should buy this magazine with the intentions of using it in a .223 Mini 14 the markings really should come off or be covered permanently. How this is done is up to you. Magic marker or Cerro coat, the decision is yours. I think this would be in line with Ruger's mindset and why they made the distinction stamping them in the first place when in actuality the magazines are one and the same.

I can see where someone who isn't paying attention could swap the 300 Blackout to a .223 chamber and YES, the 300 Blackout will fit into a .223 chamber and it will go off. I have seen the results. It was in an AR and the bolt and upper receiver was destroyed and the barrel had about a 4 inch long bulge until the 30 caliber bullet stopped firmly in the barrel. I don't know if a .223 round will fit into a 300 Blackout chamber and still be detonated should the firing pin hit the primer. I have never seen it happen.

In reality, this might be why Ruger discontinued the 300 Blackout. It's just a matter of time before someone puts a 300 Blackout round in a Mini 14, if it hasn't already been done. The solution to me would be to mark the rifle in a more obvious way and NOT the magazines. The magazines really aren't the problem in my point of view. Every Mini 14 rifle looks exactly alike from just a foot or 2 away. Get in a hurry and grab the wrong rifle and a magazine with the wrong ammo. Oh yea ! Fireworks ! Failure to pay attention to details can get you hurt. We used to call this operator error back in my Army days.
kwg
So I know you are quite the handy man as I am. So have you ever heard of spray on blueing? Amazon.com: Duracoat DuraBlue Spray On Bluing, Blue : Health & Household I guess it is made by "duracoat" and i have really been eyeballing this stuff for a while now but not to sure if it is a gimmick. But seems to be a solution.

and thank you for the detailed response. I like learning new stuff everyday and thats is totally new to me that a 300BO will go into a 223 chamber. Wow that has got to be some scary stuff.

·
Registered
723 Posts

I've not used this vendor before, and there are some comments about them being slow to ship.

Apparently these are 5.56 mags with the ".300 AAC BLACKOUT" lettering applied.
Thanks for the heads up.
You posted a link for some mags, stated you never used this vender.
To bad people could not leave it at that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A piece of tape arpound a mag. I have several minis in different calibers, and several M1 carbines in different calibers, so a piece of tape around the mag IDs the caliber without altering the magazine.

kwg
I just tried to chamber a 300BO in 4 different 5.56 chambers, mini-14, SAR-4800, AR, and Daewoo, and it didn't fit completely into any chamber. Depending on the rifle, it did go about 90+% of the way into the chamber. It may be possible for a gun to fire the round, but you'd think that the design of the rifles should prevent any of them from firing unless the bolt is fully forward and locked.
Mark the rifle with a small piece of tape the same color as the tape on a magazine to ID the caliber of the rifle.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Just so you all know there are differences in the 5.56, .223 mag and the 300 BO.
The difference is the front rib is missing on the 300 BO mags, The reason for this is
in order to use 190+ slugs the ribs are removed to keep the rounds from binding.
Thank you both for allowing me to waste my time reading your 2 pages.

• Haha
Reactions: James T. Kirk

·
Registered
833 Posts
A piece of tape arpound a mag. I have several minis in different calibers, and several M1 carbines in different calibers, so a piece of tape around the mag IDs the caliber without altering the magazine.

I just tried to chamber a 300BO in 4 different 5.56 chambers, mini-14, SAR-4800, AR, and Daewoo, and it didn't fit completely into any chamber. Depending on the rifle, it did go about 90+% of the way into the chamber. It may be possible for a gun to fire the round, but you'd think that the design of the rifles should prevent any of them from firing unless the bolt is fully forward and locked.
Mark the rifle with a small piece of tape the same color as the tape on a magazine to ID the caliber of the rifle.

• Love
Reactions: James T. Kirk

·
Banned
1,052 Posts
Just so you all know there are differences in the 5.56, .223 mag and the 300 BO.
The difference is the front rib is missing on the 300 BO mags, The reason for this is
in order to use 190+ slugs the ribs are removed to keep the rounds from binding.
Thank you both for allowing me to waste my time reading your 2 pages.
Mini 14 magazine images form the Ruger website

#1. 20round Mini 14 5.56 mag with front rib
Font Cylinder

#2. 10round Mini 14 5.56 mag with front rib
Rectangle Automotive exterior Auto part Plastic Magenta

#3. 20round Mini 14 300BO with front rib
Musical instrument accessory Font Auto part Office equipment Event

#4. 10round Mini 14 300BO with front rib.
Camera accessory Auto part Plastic Font Electric blue

Looks like we got waste each others time Spark. But hey, it's not like you had anything else better to do.;)

·
Banned
1,052 Posts
Good sir, does it look like I would be the type of person that would be happy with just a piece of tape around a magazine with equipment like this?
Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Auto part

I asked for real solutions not some Jerry rig BS.

I also would love to see those several Mini 14's, and M1 carbines in different calibers. And do those M1 carbines take the exact same looking magazines or is something like a Chippa 9mm carbine or the Ruger 10/22 in a M1 carbine style stock?

Remember... No Picture, No Proof

·
Registered
723 Posts
Ok,
Since there was mention of the rib missing on the 300 BLK mag, I did a actual side by side comparison.
Other than the lettering for the 300 they are identical.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts