Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time back,maybe two months ago.An associate bought a Kimber 1991-a1.I saw him out in town one day and he wanted to show me his new prize.He pulled up his shirt to draw the weapon and Im still shocked at what I seen.He was carring the gun cocked ad locked,and had it in a open top horsehide Kramer holster.I about flipped I scorned him as if he were a child.But later felt bad about it and he took my advice.It is crazy to carry a cocked and locked pistol in an open top Holster right?? Shouldnt you most definantly carry it with a thumb break between the hammer and the firing pin?? If Im wrong please correct me.But that was a first for me. And this guy is fairly knowledgeable of firearms.Your opinions would be appreciated??

·
Registered
282 Posts
Don't be too hard on him. Remember that a 1911 has two or three (series 80,90) safeties. Proper retention can still be had with a high quality, boned holster. In other words it ain't gonna fall out and go boom.

Most ADs are caused by "operator headspace" and not the gun. With the proper experience and training I see no reason other than additional retention to use a thumb break on Series 80/90 guns especially.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Most of your more expensive 1911 concealment rigs are of the open top variety. I carry mine in a Wilsion Light Weight inside the waist band holster. It is an open top. The design of my holster actually has a molded in bend in the leather that holds the thumb safty in the on position. I'll admit, it took some getting used too, but I love it now!:2guns:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts