Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, been a hundred years since i was last here.
I have a 197 series Mini-14 with a ATI folding stock. I put a scope on it, well, because I have a few scopes lying around. I used a picatinny rail that I purchased from Amazon and it has a very secure fit. I then had some low mount scope rings and installed them on the rail, then the scope. So then, I take my Bushnell Professional Bore sighter and put that on to line up the scope...guess what, Its no where with in the vision of the scope. I've adjusted the windage and elevation to the max, and still cannot see the target in the bore sighter. Has anyone else experienced a similar scenario while trying to use this type of a bore site?
From what I can see, the darn scope needs to be nearly sitting right on top of the receiver to even to be able to see the target in the bore sighter.
So, if anyone out there has any advice for me as to what I need to do to get this scope lined up, I'd really appreciate it.

· Registered
111 Posts
I have a laser bore sight. It's good for about 25yds, which is enough to get up and running after installing a scope. I'd say its usefulness ends beyond getting me on paper with the first shot.

I'm unfamiliar with your mechanism, but you might try resetting the rail, and then double checking the mounts with little bits of turn like putting on a car tire, to ensure it isn't pulling one way or the other. That said, I had a new scope that was similarly wonky. The problem was internal, a factory oops, and set so far left that I had to adjust the windage completely right to center it. I didn't know that was the problem until I put the paper up close: "What's going on here?" If everything seems right but still isn't, you might try a different scope.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe I am going to try different rail and rings. What I have, is just too high above the receiver. I found that if I just set the scope right on top of the receiver, and still have the rings attached to scope, it will line up just about right. So my plan is to just get a set of Ruger low mount scope rings that attach right to the receiver notched areas and just ixnay the the rail altogether. And, most likely a different scope. The scope I have is a 30mm tube, and cannot seem to find what I want in the Rugers in the 30mm size.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts