Perfect Union banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This delightful old target rifle belonged to my deceased father, however my brothers and I can't seem to find much information about it.

Mossberg started the serial number system in the early 60's and this 1949 gun predates that by quite a few years. All we have to go on is the faint stamping on the barrel that reads: "O.F. MOSSBERG & SONS, INC.....NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A......46B (g) S-L-LR"

The (g) may very well be an (a), in fact. Stamping is slightly thin from years of wear and tear, but my brothers and I tend to think it looks g-ish.

We can't find a picture or description of this rifle and hoped someone out there might know how to help us.....so here I am. If anything, we'd like to know what the letter in parentheses signifies.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's an older model 46 B military training rifle, probably used during the big one. If that is the original 1907 sling it's a keeper. Rifle itself isn't worth much AFAIK but I certainly wouldn't part with it. The rear aperture sight and the ramped front sight are correct (not real sure about the hood tho) and I can't tell if the ramp for the rear elevation adjustment is on the rifle.

Maybe somebody will be along that is more knowledgeable than me. Thanks for showing a very interesting and neat little rifle.

·
Registered
267 Posts
On second glance it looks like the rear sight is complete too... Really nice old 22, I love 'em.

Does it have any US markings on it?

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I have a model 46T with the heavy target barrel. I got it back in the 80's the local dealer handed it to me and said get rid of this for me. He bought it as part of an estate and didn't want it. It was sorely broken. Someone had cut and re-welded the bolt handle. The firing pin was screwed up. The hammer was a mess. There were paint splatters on the stock. And the feed mechanism was faulty. It certainly wouldn't fire.

I restored the rifle last year one part at a time until I was done. It is now an excellent shooter with great accuracy. Still don't have the rear sight. But she lives again.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
The funny part is that they are so accurate and work well, but don't command much in the used market. That's why I sat on it for such a long time before I fixed it up. Plus lots of other projects.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts