Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the 1911's generally shoot a bit dirty? I've only owned the one and it is stainless so it shows all the carbon blow back and out and around really well but it does also seem to run fairly dirty.

Maybe I should be spraying it down with something that will help inhibit this?

The gun is a Remington R1 enhanced in stainless. It is a very good shooting gun and more accurate than I can shoot.

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,546 Posts
only part of a 1911 that absolutely HAS to be clean AND NOT OILED is the firing pin channel.........a bit of dirt everywhere else is fine (in the real world)

eventually it can cause wear, but on a stainless I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you want your handgun to function properly it should always be kept clean. If you want a maybe gun, just do not clean it, maybe it will work next time and maybe it will not work. Carbon does not just appear and stay at that level, it continues to build up.

A handgun is the last line of defense that you want to use, perhaps you have a knife, but 99% do not want to get that close, so keep your handgun clean and ready.
Ed

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,546 Posts
1911s were designed to be fired extensively after being dropped in a muddy trench.

every part on it functions as the next needed tool for disassembly

an empty case can be substituted for the recoil spring cap for as long as necessary provided you occasionally make sure the bushing isn't spinning

1911s aren't nearly as finiky as other modern pistols ..........unless you're talking insanely priced Les Baers, Ed Browns, etc.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
The 1911 has survived basically unchanged for 110 years. It was designed as a combat pistol for military forces, and incredibly durable and reliable. (otherwise it would not have survived unchanged for over 100 years! ) Personally, I am not a fan of recent efforts to "improve" the platform: rails for gooh-gahs to hang on it, reversed CZ style rails on slide and frame, etc., etc... Improved sights, grips, etc and good, but I like simple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts