Perfect Union banner

1903, 1903 A3, 1903 A4 information Available here.

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  surbat6 
#1 ·
This is my special place in life, Springfields and Mausers are spoken here. I am happy to help as I can.:usa:

#2 ·
Hi John, this is **** Dawg. I recently stumbled across a 1903 Springfield that has been sporterised. The front sight has been
changed to a redfield. It covers the barrel date. I don't know how to properly rate a fire arm. This one is in very good condition. has been drilled for a scope ( I wish people would leave these guns alone).The blueing is excellent. Both of these are the first bolt action guns I ever bought. I give 300 dollars plus tax for them. How did I do? Oh yea, the reason I went into the pawn shop was to buy a radio for my old truck.:D Thanks **** Dawg P.S. I got the sight off. It has a flaming bomb an 4-11 on the barrel the serial number is 472xxx A D9 on the bottom of barrel also a P up above the D9 the bolt has a D on it and is also handscribed with the same serial number. Where can I get a correct stock for it?:rapid:

#4 ·
Well let me ask a question or two first. I take it the barrel has not been cut down? As in it still has the area so you could put the original front sight back on? And you didn't mention anything about the ladder rear sight so I need to ask if you have that as well.

Now as for a stock. Well you can search and bid on ebay, gunbroker or even auctionarms as they all have 03 stocks come up. I believe the correct stock for your year would be a "S" stock.

You may also try Numrich and various other places like that for a stock. Be prepared for sticker shock when you see some of the prices these stocks can command.

You also need to understand that there are lots of miscellaneous pieces you'll probably need as well. All in all your probably depending on what is left with the actual rifle looking at minimally $100 to fix it back to stock if not more depending on what parts you need and how little or much they cost you to get.

Hope that helps some. Oh and the reason I know - doing the same thing to a 03 MK I right now.

#5 ·
Hi Tlynn, thanks for the info. The barrel has not been cut. I don't have the back sight. Any info on the bolt? I sure like it. I was told it all matched but he wasn't for sure. It is a pre-war gun. Thanks again **** dawg:usa:

#6 ·
First here's a sight where you can find some info - may or may not help you.
http://www.oldguns.net/

Second, your Springfield 03 is a fairly early gun built in 1911. The numbers on it is low (under 800,000) which many people say can make them an unsafe rifle to shoot. I know quite a few people who do shoot them so I'm not sure how to advise you on that.

If you give me a specific thing you need I can try and look it up for you and help or give you links of where you can look and/or ask questions.

Oh and on that rear sight - your going to need a barrel band that is heat fitted to the barrel. Be prepared for the rear sight and barrel band to spend a fair amount of money unless you hit it lucky on e-bay or someplace else.

Happy shooting - and hey what type of mauser did you score?

#7 ·
The modifications to your rifle (especially the receiver), automatically place your rifle in the "NRA Fair" condition category, in spite of any remaining finish. "Re-mil-ing" your rifle (bringing it back to more-or-less as-issued appearance) would not appreciably upgrade its value to a collector, around $300, if my references aren't too out-of-date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.