Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up a few days ago, too bad the stock had been sporterized.
Cleaned up the stock, added some linseed oil and tested it at the range. Shot right on at 100yds with Winchester 180gr Power Point factory ammo.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Congrats and nice job of prettying her up. Good looks and a shooter, too!

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
I have a similar looking model except for the fact that mine looks old and yours looks sweet. The Krag is a fine rifle.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I remember shooting a Krag with a "sporterized" stock (butchery!) more than 50 years ago. I still remember the glass smooth action and the ability to top off the magazine with a round in chambered. The .30-40 Krag round is a proven deer-taker and pretty darn accurate at the ranges it was designed for. I would sure love to find one at a reasonable price. They were practically giving them away back then, but still beyond the means of an impoverished teen-ager. The Mauser was (and is) a superior rifle in nearly all respects, but the Krag is just too practical and fun to shoot. If cheap .30-40 brass in quantity was available, it would be a reasonable SHTF piece.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yesterday I bought a shell holder and neck sized only using a 308 Winchester die. I loaded 30 shells with a variety of powder, working up loads with Hornady 180gr round nose and 147gr fmj's.

Returned home to fine tune the 180gr Hornady loads and returned to the range.
First was three shots at 100yds, under 1-1/2".
47gr vintage H4831, 180gr Horn RN, CCI Mag primers.

Second was four shots at 100yds.
45gr of W-760

Looked through the binoculars after every shot, watching the hole get slightly bigger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts