Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
You can call Ruger to verify the serial # and make sure you don't have a Frankin rifle.

·
Registered
602 Posts
185 mini 30s do exist.
I rember seeing a 185 number Mini 30 for sale on GB a while back. Seller was claiming it was rare. Probabally a Ruger screw up with a small batch of Mini 30 produced with M14 serial number or maybe factory re tooled 14 reciever? I imagine it was made in the time of the 185 mini 14s 1987-90. Pretty sure it would ne the early model with the .308 bore. Best thing to do is call ruger to find out manufacture date and info. 603-865-2442

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine

·
Registered
39 Posts
That sounds about right. The Mini-30 was Ruger's response to the failure of the XGI 7.62 NATO project in the mid 80s. The pre-production dealer samples worked pretty well. But, (and, it's a BIG but, that they still haven't solved, 30 years later) they couldn't get a production gun working. I still remember the ads for the mini 30, pushing it as a deer rifle with a photo of a woman in a cowboy hat on the pages of the American Rifleman. That was typical of Ruger in the 80s. They'd announce a product before they had it built. Then, they'd introduce it before they had the kinks worked out. Does anyone remember the P-85? What a POS! But, they eventually ironed out most of the kinks. It's still making money for them today. The magazine floorplate design still sucks, though. I can't tell you how many of those things I've seen field strip themselves when they hit the ground. It is really a love-hate relationship. What can I say?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.