Perfect Union banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m going to start reloading for my 181 series mini 14. I need to know the rate of twist for my barrel and maybe some pointers for bullet weight and components. I do have some H4198 on hand and some IMR 3031. The Hornady manual has quite a lot of data for bullets 40 to 90grns but I just figured someone would help take out a lot of guess work for my 181 series. I realize every gun has a mind of it`s own.

Thanks to all,
Burch :)

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
181 is a 1" in 10" twist rate,I have found in mine(2) that 60-70 grain bullets perform very well,however I use h-4895 powder,I guess that 3031 would work ok with these heavier bullets,but I see that 4198 seems to work better for the lighter bullets.;)

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I used to shoot the 52 and 53 grain bullets out of mine and shot OK. I've since had the barrel replaced because nothing shot good. If I were to do it again I would try the same bullet and 25 grains of AA2230. The point of impact was really different using 4895 vs H335 or AA2230. With the stick powder it was hitting the target low and right and with the ball powder it was closer to center. Of course, it's a simple sight change but it was annoying. Same bullet two different points of impact. kwg

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:)kwg020-check your load data,and I'll bet you'll find the pressures are not quite the same for the ball vs. stick powders,also notice that the ball powder has a slower burn rate but a higher pressure.........causing the bullets to "print" differently on the target.:huh:

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Thanks Mag. I assumed there were different pressures. All I knew was one powder shot different from the other two so I dropped the one powder (4895) for the Mini 14. I use it in a 30-30. kwg

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
You might try 65 gr Sierra sp, I load with 22 gr RL 10 and 60 gr Vmax with 22 gr RL 10 and col of 2.250 on each. Each mini is different, some may like the 40-45 gr bullets others may go heavy with 60-70 gr. Mine works well with 55-65 gr and Reloader 7 and 10. I like the faster powders since I cut my barrel to 16 1/4".;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I must say that having luck with over 60 grains in a 1 in 10 mini is QUITE RARE. I haven't shot 60 grainers, but 62 and 64 couldn't chase tincans at the range in mine. Same rifle gets 2moa consistently (appx 2" @100yds) with Hornady 55 grain fmjbt's ahead of win 748 or wc846 and no41 primers in mix and match brass.

My opinion for 1in10 minis is that 55 is ideal, but lighter is OK. A little heavier and you may find you are throwing up terrible patterns. Mine did.

PS 55 grainers will shoot fairly well in nearly any .223 barrel twist.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I must say that having luck with over 60 grains in a 1 in 10 mini is QUITE RARE. I haven't shot 60 grainers, but 62 and 64 couldn't chase tincans at the range in mine. Same rifle gets 2moa consistently (appx 2" @100yds) with Hornady 55 grain fmjbt's ahead of win 748 or wc846 and no41 primers in mix and match brass.

My opinion for 1in10 minis is that 55 is ideal, but lighter is OK. A little heavier and you may find you are throwing up terrible patterns. Mine did.

PS 55 grainers will shoot fairly well in nearly any .223 barrel twist.
mine has a 1 in 9 twist and its very finicky about any loading using a 60 to 62 grain projectiles usually I can get a load dialed in and shoot decent. But with 55 grain projectiles she's not fussy at all I can whip up just about any combination of components and she'll shoot under 5 inches at 100 yards with open sights and with glass she'll do 2" or better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, is their anything 55gr. that`s cheap ? I`ve tried the V-Max and although it works very well it`s pricey. I know i`m looking for a miracle but a cheap 55 grainer would be real nice. :D

Burch

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've seen surplus military pulled 55's for as cheap as 2.6cents, but not for quite a while. I load Hornady 55fmjbt's and they are fairly competitive pricewise, and pretty accurate/consistent for a non-match bullet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts