Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm consiereing expanding the collection...
What is the basic difference between the 180 series and the 181 & newer series Mini 14's. There apperrs to be more of the mechanics exposed at the rear of the reciever. What is that? Is there any practical reason these guns should be avoided?
Pros / Cons & opinions wanted!

Thanks,
goodorbit:rolleyes:

·
Registered
685 Posts
nothing wrong with the 180-181 that i know of.i shot one that is a friend of mine and besides the crap mag it is ok(worked good w/factory fives). before you get one consider the after market scope mounts that are out there and see if you would't like to go with a newer model because of ease of mounting a scope. oh yea the wood hand guard cracked on my friends gun....later

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I sorta like the wood handgaurd thing. I think if I want to use a scope I'll skip directly to a ranch model. No idea what the exposed mechanism is all about?

Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a mini # 180-5XXXX. I love it! 76 model, it has "MADE IN THE 200TH YEAR OF AMERICAN LIBERTY" etched on the receiver. Wood handguards much more pleasing to the touch although it does get hot with prolonged firing. The extra stuff is the bolt catch/release that I think is more like the ones on the M-1.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ryebread!

Does an older mini function as well as the new ones?

Any truth to "They don't make um like they used to!"?

I do like the looks of the wood handgaurds;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have put over 1500 rounds through the 180 since I got it with no problems other than those caused by some cheap mags. It showed signs of wear when I got it. I think I am not the only one to put it through its paces. Hard to tell if accuracy has suffered much, due to the roughness of the ghost ring sights, but it puts all the shots on the paper just as well as anything else I have. I don't have as much personal experience with the newer minis but I am about to. I just put a third down on a preban folding stock mini GB in stainless!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great I'm sure you'll be Happy with the GB folder- Funny, I'm going at it the other way around. Now I'm looking for an old all wood sleeper.;)
"Hey nice old rifle! Look at all that nice old wood work!" :cool:
A little more low key than the AW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts