Perfect Union banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into options to improve the front sight on my 186 series mini 14 and was curious about a couple options. I want something a little more accuracy oriented than than the single blade that's on it. At first I was considering just the Choate m14 look alike or John Masens muzzle brake since my barrel isn't threaded. Given those two options which have yall found to be the better sight? I thought about making one so I can use my AR or AK posts but without having the barrel threaded I would still not have a muzzle device. That's really not a problem but Ive considered making this a somewhat m14 looking build and the flash suppressor or brake would look better then. Also I don't remember seeing a flash suppressor like that with 1/2-28 threads if I did ever thread the barrel.

So how is the quality of these two sights and their muzzle devices? If you own one do you have any regrets or are happy with the item.

Thanks,

Major

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I have no experience with either the Choate or the Masen brake. However, you should take a look at the Mo-Reaper. It's a pin-on brake/front sight that uses AK/SKS/Galil threaded posts.

I've been trying to get them to make a 'Reaper without the brake... ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the cross pin cuts from the factory front sight still visable with the Choate version? It doesnt quite look long enough to cover that unless it slides over more of the barrel than I think.

·
Registered
298 Posts
No, the original roll pin slot, is hidden with the Choate Flash Hider. You will have to have at least one and maybe two new roll pin slots drilled. Some Choate's only have one slot, other's have two, like mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
...and if they ever produce one with a large enough I.D....

I seriously want that, myself, but according to GunDoc, boring that dude out to flanged 580-up diameter would make it ridiculously thin. :(
Choate makes this flash hider for the 580+ flangged barrel Mini's (along with the Bird Cage Flash Hider). Why would the I.D. of the flash hider have to machined out? :confused:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Choate makes this flash hider for the 580+ flangged barrel Mini's (along with the Bird Cage Flash Hider). Why would the I.D. of the flash hider have to machined out? :confused:
Choate Machine & Tool

Based on the website above and my e-mails with their tech team (e.g., Fred Choate), they only make the Cage-style FH for 580s.

According to GunDoc, the O.D. of the "fat" 580-up barrel is larger than the pencil barrel, which would require machining out the I.D. of the flash hider (in order to attach it to the muzzle). Not saying the rest of the FH would have to be machined out, just the back end.

Also, the roll pin is in the wrong place, so you'd have to either fill the old FH hole and drill a new one, or cut a new slot in the 580-up barrel for the roll pin.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Choate Machine & Tool

Based on the website above and my e-mails with their tech team (e.g., Fred Choate), they only make the Cage-style FH for 580s.

According to GunDoc, the O.D. of the "fat" 580-up barrel is larger than the pencil barrel, which would require machining out the I.D. of the flash hider (in order to attach it to the muzzle). Not saying the rest of the FH would have to be machined out, just the back end.

Also, the roll pin is in the wrong place, so you'd have to either fill the old FH hole and drill a new one, or cut a new slot in the 580-up barrel for the roll pin.
At no time has the Choate Flash Hiders roll pin slot(s) matched the factory roll pin slot. And, they either have one or two roll pin slots that will need to be drilled, to secure the Flash Hider.

I wrote chote on 11.25.2012 asking about Flash Hider's for the 189 series Mini-30 I have. I was told on 11.26.2012, in a response back, that they produce both flash hiders for the 580 +, which will actually fit the .625 dia barrel of my 189 series Mini-30.

I guess it all depends on who you get on the other side? Sounds like you got the man himself.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Hmm... If that's the case, my Christmas list just got a little longer... :lol:

I sent a question to Choate about the M14 Look-Alike, and I sincerely hope you're right. Last time I contacted them (6 months ago), Fred advised they didn't and probably wouldn't ever make it for the new rifles.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'd like to hope, who ever wrote the response back to me, was correct. Sometimes though, you never know...

Choate's website looks as if the don't put a lot in to it. That is the reason why I sent and email asking about the 189 series Mini-30. They don't even list a Mini-30 Flash Hider.

Will keep the fingers for you none the less. Sounds like it would be a cool Chritmas present for ya!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well that is a bummer for a couple of different reasons.

One, they should offer the M-14 copy for the 580+ series rifle and two, who ever responed to my email, wasn't true with what they said. That bother's me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mini-14 Sights

This reply is almost a year late but it may help others. I have had all three front sights and currently have the Mo-Reaper. Back in 1987 I installed the Choate M14 long style sight. The sight was good but after a couple bump fires the metal between the flash suppressor slots cracked and started to bow out wards. Don't know if they have had problems since then. I was just a kid and didn't contact them. I then put on the Choate M16 style. It worked good for many years but I always wanted the longer look of the M14 flash suppressor. Two years ago I purchased the John Masen muzzle break. I had to crank my rear sight all the way down and it was still shooting about a foot high at 200yds. I sent the sight back to them and they sent a replacement but I never tried it. I had already purchased the Mo-Reaper sight. The Mo-Reaper is awesome. We just plink at the range 50 - 400yds, don't actually shoot at paper targets, and the reaper keeps me on target. Not sure if it's the compensator, hooded sight picture, or both, but I love it. Hope this helps out.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
This reply is almost a year late but it may help others. I have had all three front sights and currently have the Mo-Reaper. Back in 1987 I installed the Choate M14 long style sight. The sight was good but after a couple bump fires the metal between the flash suppressor slots cracked and started to bow out wards. Don't know if they have had problems since then. I was just a kid and didn't contact them. I then put on the Choate M16 style. It worked good for many years but I always wanted the longer look of the M14 flash suppressor. Two years ago I purchased the John Masen muzzle break. I had to crank my rear sight all the way down and it was still shooting about a foot high at 200yds. I sent the sight back to them and they sent a replacement but I never tried it. I had already purchased the Mo-Reaper sight. The Mo-Reaper is awesome. We just plink at the range 50 - 400yds, don't actually shoot at paper targets, and the reaper keeps me on target. Not sure if it's the compensator, hooded sight picture, or both, but I love it. Hope this helps out.
Were did you get the handguard? I want one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
M-14 Handguard on Mini-14

It's just a surplus M-14 handguard. The front lip fits good after I trimmed the sides with a dremel. Shortened the receiver end I think by about 3 inches. I had an old cracked factory handguard and riveted the retaining clip from it to the M-14 handguard. I smoothed the rivet down and filled the center with JB weld so it isn't real noticeable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts