Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found an old mini 14 (180-series) that has been in storage for over 15 years. I believe that it has fewer than 1000 rounds fired through it. My problem is that the bolt is stuck in the forward position, and I can't seem to recock it or even move the op rod for that matter. It appears to be in good condition (i.e. no rust, etc). I can't disassemble it since I can't move the op rod to cock it.

I am thinking of taking it to a gunsmith to see what they can do - since I was not the last one to fire it I have no idea what has happened to it.

Does anyone have any ideas???

Thanks

·
Registered
540 Posts
There's a fired shell in the chamber that has corroded! :cool:
No, wait, I have it! - The end of the op rod has frozen to the gas nozzel due to corrosion and excessive carbon build-up. :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey blah, we may be able to help ya, but we need to narrow it down some.
(1) is the op-rod free to move aft aprox 1/4"? if not STOP!, and post on this thread. if yes go to step 2
(2) by using 2 fingers of your choice can you press alternately on either side of the bolt and get a little rocking action? If not there is probably a spent cartridge in there! Someone probably fired a hot reload, and just left it? I believe I could fix it, but if this sounds too hariry for ya take it to a smidy. I would double check the bore with a cleaning rod to make shure bore was clear all the way to case head, if not STOP! and post on this thread, if yes, then take a steel cleaning rod, and tap with a hammer, while someone holds mini by the muzzle, and pushes down with their foot on the op-rod handle. This should safely jar loose the brass, but I expect the brass is discentigrated, and the head will come off, but at least its cocked so you can take the trigger , & stock off. Now if you get this far, you may still have to take it to a smidy, because of galvanic action (a current flow due to dissemler metals) for 15 yr. Usually the softer metal gets the brunt of the corrosion, hopefully the brass. I would clean, the bore especially the chamber, then check chamber/bore cracks, and pitting with a bore scope. Keep us posted, Good Luck!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
hmmmm, very interesting, next I would check as in step 2 above for bolt movement. If yes Then I would remove the gas block (4 screws), (don't loose the small parts, the gas busing is very small.), and using a wooden (Not metal!) dowel rod insert it in the hole in the end of the op-rod and push see if you get any movement. Try to determine if the op-rod is bound on the gas block end or the bolt end. Inspect the gas piston for a gouge or impact damage. Also see if forearm liner is in the stock. This is what guides the op-rod to receive the gas piston. Let us know how this turns out. If you don't have a manual, this is susposed to be how ya take a mini apart.
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/7719/rug...isassembly.html

·
Registered
716 Posts
Personally, I would take it right to a gunsmith. Unless you are CERTAIN there isn't a round in the chamber, doing anything to that gun could potentially fire it if the round is still active! :eek:

Let the smith take the responsibility.

If you are certain that there isn't a round in the chamber, then a sharp tap to the appropriate spot may be all that is needed to pop it open.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, there was no round in the chamber, and the end of the op rod was stuck in the gas nozzle. It just looks like there was a lot of corrosion at the end of the op rod and in the hole of the gas nozzle. Now I need to clean the rifle, have it checked out mechanically and take it to the range!

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who gave their input to help me out. I found this website about a month ago, and have found some great info. I am sure that those of you who have been on here a while see the same questions over and over from newbies, but I do appreciate the feedback and help!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey Blah -
Glad we could help, but I gotta know...
What exactly did you do to discover the problem??
Did you jump on the op rod like you kick start a motorcycle or somthing like that?
I want the play-by-play.
:beer:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks djskit, I was trying to save myself the embarrassment of my very technical solution....

Once I had satisfied myself that there was not a round stuck in the chamber, I found that there was a little play with the bolt. Not much, but enough such that I was sure that the problem wasn't with the bolt itself. Everything pointed the the op rod haveing no movement whatsoever. I figured that a little brute force was inorder, and that the worst that could happen would be me breaking something on the op rod or gas tube, and having to take the mini to a 'smith to fix the mess anyway.

My technical solution....was to slam the little handle of the op rod against a metal tool box several times. As it turns out, that was enough force to dislodge the end of the op rod from the gas nozzle. As you originally mentioned, I have a lot of carbon and orange corrosion that was gumming up this connection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts