Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 180 series for a few years now (180-06*** actually). But for one, it doesn't have the wooden top cover, but what seems to be a 181 series poly cover. In addition to this, it has the threaded flash hider and the recessed front sight/bayonet lug. I've spent a life's eternity milling another ejector and a few other parts for it, and refinished and re-blued a few of the parts. My assumption, though, ignoring the 181 cover, is that this is some sort of GB/180 series mix that someone threw together. Am i right with that or did ruger actually manufacture this kind of setup back in the day?

·
Registered
166 Posts
To be real,

Your receiver was made sometime in '75. The 181's didn't come out until '78 so I don't think Ruger did it. Any special markings anywhere on the rifle? Could have been sent back for warrant work before they stopped working on them, just don't know.

Where did you get it, and did you know the seller? Lots of unscrupulous people in the world, especially at fun-shows!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 180 series and have enjoyed shooting it. A few tricks and it shoots better than when it came from the factory. To the best of my knowledge, Ruger made the 180s with the wood top cover only and the in the later series the changes were made. It was origionally made to replicate the M14.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I might guess that someone changed out the hand guard to look like a 181 so they could make a sell but the GB look tells me it was law enforcement or prision issued weapon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts