Perfect Union banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum and have a question for you.

I have a early 180 series mini and decided to order some new parts for it..springs, gas bushing, piston etc.

The question I have is I took the gas block off to replace the gas bushing and piston and found out it is a threaded piston unlike the slide in piston that is readily available. Where can I get one of these? I kind of have to replace it now since I scuffed up the piston a little bit from trying to get it out...not realizing it was a screw in. Any help in locating one of these would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Banned
7,402 Posts
Good luck! None of the parts you mentioned are currently made, and finding them is like a needle in a haystack. Your best bet may be to buy a parts gun (if you can find one) for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
This looks like it's in good shape. Why do you need a new piston? You should be able to replace springs but some parts like this may just need cleaning.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The gas pipe shown in your picture is available many places for around $7......here's one for example:

Ruger Piston Gas Pipe Ruger Mini-14 Mini-30

The part number is MS03600, or in the case of the stainless model, KMS03600
That part isn't threaded like the OP's, unfortunately.

The 180s are difficult to repair, as they're no longer supported by Ruger and have never really been supported by the aftermarket...

If all that's wrong with it is scuffs, I'd take some sandpaper to it and smooth it out. Don't remove much material, just make it smooth again. No need to go digging (and paying through your nose) for a part you didn't have to replace. ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I own a 180 series also. And a 581. I actually like the 180 series better. Had it chopped to 16 1/4" and Mo-Reaper brake added. The 180 series had a good deal more machining to it's manufacture and is a great light carbine. Your piston only needs some emory cloth to smooth out the gouges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts