Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I went ahead and purchased another stripped Spikes lower and a CMMG lower parts kit. I'm trying to decide what type of rifle to build.

I have already settled on 5.56mm as my chambering due to already having ammo, mags, and and another complete LMT M4 style weapon.

I would like to have a pretty decent 5-600m rifle.

I'm trying to decide between 18" and a 20" barrel. What are some good barrels and manufacturers and which length would be better? I'm familiar with the M16A4 and A2 however, I would like to squeeze a little more accuracy out of it then a standard M16. 1 MOA would be nice and and asthetically speaking, fluted barrels would be nice as well.

I'm also trying to decide between ported or threaded (for a muzzle device, not a suppressor)

Also I'm looking for a scope with a Horus type reticule pattern.

I have built several M4's recently, however, this is going to be my first precision rifle and since I'm spreading out the cost by purchasing parts and assembling myself over a period of time, cost will not be as much of a factor.

Also what are some good muzzle brakes? I have experience with the Effin A comp and the Troy Medevial muzzle brake and both have been pretty darn decent.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I personally prefer a 20" barrel but I can't say that it would make that much difference in accuracy over an 18". I would probably look at Krieger for a really nice expensive barrel. I used a Bison Armory Barrel on my 6.8SPC build which I am pretty sure are E.R. Shaw barrels and have had good results from it. Personally, from an accuracy standpoint, I would go with Stainless. I will probably get some argument there but I feel stainless barrels offer the best accuracy and performance overall. If you do go with carbon steel barrel, stay away from anything chrome lined. Chrome lining is for longer durability and high round count in service rifles and not designed for the best accuracy.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I went with this barrel and I have 12 weeks to explain to my wife why I spent $500 bucks on just a barrel.. LOL
18" Hex Cut Barrel

and I bought a blemished upper from Bravo so I feel even less bad about rattle canning the whole thing.. I have this horrible "Punisher" logo on my lower that needs covering..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My buddy has a 20 inch barrel in this configuration and I watched him shoot fist sized groups at 500m and he's not that great of a shot. I am pretty inpressed with it and it looks pretty sharp.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,
My barrel finally showed up from Legion Firearms yesterday. I was sutably impressed overall with the looks and feel. I was finally able to assemble and paint my DMR build for the first time and it LOOKS AWESOME!

Pics will follow once I get off duty and have the ability to upload pics.

This is a complete breakdown of my build.

Spikes "punisher" lower... (Only one I could get my hands on in the area the day after Sandy hook) Planned on painting it so it didn't really matter.

LMT 2 stage match trigger and LPK
H marked buffer and milspec buffer tube with VLTOR EMod stock

Bravo Co stripped upper (blemished with forward assist and dust cover)
Milspec Bolt carrier and Colt Bolt
Charging handle with Badger tac latch

Legion Firearms 18" Hex cut barrel w/ midlength gas system
Midwest Industries 12" freefloat quad rail. (not the one I wanted and it was ordered by mistake, however, it looks nice)

Bennie ****** comp

Paint job
Fully coated in rustoleoum FDE then striped with dark brown then covered in a piece of cammie net and dusted with flat dark green.

Optic will be a
Weaver Grand slam tactical in a Primary Arms mount with a upper reciever mounted red dot on a 45 degree mount

Bipods will either be Harris or something like that.

The only issue I had was installing the comp as it didnt want to thread on freely. I simply mixed some very fine polishing compound with CLP and uti it on the threads and just kept threading it on and off gradually tightening it down until it finally went on like it was supposed to. Then I took it off and used WD40 to clean off the threads, dried them off, applied locktite and then reapplied the Comp

·
Registered
343 Posts
So how is that rustolum holding up for cleaning?
I'd love to see some pics!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PICS as promised. I added the harris bipods, quick disconnect, and 45 degree offset mount. I still need to buy a quality scope and micro red dot then it will be complete. But you can get the idea.

Also I dont clean the paint lol just dust another coat on. Once it gets too thick then you just use paint thinner/acetone to strip it then start over with a new design. :D:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Looks pretty sick man!

The barrel is a bit too wild for my tastes, glad ya love it!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
due to the Hex cuts (they shave off 8 oz) it is 18" but points like a regular 16" M4. I absoutely love this gun. It is the first one that I have built from the ground up for myself EXACTLY the way I want it. :D: I build them all the time for other people but this is only my 3rd build for myself

·
Registered
343 Posts
I like it!!
That hex barrel looks better than the fluted ones!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Wow 8oz?! Thats nuts!

·
Registered
182 Posts
...I would like to squeeze a little more accuracy out of it then a standard M16. 1 MOA would be nice and and asthetically speaking, fluted barrels would be nice as well. QUOTE]

Looks pretty darn good!

You crack me up..."asthetically speaking"...HA!

By golly your right, that barrel looks awesome and your paint job turned out great too!

Who says they have to be blued steel & walnut to be asthetically pleasing anyway.

I think I've achieved a more accurate AR myself, but I cant be sure until I can find some ammo to put through the darn thing...:wacko:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL thanks BRL :D:
So I went to the range yesterday... I was that douchebag.. The only range within an hours drive that will allow rifles is a 25 yd indoor range... So I made do but I was that douchebag with the cammie painted M16 shooting prone off of bipods at 25 yds.. LOL I ran about 100 rounds through it like so.

10 individual rounds punching the bore with a bore snake in between each round to break in the barrel.

10 rounds to zero 3,3,&4 then punched the barrel.

After that I ran about 80 rounds through it in groups of 10, shooting at 1" pasties. I quickly got bored putting 10 rounds through the same hole in the center of the pasties so I packed up and came home and cleaned my new baby.

No malfunctions to report even with my homemade 20 round mag. (cut down brownells aluminum 30 rounder) which honestly suprised the hell out of me. I can't get my hands on any 20 rounders here even though I have offered to trade brand new in the wrapper USGI 30 rounders with the new anti-tilt followers in a 1 for 1 swap.

I had a 30 rounder with a cracked feed-lip so I decided to try and cut it down to 20 rounder size with a dremel... It actually worked and looks halfway decent for a range mag.

·
Registered
182 Posts
usmc0341;755915...I had a 30 rounder with a cracked feed-lip so I decided to try and cut it down to 20 rounder size with a dremel... It actually worked and looks halfway decent for a range mag.[/QUOTE said:
Looks halfway decent...asthetically speaking of course...;)

I cut (butchered) this Mini-30 USA 30 round mag. down, (along with everything else) and it actually became more reliable. :blink:

I can picture everybody at the range watching you all hunkered down in a prone position, carefully sniping away with your tricked out AR...at twenty five yards. :D ...you weren't wearing camo fatigues by chance? :lol:

Hey it's working, accurate, and asthetically pleasing right? :cool:

I like personally modified AR's! :cool:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL the 20 rounder in the gun is a factory one. The one I cut down still has a slight curve... That came out wrong but you know what I mean! No cammies! I wear em enough at work that I wouldn't be caught dead in them anywhere else. I did have my ghillie suit though :D:

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
You know, back when I was in, we were not allowed to wear our fatigues off post. Now you see guys everywhere in them. I wonder what changed (besides the issuing of BDU's I mean)? If we wanted to travel in uniform it had to be Class A uniform.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Marines are still not allowed to wear cammies off base. All the other branches have orders against it as well but no one enforces it.. You shouldn't EVER see a Marine off base in cammies. If you do PLEASE kick him the hell out of where ever he/she is! You have mine and the Commandant of the Marine Corps Permission lol.
We can't travel in ANY uniform either unless it is a deployment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts