Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the 17VS and shot several gtoundhogs with it before I really had a chance to sit down at the bench and mess with it. I put a 6x18 Redfield (1976 vintage) on it. I was absolutely amazed at how this thing will shoot!!! It shot .449 at 100 yards. I couldn't stop myself so I had to shoot 200 yards. 2 groups averaged .877!!! A rimfire at 200 yards under an inch. The drop is rather significant at 200. Sighted 1.5" high at 100 will be right at 6"low at 200. I managed to kill a measured and witnessned groundhog at 202 yards!! The little pill is running out of steam at that distance though! Hit in the jaw with bullet terminating in throat he still managed about 10 feet of crawling. Up to 160 yards, head or neck shots are DRT(dead right there)! Let us know what your experiences are with this thing!!! GHD

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
&mm, It's a Marlin 17VS. I got from my local dealer. He ordered 24 guns at the shot show. 16 Marlins, 7 Rugers.and a New England. He has gotten 2 Rugers (1 of which he still has 77/17 blue and wood) and the New England. The New England misfired about 3 out of the first 8 shots and got sent back. That's the second one of them I've heard about doing that! I got the first Marlin that got shipped to him. It cost 280.00 plus tax. I have 3 more on order at other gun shops for my daughter and a couple of friends. There iss one on GB auction site that is 325.00 and hasn't met the reserve yet!! The Ruger here can be bought for about 440.00 plus tax.(4.5% in VA) I've seen the ammo for 9.95 to 11.50. If you order from Mid South it's 7.69 plus shipping which will still get it up to around 10.00. I'll bet before the year is out we'll see a 20 or 22 grain bullet with a better penetration before blowing up!! As I said before out to about 150 yards it's DRT! After that it better be a head or neck shot for sure and then you can't count him dead unless you pick him up! I've had several different 22 Magnums but nothing comes close to the accuracy and killing of this thing. As far as that other website, the only one I saw with any pictures or extensive testing was varmint al's .com. He had a Bullberry barrel on an Encore and was shooting ground squirrels in Calif. The rings that come with the gun are standard Weaver rings. I had to get High Millett rings to mount the 6x18 Redfield but they still are low enough for a comfortable shooting position. Hope this helps. GHD

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After the lttle fiasco with the virus last month, I lost everything in the computer!!! I lost the address book so I'm having to guess too! Try varminthunters.com and see if you can get to varmint al that way. There are some good downloadable targets on that varmint page and also some more on al's page if you ever get to it!! I've got to go out of town tomorrow but when I get back I'll call a friend that I gave the address to and get it back. I'll then post here. I should be able to check in tomorrow because I'm taking the laptop and if there's a toll free number in Akron, Ohio (and I can't beleive there wouldn't be) I'll check on your progress. GHD

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rugster, Where are you located in VA? To get back to the 17, mine is still amazingly accurate!! I shot a couple guns yesterday for a guy(both 700's, one synthetic ADL and one 270 Mountain Rifle) neither of which could come close to this little beast!!! He was there and witnessed it himself and he couldn't beleive what it would do! If you sight in 1.5 inches high at 100, you will be 5.5 inches low at 200. I need to set up a 150 yard target to check what that is. I have killed consistently in that 100-150 yard range. They are DRT!!! (dead right there)!!!! I will do some more testing in the coming week and post what I find out. As far as right now goes I've killed 17 with the 17. I've only missed 4 with it. That's a pretty good percentage. Besides that now I'll get double the thrill when I get the ones I missed!!!! GHD

·
Registered
723 Posts
Im stuck out here in southwest VA.Your doing some mighty fine shooting.By the way congratulations on your Daughters first kill.I read it off the other forum.I here she strikes again.You must be on cloud nine.

Once Again Congratulations!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rugster, Where about in SW. VA? I cover Wythe, Bland, Pulaski, Montgomery, Floyd, Smythe and Washington counties pretty well. I have a salesman that lives in Bluefield and I ride with him in those counties several times a year. I also have a shooting buddy that lives in Pulaski. GHD

·
Registered
723 Posts
Groundhog devastate I live just south of Wytheville,Who Knows we may get together and do some hog hunting!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
7mm, Let me know when you're coming thru and If my schedule has me running that way I'll try to meet you there and I have several farmer friends within 15 minutes of that truckstop who'll let us hunt!! I don't have a set in stone schedule so let me know! GHD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts