Perfect Union banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These little HOrnady and CCI .17 have been mis-feeding in my factory 9 and in the Ruger 25 round magazines.
The problem is that the round won't tip up to be fed into the chamber. In fact, several of these would point down below the top of the magazine and hence, not feed at all.
I had to manually empty 20 rounds from the 25 round mag using a screw driver and nail. How scary is that around a rimfire.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks to all for such a GREAT board!

·
Registered
681 Posts
How's the spring tension feel? Not a common issue but mags can get gritty and cause issues with the spring. Cleaned it at all?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a brand new Ruger 25 round mag. It shouldn't be doing this.
I'll spray some Teflon in there.
Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Clarify...the .22lr magazine isn't feeding the (guessing) .17 M2 rounds? Ruger may not quite buy that as a reason for it being defective. Just sayin'

·
Registered
48 Posts
The factory 9 rd mags are for .22 magnum or .17 HMR. I've never seen a Ruger 25 rd mag for those cartridges (although Volquartsen makes one) -- is this a new Ruger product?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mis-feeds on both .22 and .17 rounds.
And John, those are the stock factory mags for the 10/22.
Ok, but what exactly? .22lr? .22WRM? .17 HM2? .17 HMR? Just saying ".22 and .17 rounds" doesn't clarify at all. Thought... anyway to t=check these magazines in a 10/22 chambered for the cartridge these magazines are designed for, the .22 caliber cartridge? That would give a bit more evidence that it's due to the cartridge and not necessarily the magazine itself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I concur with BlkHawk73 -- not enough info. The stock 10/22 .22LR mag holds 10 rds (or .17 Mach 2); the stock 9 rd mag is for .22 magnum (or .17 HMR). And I've yet to see a Ruger brand 25 rd mag for .22 magnum/.17 HMR. So what caliber is your rifle?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Apologies..... .22LR (CCI, Winchester, Remington, and Hornady) and .17HM2 (CCI and Hornady). The Ruger 25 round magazine is designated RX-25.
I've contacted Ruger and they are issuing an RMA for return and replace. BTW- Ruger confirmed that some of the early RX-25's had spring-feed problems.
Now, if only someone would invent/design/market a hi-cap magazine for the .17HM2 configuration.
Thanks to all on this board. Y'all are really incredible and very knowledgable.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Apologies..... .22LR (CCI, Winchester, Remington, and Hornady) and .17HM2 (CCI and Hornady). The Ruger 25 round magazine is designated RX-25.
I've contacted Ruger and they are issuing an RMA for return and replace. BTW- Ruger confirmed that some of the early RX-25's had spring-feed problems.
Now, if only someone would invent/design/market a hi-cap magazine for the .17HM2 configuration.
Thanks to all on this board. Y'all are really incredible and very knowledgable.
Hopefully a newer one will fix your issue. I don't see a hi-cap designed especially for the .17 as there's simply waaaay to few using it and with the cost of the ammo, fewer still doing the spray-n-pray method or any method requiring anything above the standard 10 round magazine. Just too small of a market for the investment.
I would initially think the follower would need a change but am wondering if any design that would better support the bottleneck case would then hamper smooth feeding unless it was of a traditional staggered magazine design and not the rotary design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts