Perfect Union banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Marlin 17 V in 17 HMR its a pretty rifle with a semi bull barrel, a stock that was an inch too short so I added a recoil pad (its not like I needed less recoil) and Millett medium height scope mounts. Alls I'm waitin for is the Dawn to Dusk 3by9 scope I ordered, then I can go shoot it. Does anyone out here have a similar rifle? Any tips for accuracy? Its not like I can reload or anything. I am just dyin to shoot this thing!:usa:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same gun, with a 4 power busnel scope. The scope needs to be stronger. Started sighting it in, at 100 yards, it holds a group of less than 1.5 inches. The wind seems to have some influence. Really enjoy shooting it. Hope you enjoy yours.:cool:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have shot this thing twice with great results, on a somewhat windy days I recieved 1.75 inch groups at 100 yards. All this was done with a "remove the bolt aim at a spot on the garage wall looking through the barrel and sight in the scope to that" method. they dont make 17 Cal. bore sighters. It was too windy to do any real practical sighting in so I just shot it to have fun. I like it already!:D

P.S. I love my scope.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:ar15: i have a savage model 93r17 and i have been long range shooting
for about 8 years the best way i have found to set a scope for these rifles or any
rifle is to mount it in a gun vise set your target at about a hundred yards shoot one
shot into the target while still mounted in the gun vise look through your scope to make sure that your scope is still on the bullseye and then without moving the rifle
leave it in the vise and adjust the scope to where the cross hairs of the scope is on the hole you made in your target with your first shot next reset the gun in the vise to where you see the bullseye in your scope and pull your trigger and you should hit the bullseye

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I've been looking at the CZ 452 American. I saw one in a store a month ago and it's still on my mind. Anyone know anything about one such item?

:sniper:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Got the marlin for christmas. An hour ago I bought a leupold rifleman 4-12x I have two boxes of CCI I will try it out on friday and let you know the results. I have heard the hornaday ammo is usually better so if I find some I'll try that to. (yes I am putting a $240 scope on a $180 rifle but love those leupolds)

Jeff
:usa:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All the 17HMR ammo is currently being made by CCI but I hear remington is having a go of it soon. The only difference in Ammo is the projectiles. You can get the hornady red or remington gold (actually hornady makes them as well and CCI assembles them), or CCI puts out a hollowpoint. I have used them all with devastating effects on squirells. :D Your choice in scopes is great these little guns shoot and thebetter yiou see the better the resullts. Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Shot it today. Awsome. At 50 yards I had two groups of one hole. At 100 I stayed under 1 inch If I didn't screw up a couple of groups at 5/8ths with a $180 dollar weapon and a $240 scope unbelievable.

Jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
The .17 is stunningly accurate. I know of several people who can one hole a five shot group at 100 measuring less than 3/8".
You will find good .17s made by Marlin, Savage, CZ, and a host of others. I'm a member of a .17 Forum and have been enlightened to many "fine tuning" issues. Tap into one for yourself. Which make is better? Its anyones guess. The .17 is so darn accurate the differences are small and personal!
Ammo currently flys at 2550 fps. The ballistic tip Hornady offerings are explosive on targets. I regularly shoot varmints out to 200 yards with mine. CCI offers some good ammo too. Although pricier than any rimfire on the market, it makes up for it in accuracy and impact.
I could go on for days on this hot little round. :sniper:
Try one . . . you'll be hooked!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Oh yes I did do one mod I polished the sear with my dremel and replaced the trigger spring with one from mytrusty skilcraft pen.

Jeff :usa:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read in one of your posts that “there is no bore sight” for the HMR.17 caliber cartridge. I was able to acquire a BSA Optics bore sight for rifle and pistol at a very reasonable price. Model BS30, has 15 arbors; .177 to .50 cal., and comes in a nice case. The .177 arbors is .007 larger than .170. It goes in the barrel of my Remington auto HMR .17 easily, and is very close when set. It also works in my Taurus Tracker pistol HMR .17 with pistol scope. I love HMR .17.

BSA OPTICS
Phone 954 581-2144
E-Mail [email protected],net

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello every one,

I'm a new member and was curious about this .17 hmr.. I was hell bent on buying a Henry golden boy .22 mag, but when I saw they made the .17 in the same style gun I got curious... I haven't seen any postings so far on any Henry rifles. and was wondering what you all thought... I've read that the remington model..what is it 597 or something doesn't compare... that is opinions of course, but, before I buy a nice varmit rifle for long range I want to know that it's going to be accurate and as deadly as the .22 mag.. I love my brother's bolt action .22mag Revelation.. whatever that is.. but hell its accurate out to about 150 yrds with a cheap tasco scope and sand bags.. not that I go to a range.. but ground hogs drop like flies w/ it. Can this Henry do the same thing only better?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts