Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Guys,

Is the one in ten inch twist too fast for 147-155 grain bullets? How do the Sierra Palma bullets shoot in a barrel with this rate?

Thanks a bunch.

------------------
Happy Trails,
From the Arizona Gunslinger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just blipping the thread so it will start showing up in the 20 day deal again...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know personally but a my brother-in-law is building a 308 for light bullets and was conisdering such a barrel. His gunsmith talked him out of it. The gunsmith claimed it did not preform well with bullets except the light varmit bullets. Sorry, all hearsay. Thx-Ace

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ace,

The faster the twist, the heavier bullet it should stabilize, all things being equal. Normally match barrels with that rate of twist are supposed to do well with 168 grain bullets...so my question was really, will this twist work with bullets so light.

Thanks.

------------------
Happy Trails,
From the Arizona Gunslinger

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,
I am sorry. He was considering using a special barrel twist for the small bullets but it was not 10" and I cannot now remember what it was. My previous post was in error.
Thx-Ace
PS: I realized this over the weekend but couldn't remember where I posted it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i went to champions choice website and if i rember correctly the 1in 10 twist is for the lighter projectiles say 147 thru 178 and the 1-12 is more for the 173gr and 175gr match, i think check out their site they sell barrels and describe what round thery better suited for.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
"if i rember correctly the 1in 10 twist is for the lighter projectiles say 147 thru 178 and the 1-12 is more for the 173gr and 175gr match"

Actually your memory is backwards (but it's a confusing subject for almost everybody). For the 173/175gr bullets in a 308 you'd probably want to use a 1 in 8 (faster) twist barrel, with the 1 in 10 being borderline marginal.
In your 308 the 1 in 10 should work for the 125-165gr range.
In my -06 with a 1 in 12 tube the 150gr bullets give the best results, with groups opening up when I switch to the 165's (my twist is to slow to properly stablize them).

There's 2 problems with most twist charts, 1 is that it's bullet length (not weight) that's should be used, and 2 it's the RPM that stabilizes the bullet (faster spin rate required as the bullet length increases), so your MV is also a factor (a 308Win and a 30-378Whby need different twist rates to properly stabilize the same bullet)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts