Perfect Union banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Survival Gear website listed the 10/22 carbine as one of the top five survival rifles. Survival-Gear-Guide.com is the website. <><

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A good thing with the 10/22 is that with decent ammo it stays pretty clean. In survival mode you may not have regular cleaning supplies. So that helps I suppose. <><

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
There are so many good things about the Ruger 10/22, its not even funny.

Its accurate
Reliable
Tons of after market parts - everything from 30 round mags to folding stocks.

I put my Ruger 10/22 on layaway in December of 1985. When I turned 18 in January of 1986 I paid the rifle off and got it off lay-away. For the next 25 years when I need a 22 rifle, I reach for my 10/22.

During the last 25 years I could probably count the number of misfires and jams on 1 hand.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Its accurate
Reliable

I put my Ruger 10/22 on layaway in December of 1985. When I turned 18 in January of 1986 I paid the rifle off and got it off lay-away. For the next 25 years when I need a 22 rifle, I reach for my 10/22.

During the last 25 years I could probably count the number of misfires and jams on 1 hand.
I bought my first gun in 1988 and yes it was a 10/22. Still have it and it is still one of my favorite guns...I have had similar results as you have had. My malfunctions were always aftermarket mag problems. With the factory mags I have never had a problem.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts

Its accurate
Reliable

Thats funny. I got my first one when I turned 18 in 1986. Most of my jams and misfires were from the cheap but as far as I knew the only hi-cap mag for the 10/22 back then, the ramline. My newest one came from the factory with a tapco stock. They are fantastic rifles IMHO. My birthday was in september so I had to wait just a little longer than you did.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Everyone calm down, they said in the top five, not best in the world!

I got my first 10-22 in 1968 in the forth year of production. The 10-22 is a fair rifle but has always had some problems in the accuracy and trigger quality departments. The stock comb is too high for the microscopic sights and it is prone to sheding parts when taken from the stock.

No one has yet broken a string of 100,000 2x2 blocks in the air, without cleaning it, as was done with the Remington Nylon 66.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
Where can I get me a new nylon 66? Maybe you shouldnt run around with the gun taken apart. Anyone who has cleaned one knows better. I have no issues with either accuracy or trigger. Im sure ruger didnt make the 10/22 to be a sub-moa @100yrds. rifle. Mine is more than accurate enough and reliable enough to meet my needs. If I had to pick 5 must have rifles the 10/22 would be one of them. Along with another ruger. :)

·
Erin go Braugh
157 Posts
They are awesome.

Yea, I can see the ruger 10/22 being one of the best rifles for a survival situation.

My ruger 10/22 is 25 years old, and is still one of my favorite rifles.

Its accurate
Reliable

Yeah I have a very similar tale, I would take that gun for SHTF surivival any day!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here is a cheap Walmart 10/22 with a 3x9 scope and a YHM suppressor. It's inexpensive, reliable, Cheap to shoot, accurate and VERY VERY quite. I can't think of a better choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are most of y'all using the tuffer buster, or something like that in your 10/22's??? <><

·
Registered
77 Posts
All my 10/22's are stock. I have never added anything but the suppressor and scopes. I am going to have to google what a "tuffer buster" is. LOL!

On a side note: My first 22 rifle was a Winchester 1890 pump in 22WRF. It's a great little gun that is extremely accurate. However the old Winchester sights are really fine and do not go well with aging eyes. The 10/22's are a much better option at this stage in my life and they are just as accurate as the 1890.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked it up. A Tuffer Buffer is what I meant. Don't laugh too hard at me, I laugh too hard at myself often!! :lol: <><

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's ok Kyle I was laughing at myself for being to old to know about all the new stuff out there. I had no idea you spelled it wrong. :lol:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Roger that! <><

That's ok Kyle I was laughing at myself for being to old to know about all the new stuff out there. I had no idea you spelled it wrong. :lol:

·
I like GOOD beer !
89 Posts
Personally feel if what ever rifle / pistol etc is a tool one must carry or have access too in a time of need, and not necessarily a fire power thing but one of being able to stop an adversary too putting meat on the table the Now obsolete M5 scout / M6 survival rifles are a tough one to beat IMO.
.22 RF over .410 shotgun gives you CB cap to LR capability and shot to slugs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Motorhead, Yes they would be handy to have. Along those lines, the Savage model 24 would be a good choice. They came in calibers such as 222, 223, 30-30 and 357mag over 12 and 20 gauges.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts