Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 MOA Mini-14

I want to thank all you guys for the info I've gleened from this forum, and thanks for all the newbys dumb questions which I was afraid to ask, and a special thanks to Mike at Shooters Support for the Excellent Service, and advice. So here is payback.
I bought a new Minni SS Ranch. It thru brass a measured 60 ft., every 10 shots my scope almost fell off, and sand bagged using a cheap Bushnell scope, groups at 100 yds. were; 4 1/2" with cheap Winchester 46 gr varmint, and 3 1/2" with Remington 55gr. pointed SP. The slick wood stock, was so slick I almost droped it. Me being the cheap sob that I am, wanted a 1 Moa Mini or as close as possible, and at my price, CHEEP! So here is whats been done up to now.

1. Mini - 14 SS Ranch w/ wood stock. $469 (Gun show)
2. Leupold 3 x 9 40mm VARI-X 11 scope $179 (Academy)
3. Hogue Overmold Stock $47.99 (Midway)
4. Double Muzzle Break SS $19.97 (Cheaper Than Dirt)
5. 3 1/2 lb trigger job / Gas bushing Kit Combo $50.00
(Shooter support)*Trigger was 13# now very a smooth 3 1/2#
( Thanks Mike! ) He also thru in a prototype Shok-Buff he had
left. I also gaped, Loctited, and torqued the gas block.

I went to the Range, and sat next to an AR 15 shooter. We nodded. He looked at his AR then at my "lil mini" an smiled. We shot some groups. I caught him looking at my groups 2 1/2" with the cheap Whichester, then 1 1/2" groups with the Rems, then he looked at his 3" to 5" groups, only this time he wasn't smiling, but I was. After a couple of jams with the AR he was cussing some. My mini now is very smooth with noticabley less recoil, and the brass using the large size gas bushing, pitches brass only 10 ft. I am very happy with it so far, but not quite satisfied, as I'm alot closer to my goal of 1 MOA, but no cigar yet.
My next project is to glass bed the action, fire lap the barrel, and make some custom reloads. So I've ordered Mikes lapping kit/video combo., he gives a discount for combo orders. I hope this info has helped someone. I will let you know how the other projects turn out.
Thanks again for all your help. cajungeo

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Guido05, to answer your question on firelapping;
It is a process to remove any tight spots, and to polish (lap )out any rough machine marks from the bore. Basicly you use a soft lead 22 cal bullet as a slug guage, pushing into the bore with a cleaning rod to feel the tightspots, then shooting bullets with a built in abrasive say 220 grit, working up to a 600 grit for final polish. Overall it is susposed to improve accuracy, and with less fouling. I've not, personally done it before, but have read several articles on it. The pros are improved accuracy and less fouling in a rough barrel, the only cons are; some feel it will wear out their barrel, and it dosent do any good. These people usually have the match barrels which have already been polished at the factory, or
older rifles with several thousand rounds already fired thru the barrel. So I agree, it wouldn't do these people any good to repolish the bore. My mini is a brand new ss . I will let you know how mine turnsout. Should have the kit this week sometime. cajungeo

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey CajunGeo,
What exactly did you buy to get the trigger job and gas bushings kit?
I would love to do the same with my trigger, but do not know how hard it is....
Is changing the gas bushing a difficult task, or something fairly easy?
:usa:
Thanks ahead of time for any help you can lend me.
Public_offer

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Public_offer, I mailed my trigger group, and check, Parcel Post to NW Shooter Support (Mike Knifefong). His E-mail and address is in these posts several times. I also ordered the gas bushing set, so Mike gives you a nice discount if you order the gas bushings with the trigger job, and the price includes shipping. Mike can give you all the details. The bushing kit Comes with 3 bushings, The holes are small, medium, and large. It is easy to change out. My mini was brand new so I had to end up using the large one, but it is still about 1/4 smaller than the factory one. Mike says when my mini breaks in I may drop down to the medium bush, or if I shoot some really hot loads I can drop down to the small one. I also took this oportunity to gap my gas block halves even all around with a feeler guage, and locktited the 4 screws. To change the bush just pull out the factory one and push in the new one with your fingers. Tips: Watch that operating rod spring, and don't loose those little bushings, there small.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts