Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I goy my brand new mini-14 ranch rifle and was getting 3"-5" groups at 100 yards with wolf and silver bear ammo (no sling, sitting uding a 2x4 as a muzzle rest). So then I put an accu-strut on it and get 2"-4" groups with the silver bear. After that I picked up one box Remington UMC from wal mart (55gr FMJ) and got a 3" group, 2 2" groups and this 3 shot 1" group. I know that one 3 shot group is not enough to say that this is a 1 MOA gun... But it did happen. I think with match grade ammo, a sling and real rest, and an experienced marksmen (NOT ME! lol) this might just be a 1MOA gun. No trigger job, no bedding, just accu strut. Scope was a $35 cheapie 3-9 from wal mart as well...

Attachments

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
It sounds like your mini has the potential to be a consistant 1 moa weapon.
I would get a good trigger job. That is most likely why you are having trouble getting smaller groups. A hard rough trigger makes any kind of consistancy hard to do. Shooting from a good solid rest will help also.
Sounds like you did a great job on your mini.
Bedding and getting the muzzle re cut might be the last thing to do. It just might be scary accurate after that. Stick with quality ammo if you want good groups. The Brown Bear has never given me good groups.
Contact Scott @ www.savagegunsmithing.com if you want the barrel crown, trigger and bedding done correctly, I think he's offering a special, doing all three for $210.00. That includes removing the barrel for the re crown.

Best Regards, John K

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
In my mini, bedding was the easiest and cheapest fix of all, with almost equal results for improvement. Well worth a nite at the bench to do it.

Very rarely will a rifle NOT benifit from bedding. Gundoc's site has video on doing it too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that electrical tape around the forearm?
Yes, tactical electrical tape. :)

The little ring that holds it to the barrel became detached somehow, during the off season I'll send it to ruger and get a replacement, but for now I'm just dealing with it... and it seems to work fine, not an issue for 3 months now. I was also considering getting a foreguard with a rail on it instead... I dont know.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my mini, bedding was the easiest and cheapest fix of all, with almost equal results for improvement. Well worth a nite at the bench to do it.

Very rarely will a rifle NOT benifit from bedding. Gundoc's site has video on doing it too.
Yea, I keep hearing people saying not to bother with it, but then people who actually have done it say they get results. I think bedding and a trigger on an already 1-2 inch gun would make it a beast... and to think I was saving up for an AR!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.