Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I know that my rifle has a 1 in 10 twist, I was curious to know who here has fired different weights of bullets, from 52/55 gr. on up, and at a good range. I was wondering if this will stabilize 62 or 69 grain bullets out to 300 yards, or will it become unstable and veer off in random directions? At this point in time, I haven't gone to a 300M or 600M range yet (I am still fairly new to FL), and only have shot at Spaceport (100M) and so far 62 gr.(M855) has been ok.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hi mikr, I have fired 40gr, 45 gr, 55 gr, 63 gr, and 69 gr. in my 9" mini. The faster 9" is susposed to handle the heaver 69 gr. , but my mini didn't like em. The 63 gr shoots very well, and I'm putting the final adjustments on this load. Your 10" should handle up to 62-63gr bullets ok. You just have to buy or reload a batch, and give em a try. Each gun is different.
I'm trying for 1" group average at 100 yd, (Bench Rest conditions, Hunting conditions will open groups a bit or more), so my groups at 300yds. will still be tight enough for yotes. I know that is streatching things for a mini, but I like to streatch things as far as I can to get the results I want.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Copy that.
I am having difficulty right now either from bench rest or prone getting groups inside of 1 1/2" at 100M, and that is with 52gr BTHP Match reloads, sitting on top of VV N135. If only I can get to a longer range, preferably this weekend. I was hoping to see if some people had some really negative experiences with the heavies at long range...

·
Registered
279 Posts
My mini a 1 in 10 doesn't like anything beyond 55 grains and it shoots tighter with loads approaching maximum. I have had the best experience with balistic tip ammo that has a boatail because it doesn't lose its shape during reloading, magazine loading, unloading..............ect. Given my druthers I would only use IMR 4198 powder. However I just discovered Hogdon extreme powders and will let you know how they do in real hot or real cold. The important thing is find a load that works and stick with it. I give all the stuff that doesnt work away so I wont get the urge to screw around with success.:usa:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts