Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
So, my 197 has 1/9. Why did they jump from 1/7 to 1/9? Or is that just an idea for new sales? They had 1/10 and went to 1/7 before, so the 1/7 obviously had a lot of research.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So, my 197 has 1/9. Why did they jump from 1/7 to 1/9? Or is that just an idea for new sales? They had 1/10 and went to 1/7 before, so the 1/7 obviously had a lot of research.
1/9 is more versatile, however i like 1/7 because it likes heavier bullets, wish they kept both options or at least custom barrels from factory

·
Registered
90 Posts
1/9 is more versatile, however i like 1/7 because it likes heavier bullets, wish they kept both options or at least custom barrels from factory
Oh! Thank you very much. So 1/7 doesn't like lighter rounds? Then they went all the way to 1/10 and then backed-off. What happened to 1/8 lol

·
Registered
317 Posts
As I understand it, it is mostly for bullet stabilization . Different bullet weights need different twists for max. accuracy.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
Oh! Thank you very much. So 1/7 doesn't like lighter rounds? Then they went all the way to 1/10 and then backed-off. What happened to 1/8 lol
1/7 barrels accelerate throat erosion. The problem is that the twist is too fast, and the bullets eat the rifling for the first inch or so near the throat. (At least that is what I've read on multiple tests of 5.56 barrel testing) A 1:9 twist barrel was a commercial fix to this problem. Likewise a 1:14 twist (I THINK it was 1:14 or was it 1:12) was not enough twist and bullets wouldn't stabilize properly.

If you have a 1/9 or a 1/10 twist barrel, you should be able to shoot up to 70 grain bullets without issue.

·
Registered
663 Posts
You could also try 50gr.

My 1:9 Mini stock fires 52 and 55 the same

·
Registered
57 Posts
1/7 barrels accelerate throat erosion. The problem is that the twist is too fast, and the bullets eat the rifling for the first inch or so near the throat. (At least that is what I've read on multiple tests of 5.56 barrel testing) A 1:9 twist barrel was a commercial fix to this problem. Likewise a 1:14 twist (I THINK it was 1:14 or was it 1:12) was not enough twist and bullets wouldn't stabilize properly.

If you have a 1/9 or a 1/10 twist barrel, you should be able to shoot up to 70 grain bullets without issue.
this as well,

i have better accuracy in my mini 14 with 1:9 with 55 grs or less, the max weight i use with good accuracy is a 62gr, with my 1:7 AR i use 77gr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts