Perfect Union banner

Mounts

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  COBRADOC 
#1 ·
Hi, All:
I have an older SS. mini 14 .223 Rifle with a folding stock, and have acquired a red/ green dot Tactical sight, that I would like to mount on the rifle. does anyone know of a good mounting system for mounting this sight on my 1984 vintage Mini 14 ?

#2 ·
You didn't say if it was a Ranch model or not. Even if it is, I prefer not to mount an optic right over the action. Brass can hit the optic, make it difficult to clean the action and remove the bolt, and optics mounted over the action tend to end up too high. The best thing in IMO is the Ultimak ( or Amega) railed handguard. Besides mounting the optic out of the way of the action, they also act as an additional heat sink ( along with an Accustrut), and further increase the stiffness of the barrel to aid accuracy.
On a magnified optic like a riflescope, you will need a longer eye relief model, you can't use just any old scope. The eye relief needs to be from 6 to 10 inches, while a conventional scope is usually 3 to 4 inches.
But red dot's don't have a set eye relief, you can mount them at any distance from your eye.
I would not recommend a cheap red dot, the red/green one you mentioned sounds like a Sightmark. Tru-Glo or NC Star. They will go through batteries like crazy, the batteries will probably be dead when you really need it to work, and they may or may not hold zero.
The cheapest dot sight that I would use is the Burris FastFire III, tiny, the size of your thumb, weighs less than an ounce, tested to 1000 g's, and battery life is 14 months. (You be lucky to get 14 days of battery life out of some of the cheaper red dots).
My Mini -14 has a Nikon 2.5-8x pistol scope on it, but my Mini -30 with it's shorter range 7.62x39 cartridge is great with the FF III. The FF III, Picatinny Protector mount, and Ultimak rail will set you back $430 though.
I've never used one, but the Primary Arms micro dot has a lot of good reviews and is around $100.

#3 · (Edited)
IMG]http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/tjsandog/001_zpsohnr6o8c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
sandog, just curious, what kind of stock is this in your last picture? Reason I ask is that my old Hogue is starting to look all beat up and if the IRS doesn't wipe me out I might have a couple extra shekels available come spring.

#4 ·
Cobradoc, that is a newer Ruger synthetic stock that I used to replace the short wood stock on the older 189 series M-30. I actually like it better than the Hogue on my Mini-14 as it's trimmer and lighter. I just don't like the black color, so I'll eventually blast it and Cerakote it a lighter color.

#5 ·
Thanks. And I like the black. Did you get it from Ruger? I looked on their web site but the detail in their picture isn't all that good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.