Perfect Union banner

old Contender

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  gemihur 
#1 ·
I have an older T/C, looking to buy a carbine barrel. will the G2 barrel fit?:unsure:

#4 ·
Well the barrel came a day early! I popped it on with no problems...until I closed it!
Yep it was locked up tight as can be! No way I could release it! I took out the pin and finally managed to get them apart. I had this once before with a super 14 years ago. I ended up taking it to the local gunsmith who fixed it with no problem in a matter of minutes. I think the difference is whether the lug is split or not. It is on the older barrels. I'll most likely go to the gun shop again for the remedy. Hopefully without any problems again.
I'll let y'all know what the smith says about it.

#5 ·
Well I had no idea it would be this long before I could chime in again. The gunsmith I took it too never called me so after a month I began calling him and leaving messages. After two weeks of no return calls I became concerned so went into town to get the story. Turns out he lost the paperwork (according to him) and didn't know anything about the T/C. I saw it right there on his shelf and decided I wasn't leaving without it. After proving it was mine, (I had the serial number in my wallet) he let me have it and then had the nerve to tell me to bring it back in a month or two and he'd have more time to fix it.

The following weekend I reluctantly took it to the only other gunsmith in town of whom many had told me not to. He looked at the T/C and fixed it on the spot! It took him about 10 minutes and cost me $20.
The other gunsmith had a minimum charge of $80.

Anyway long story but now I have the 30/30 contender carbine assembled with a good Burris 3x9 and alligned in with a laser cartridge. I hope to take it out next weekend weather permitting for the final zeroing in.

#6 ·
I have had the lock up issue with a barrel before as well has nothing to do with a Gen 1 or G2 frame though.

It took me a few minutes of sanding the lug to get it to snap together properly very simple fix.

I'd never give your first gunsmith a second chance sounds like a piece of work.

#10 ·
You can sand the bolt (technicially it is the bolt, as the "lug" is the block welded to the underside of the barrel where the pivot pin goes).

To keep the surface properly and straight, I would recommend using a stone file instead of sandpaper.

#12 ·
I am still looking for the picture but there were 3 different types and I wrote SW who owns TC and asked them where to sand top or bottom - my barrel would not fire.

They advised me to send the gun to them and fixed the problem for me. Several people told me the problem was as common as dirt when switching barrels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.