Thompson Center Thompson Center firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2004, 12:00   #1
Grand Poobah of all I see
Points: 15,200, Level: 79 Points: 15,200, Level: 79 Points: 15,200, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thought some folks here might like to see this. I did this 5-shot group with my T/C .22 Classic at 100 Yds using Federal Classic Hi Power 40-gr ammo. A Quarter is placed next to it for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
100 Yd acuracy-post-70-1083265206.jpg  

"If news teams are families, why does MSNBC have to be the Lohans?"
-Jon Stewart
AR15_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 05:59   #2
Points: 9,940, Level: 66 Points: 9,940, Level: 66 Points: 9,940, Level: 66
Last Achievements

That's some durn good shoot'n !
Old 05-03-2004, 09:19   #3
Points: 9,182, Level: 64 Points: 9,182, Level: 64 Points: 9,182, Level: 64
Last Achievements

Yes that is good shooting. With my 22 set up - I would have to raise the sights clear over the top of the target at 100 yards. Not sure I have enough click in the elevation. I am still trying to get groups like that at 50 yards. Time will tell.
Certified Police Range Master/Instructor
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:16   #4
Last Achievements

Thanks, guys.

My scope and rifle are unusually well paired to the ballistics of high power .22LR rounds (muzzle velocity approx 1250 ft/sec.). The scope, a Weaver 2.5-7 x 28mm Classic Rimfire, uses a duplex reticle and has been zeroed at 50 yards with the hi power ammo. With this zero established, and using the high power ammunition, I have found that the lower spot on the vertical crosshair where the the hair tapers from broad to fine is the exact zero at 100 yards with this type of ammunition (see attached picture - I stumbled upon this by sheer, dumb luck!). You just line this point up on the 10 ring of your 100 yd target, just like the front sight post on an AR-15, and squeeze the trigger. If you can hold reeeaaaaallllyyyy still and there's a dead calm on the range, you can bet your bottom dollar that bullet is gonna hit right there!

Coyote, that 10/22 of yours should be able to do the trick for you, especially scoped up like you have it.
Attached Thumbnails
100 Yd acuracy-post-70-1083608187.jpg  

-Jon Stewart
Old 05-03-2004, 13:08   #5
Last Achievements

Well shucks. I should of remembered that. Getting to forgetful. I used that same method with a 6 x 18 Redfield scope I had. 25 yards was the top heavy post - centered at 100 with the + and the bottom post was 200 yards. Worked rather well.
AR15_Fanatic - ya got to stop that. It made me remember and think. Now I have a headache - must go lay down somewhere........

I have to add this picture. It is a 10 shot group. It brought up a lot of pros and cons about the ability of a 22 rifle to obtain a group like this at 100 yards. You be the judge.

Old 05-03-2004, 13:47   #6
Last Achievements

SSSSSWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

What kind of 22 rifle did that?

-Jon Stewart
Old 05-03-2004, 14:22   #7
Last Achievements

Here is what he said he had in the weapon:
10/22 action blueprinted & squared
A&B SS Fluted barrel blueprinted - barrel set back and trued to bolt, chamber recut, crown recut, barrel shank bushed too .0005 press fit.
bolt trued, radised and polished
Power Custom hammer, sear, trigger fitted and tuned to 2lb
Wolff springs
Power Custom buffer
stock is Fajen silhouette with full action bedding and as well as trigger guard
trigger guard is fitted with bushing to reciver.
extended mag release
Power Custom scope base - Burris Sig. high rings
New made in jap. Redfield Ultimate Illuminator 6-20x50 scope with MXDot
Old 05-03-2004, 21:16   #8
Last Achievements

Wow! That's a hell of a .22 target rig. Do you know if the gun was viced during the shoot? I don't see any reason that a 1 holer @ 100yds with a .22 is out of the question. But your shooting environment would have to be meticulously controlled to achieve this. First off, you can't have ANY wind to get this right (those little 30 grain bullets get tossed around like paper toys even in a gentle breeze, so the best place I can think of to try this is indoors. A large concert hall, warehouse or sports stadium (i.e. indoor football gridiron) would be ideal for this. And converting this into a .22 target range would only require minimal effort - all you need is a sheet of particle board for target support and a couple of crates full of old, large metropolitan telephone directories to catch the bullets (provided you can convince the owner of the building, not to mention your local police department, to let you try this!). The rifle should probably be viced or fired from a prone postion with bipod and sandbag stock support to reduce human error as much as possible. A high power scope (15-20 power) and match grade ammunition are a must. And you'll need an expert marksman at the trigger - preferrably an ex LE or military sniper. So I could believe that target's legitimate. But then again, the shooter said he did it using CCI rounds...........

are you smelling a rat, too? J/K!

-Jon Stewart
Old 05-03-2004, 21:33   #9
Last Achievements

LOL not sure - about the rat - you like to believe in people's posts - but that group really looks good. This was not in a vise - but I think he stated he did shoot off a bench rest. I know he really got upset when people began questioning him about it. The post is over at Rimfirecentral. Chief Dave - even offered him $100 x (whatever he wanted) = a rifle that would should that group again. Me I will work a long time to get a group like you had - or his at 50 yards.
Old 05-17-2004, 13:11   #10
Last Achievements

I have yet to achieve a 1-holer at 100 yards, but I did manage to get this one and two others just like it at a distance of 50 yards yesterday at the range. This 5-shot group measures 1/4".
Attached Thumbnails
100 Yd acuracy-post-70-1084824674.jpg  

-Jon Stewart
Old 05-17-2004, 13:45   #11
Last Achievements

Dang it - I do not think I will ever know what kind of a group my 10/22 will achieve. EVERY WEEKEND - wind blows - now were not talking a little wind - but mother natures flapping her wings. I went out this week end and asked my wife why she moved my boat around. Appears that she did not - its sitting on a concrete pad and the wind just pushed it around.......

The old wind flag does no good when it move from right to left and north to south. OILLY well - someday. I want to shoot those flies.

Any how "GOOD SHOOTING"
AR15- good shooting.............
Old 05-18-2004, 00:45   #12
Last Achievements

EVERY WEEKEND - wind blows - now were not talking a little wind - but mother natures flapping her wings. I went out this week end and asked my wife why she moved my boat around. Appears that she did not - its sitting on a concrete pad and the wind just pushed it around.......
Yeah, I hear you. The wind finally died down around here last weekend so I was able to shoot. Last monday we had a windstorm with gusts up to 70 mph. Knocked out the power at work and fried one of our servers with a power surge. Sent everyone home because of it (and I didn't get paid for that time either! ).

Do you have your own private range on your property to shoot at? If so, you could possibly build a small 100 yd tunnel using PVC sprinkler pipe for a frame and plastic tarps used for painting. You could make it in segments so it could be disassembled when not needed. See the attached sketches. Of course this requires TIME to construct, something that few of us have.

This was not in a vise - but I think he stated he did shoot off a bench rest. I know he really got upset when people began questioning him about it. The post is over at Rimfirecentral. Chief Dave - even offered him $100 x (whatever he wanted) = a rifle that would should that group again.
I gotta say that this Jesse James fellow probably shot that target he posted on Rimfirecentral.com, though I'm sure his garbage cans are probably full of his disappointments as well (mine are!). If he said that he had done that target from an unsupported fighting position, I would have yelled "BULLS**T!" and laughed in his face! Given all the dough he probably blew to build that 10/22 of his, all I can say is that it had darn well BETTER shoot 1-holers at 100 yds!
Attached Thumbnails
100 Yd acuracy-post-70-1084866427.jpg  

-Jon Stewart
Old 04-16-2005, 11:48   #13
Points: 8,399, Level: 61 Points: 8,399, Level: 61 Points: 8,399, Level: 61
Last Achievements

OK AR Fanatic, you really got me crying the blues. Ive been looking at that gun hard for awhile now. I passed up a good deal on one and am now regreatting it. On a good day that would be my fifty yard group. How available are extra magazines for that thing? Anything over 10 rnds?
Man Im going to loose sleep over this thing. The one I looked at had a great piece of walnut, good balance. OUCH-Im kicking myself in the sitter right now.
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:13   #14
Last Achievements

Originally posted by tinman@Apr 16 2005, 10:48 AM
OK AR Fanatic, you really got me crying the blues. Ive been looking at that gun hard for awhile now. I passed up a good deal on one and am now regreatting it. On a good day that would be my fifty yard group. How available are extra magazines for that thing? Anything over 10 rnds?
Man Im going to loose sleep over this thing. The one I looked at had a great piece of walnut, good balance. OUCH-Im kicking myself in the sitter right now.
If you checked out a T/C .22 Classic at a T/C dealer, they should have spare mags available for sale. The largest that Thompson makes are 10-rounders ($20 ea.). I have written Thompson requesting that they offer at least a 20-rounder, which I think is an ideal size for target practice. No reply back yet.

You can expect about 1 MOA groups for a T/C .22 Classic. If you really want an super accurate autoloading .22, I suggest you go with the .22 Classic Benchmark. They can probably deliver 1/2 MOA groups.

Out of all the ammunition I tried with mine, I have found Federal Classic and Federal Lightning to shoot the best through my .22 Classic.

More info on the T/C .22 Classic:

http://www.tcarms.com/semimenu.php

-Jon Stewart
Old 04-16-2005, 12:31   #15
Points: 8,399, Level: 61 Points: 8,399, Level: 61 Points: 8,399, Level: 61
Last Achievements

Hey thanx for the link fanatic. Didnt know the Benchmark existed until now. Its at the top of the list now. Was also considering the cz 452, but now you got me sold on the thompson. Man am I glad you posted this, the only reason I didnt buy earlier was because a test target wasnt provided in the box.
Thanks a bunch, your a big help.
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote