LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 18:05   #1
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Chance to buy Chinese SKS

Hey everyone I have a chance to buy a Chinese sks off a friend I used to work with. He is an older gentlemen that took good care of it. He was helping me lately with a power-point and I have been hounding him about his sks the whole time and he finally said he would take $250 for it today. It is in very good shape. On the right hand side of the receiver it says made in china and has CJASFLDML. It was missing the bayonet so I picked one up at the gun shop for $15 immediately after leaving his place. Kinda silly I know but I figured if I don't buy it I'd give it to him as a gift beings he has been a good friend for 7 years. The cleaner kit is still in the back of the stock. I also ran over to walmart and got 100 rounds of tul ammo for $26. All I have is brass case for my mini and heard sks have the potential to slam fire with soft primers. I don't know a lot about sks's I only had one many years ago when I was in high school and I sold it like a dummy. Anyone know what that code means ? I know its not a serial number. I see alot of Chinese going for 400 in way worse shape in guns shops around here, he also stated that and I openly agreed and asked why he did not want more and he said he hasn't used it in 10 years so why not. So I offered to horse trade him a winchester 1300 stainless marine and he said he would or take $250. Like I said he is a good friend and Ive always preferred older friends and I trust him. Think if I get it I might add that ghost ring tech sight. Sorry if this was long I'm just kinda excited and wanted to hear some opinions? Might be trading Wednesday or next week.

~I used to be a master troll like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee....

~Don't meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste nice with Ketchup!
Drache Teufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:13   #2
Points: 5,656, Level: 48 Points: 5,656, Level: 48 Points: 5,656, Level: 48
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%
Last Achievements

Hi DT,

I have a couple SKS's, both Norincos. Here is what I could find regarding your "new" CJASFLDML marked SKS...check to ensure tha last letter is not an "I".

Ed

China Jin An is a USA importer:
CJA
China Jin Ahn
Southfield, MI

They were a US importer of firerams from China and not a Chinese exporter as Polytech or Norinco.
STATE PUBLIC SECURITY SURPLUS RIFLES

Introduction: This category includes Type 56 Carbines produced at three specific state-owned/controlled arsenals expressly for issue to soldiers of the National Public Security Forces and marked as such, 1970s to the present. Standard PLA-issue military surplus carbines were also used in huge numbers by this strictly party-controlled “private” army. This latter subset is composed of rifles bearing the “CJA” import stamp and do not command a premium upon resale.
Here are a couple good sites for SKS info... John Yooper And...sksboards
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 13:16   #3
Administrator
Points: 25,303, Level: 95 Points: 25,303, Level: 95 Points: 25,303, Level: 95
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

The Chinese SKS are about the best quality you are going to get.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 15:35   #4
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

The last letter is an L what is the difference anyway ? Like I said I only had one in high school when they where going for $100 out the door new, but was stupid and sold it. I don't know what it all means, but wish I never sold my original one. What is the differance between an L or I ?

~Don't meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste nice with Ketchup!
Old 07-10-2012, 18:25   #5
Last Achievements

Simply due to the Michigan state abbreviation being "MI" not "ML". The importer markings seem to always be substandard compared to the manufacturer's roll markings. So, I assume the "I" could be a poor stamp or possibly, as is often the case, a translation error.

Ed

Here are my two examples...
Old 07-11-2012, 01:49   #6
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

I'll check it again when I get it, but I thought it was an L. Nice looking sks's you have. I like the original form best. Only thing I might change if I get it is add a tech sight and a bullet band/cuff on buttstock. That will probably be it.

Old 07-13-2012, 22:22   #7
Points: 7,463, Level: 57 Points: 7,463, Level: 57 Points: 7,463, Level: 57
Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4%
Last Achievements

Smile

Drache Teufel:
If you acquire the SKS and add the fully-adjustable version of the Tech Sight, you will hit many more small targets than with the original sights.

My Norinco is now a different, better rifle, thanks to this Tech Sight.
You will have a much better chance of sending your dragon to the devil.

Despite having a Garand, six Enfields, two FR8s etc, I shoot many more rounds through the SKS, mostly due to the cheap Russian 7.62x39 'Patronen', but the much-improved sight distance allows me to sometimes knock a small drink bottle into the air a few times in a row, from 30 yards.
Ignition Override is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:14   #8
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

I do think I will be getting the Tec-Sight for it. I still got to get the rifle which I think will be next week. I sent the guy an email asking him to check the safty for that neg//pos sear deal mentioned on that yooper website I also sent him the link so he could see what I was talking about. I don't want to send the dragon to the devil my name only means something to a select few. I might want to send the butterfly to the worm though. lol Thanks for the thought though.

Old 07-14-2012, 23:13   #9
Points: 2,306, Level: 29 Points: 2,306, Level: 29 Points: 2,306, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
The Chinese SKS are about the best quality you are going to get.
I'm with Kevin on this.
Mosinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 15:56   #10
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Ok guys and gals I got the sks today. We horse traded. Right hand side of the reciever says: SKS7.62MADEINCHINA
CJASFLDML
Ok now on the left side of the reciever, magazine bottom, back of dust cover there is a B2945.

What do I got ? No funny ideas reporting it stolen the guy I got it from bought it from his local dealer which can confirm it. Not accusing just wanna be clear I don't like putting serial numbers up (which I think that is) but I know jack s*** about these and need help ? What do I got ? What is it worth etc. ? Its in excellent shape and there is actually some cosmoline in cracks and crevices someone never fully cleaned off.

....Oh and the stock has 19365 on the left side of the butt-stock

Thanks

Old 07-16-2012, 16:24   #11
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Ok just noticed while taking it apart it has B2945 under the trigger guard also.

Edit: on top of bolt also

Last edited by Drache Teufel; 07-16-2012 at 19:14. Reason: Noticed something else
Old 07-16-2012, 17:19   #12
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Despite it having a bit of grease here and there. There is some light pitting on the reciver just under were the wood contacted the sides. Is that bad ? I'm sure he didn't know because he never had it apart, only cleaned bore and chamber. Gave me 1 full box of ammo and two half full. Brass cased which I'll use in the mini. Got tula for the rice eater.

Old 07-16-2012, 19:01   #13
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Ok I just completely gutted this thing except taking apart the trigger housing// mechanism (which I don't think I will) The gas system has a lot of grease in it. Now I am thinking about cleaning off all the old grease//grime with brake cleaner. My question it does the gas system need grease back in it ? And if not is it ok to lightly grease anyway to protect against corrosion in-case I want it for SHTF (sorry to bring that up)

On a side note I know I said I probably wouldn't mode anything but add tec- sight, but I really like the looks of the synthetic monte-carlo stock. what suck is it looks like it don't support the bayonet, cleaner in butt stock, cleaning rod. Is there a stock similiar that would ? or at least support bayonet and I could just carry (hate to say it) M16 cleaning kit with 30 cal brush. Also thinking of painting all the steel olive drab.

Please tell me if those are no-no's and will lower its value or anything.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:30   #14
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Ok this sks is FTCing almost every round. Jesus its worst than an AR. Was I not suppose to take the grease out of the gas system ?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:41   #15
Last Achievements

Hi DT,

I would suspect old/underpowered ammo or magazine spring/follower first. Is it picking up the next round or skipping over it? If it is skipping over it it may be a gas problem...Under the rear sight is the actual spring loaded "striker" that contacts the bolt...it must operate/plunge easily. Sometimes it gets a heavy dose of cosmoline during preservation. It can be cleaned with non-clorinated Brake Cleaner by flooding the area under the rear sight bridge (the BC will run under the flat spring plate) with BC while operating the piston till the juice runs clear. Another point of interest are the actual gas ports...there are two, one in the barrel in the 90 deg boss attached to the barrel (the barrel port is drilled at an angle that makes it easily cleaned) and another in the removed handguard/pipe (to relieve pressure). Make sure they are clear/full diameter. Usually, the first shot will clear these ports but there may be a hard carbon buildup that must be scraped. If the rifle had the original cleaning kit, there is a rod with the port cleaning pin included. Light grease is fine on moving parts...just don't overdo it. Also, make sure the long piston rod port is clean...I "think" I used a .22 cleaning brush.

Ed
Old 07-17-2012, 15:06   #16
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by edorfox View Post
Hi DT,

I would suspect old/underpowered ammo or magazine spring/follower first. Is it picking up the next round or skipping over it? If it is skipping over it it may be a gas problem...Under the rear sight is the actual spring loaded "striker" that contacts the bolt...it must operate/plunge easily. Sometimes it gets a heavy dose of cosmoline during preservation. It can be cleaned with non-clorinated Brake Cleaner by flooding the area under the rear sight bridge (the BC will run under the flat spring plate) with BC while operating the piston till the juice runs clear. Another point of interest are the actual gas ports...there are two, one in the barrel in the 90 deg boss attached to the barrel (the barrel port is drilled at an angle that makes it easily cleaned) and another in the removed handguard/pipe (to relieve pressure). Make sure they are clear/full diameter. Usually, the first shot will clear these ports but there may be a hard carbon buildup that must be scraped. If the rifle had the original cleaning kit, there is a rod with the port cleaning pin included. Light grease is fine on moving parts...just don't overdo it. Also, make sure the long piston rod port is clean...I "think" I used a .22 cleaning brush.

Ed
Old ammo ? Bought two weeks ago at walmart.... Is walmart selling old ammo ? I wouldnt put it past them. Somtimes its skipping the next round but usually its feeding the next with the old casing being stuck side ways half way out between bolt and top of chamber. The 30/35 degree angle down into the bore has a little bit of carbon but still has a bigger opening than a mini. I know that means nothing. I did clean both gas chambers with non- chlorinated brake clean. Never re lubed anything though. The ammo he gave me is 12 years old/brass cased and no blemishes. AND I DID NOT USE THAT. I used tula I bought 2 weeks prior to trading.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:11   #17
Points: 9,693, Level: 66 Points: 9,693, Level: 66 Points: 9,693, Level: 66
Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5%
Last Achievements

D.T.,

If you're looking for a great place for SKS info, try this place:
Yooper John's Gun Information

(Click on the SKS link on the left-hand side to begin your research. There are a lot of links for specific SKS topics. Very interesting!)

When I first got introduced to the SKS, I used this site to learn about this great rifle.

Happy shooting!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:14   #18
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Sorry guys the sks is gone traded it on a marlin sbl a few days ago. Thanks though.