LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 19:56   #1
Points: 1,860, Level: 25 Points: 1,860, Level: 25 Points: 1,860, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

SKS questions

Found a deal on a Norinco SKS and ammo. 200$ for 1K Wolf 154 gn sp ammo and a Norinco SKS (don't know year yet). My dad got it from an acquaintence who can no longer possess firearms (PTSD or something deemed mentally unfit). I haven't gone over it too fine but what I do know, it has a cheap 4x scope mounted on one of the setups that replaces the rear cover (it wiggles pretty good too). The original internal mag assembly was removed and he doesn't have it anymore. It comes with 2 metal duckbill mags, one's a 30 and the other I guess might be 25 it's only an inch shorter than the 30 but longer than any 20 I've seen. Both look like regular AK mags with the duckbill attached to it so I don't know who manufactured it but I'm assuming American made.

Question that I think I know the answer too but not sure, in this condition is it out of 922 compliance if everything else is factory Norinco?

Secondly it does not have the bayonet on it. I told my dad I'd like to get one and he said something about being illegal on Norincos. Never heard anything like that before so I was checking to make sure.

Gotta pick it up from my dad as the guy had to get it out of his house by the 5th and I'll break it down further to inspect it. Still debating on which way to go restore to stock or get the SGW bullpup (the only one I've seen that looks good) since he doesn't have any of the parts removed from it. we'll see. First I gotta make sure it's compliant
Slims00ls1z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 21:09   #2
Points: 5,539, Level: 47 Points: 5,539, Level: 47 Points: 5,539, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Pretty sure that would need to be made compliant. Once it is compliant however, you should be able to put a bayonet on it worry free.

Great deal though, the ammo alone would be worth $200.
GDKPIKPWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:32   #3
Points: 5,392, Level: 47 Points: 5,392, Level: 47 Points: 5,392, Level: 47
Activity: 11.6% Activity: 11.6% Activity: 11.6%
Last Achievements

The Norinco SKS as imported in it original configuration has 14 imported parts as named by the BATF removal of any one of these compliant parts put your rifle out of compliance. These are the imported parts that apply to the 10 rd. fixed magazine SKS rifle,you will notice there are 15 parts on the list Part #3 is the Muzzle attachment on the Yugoslavian M59/66 A1 rifles it's the only 10 rd . fix mag SKS that has 15 compliant parts.

To make the Chinese SKS compliant once one of the original imported parts is remove you them have to remove enough additional imported parts so the rifle only has 10 or less of the original imported parts on the list still remaining on the rifle. Since the 10 rd. fixed mag has been replaced with a detachable mag which counts a 2 parts #14 and #15 you will need to remove two additional imported parts and replace them with 2 US MADE parts. Since you already have the mag covered parts #6,8,9,10,12 & 13 will be the parts your most interested in replacing. Or you can find and replace the original 10 rd. fixed mag. which will put the rifle back to it's original imported configuration.

The thing to remember is the parts count only applies to parts remove and replace off the list removing or adding a part that is not on the list has no bearing on compliance ie such as your dust cover scope mount,it's not a compliant part.

1. Receiver.
2. Barrel.
3. Muzzle attachment.
4. Bolt.
5. Bolt carrier.
6. Gas piston.
7. Trigger housing.
8. Trigger.
9. Hammer.
10. Sear.
11. Disconnector.
12. Buttstock.
13. Forearm/handguard.
14. Magazine body.
15. Follower.

If the Chinese SKS was imported before the 89 'nonsporting rifle' ban (after which the bayo was removed) and you have the original sales receipt showing the date of purchase before the ban then you can legally put a bayo back on the rifle or if the original owner has the bayo and took it off you can put it back on other wise you can't legally put a bayo back on the rifle without knowing it's history.
SKS48 is offline   Reply With Quote