LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 18:49   #1
Points: 2,201, Level: 28 Points: 2,201, Level: 28 Points: 2,201, Level: 28
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements

SKS Front Sight Base/Mount

I have two good to very good condition Yugo SKSs that I chopped the barrels on and added Phantom Flashhiders. I got rid of all the heavy stuff at the end including the bayonets and the project turned out to look really nice. I was going to mount red dot sights but when I did I didn't like the looks. Now I'm looking to put front sights back on the guns. The problem is I can't find any SKS front sight bases/mounts anywhere. I could use my old ones but I hate to destoy something someone else may have a use for. Besides even if I grind off the lugs and take off the "ladders" it's still a clunky piece of hardware. Anybody know where I can get a couple of sight bases or anybody got any ideas on how to "create" a makeshift front sight attached to the barrel, gas tube, anything? It don't have to look SKSish, it just has to work and look good. Thanks for any advise.
gwpmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:14   #2
Points: 2,201, Level: 28 Points: 2,201, Level: 28 Points: 2,201, Level: 28
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements

Thank you!
gwpmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:45   #3
Registered Member
Points: 704, Level: 14 Points: 704, Level: 14 Points: 704, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I found this Link... Might Help you.. for your SKS

Originally Posted by gwpmag View Post
I have two good to very good condition Yugo SKSs that I chopped the barrels on and added Phantom Flashhiders. I got rid of all the heavy stuff at the end including the bayonets and the project turned out to look really nice. I was going to mount red dot sights but when I did I didn't like the looks. Now I'm looking to put front sights back on the guns. The problem is I can't find any SKS front sight bases/mounts anywhere. I could use my old ones but I hate to destoy something someone else may have a use for. Besides even if I grind off the lugs and take off the "ladders" it's still a clunky piece of hardware. Anybody know where I can get a couple of sight bases or anybody got any ideas on how to "create" a makeshift front sight attached to the barrel, gas tube, anything? It don't have to look SKSish, it just has to work and look good. Thanks for any advise.
Gun Parts : Rifle - SKS scope mount and front sight - Auction: 9718818 (Ended 07/17/2010, 17:40:41 PST)
Jboven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:47   #4
Registered Member
Points: 704, Level: 14 Points: 704, Level: 14 Points: 704, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I would check with auctionarms.com they have the link I provided above. Unfornatuly I did not notice how old the add was. But this could give you an idea of what is there. Nice clean simple, lightweight sight, with out the ladder. Hope this helps.

Jeremy
Jboven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:35   #5
Points: 1,985, Level: 26 Points: 1,985, Level: 26 Points: 1,985, Level: 26
Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5%
Last Achievements

Try Numrich Gun Parts they usually have original front sights. There was an independent company that was making a front sight simular to the Russian unit in looks that clamped to the barrel. You should be able to find info on them by googling "SKS front sight". If you're willing to use a full scope with a long eye relief check the sight base/rail system made by ScoutScopes.com. Remove the rear sight elevation leaf and their base slips in it's place without having to drill or tap anything.
PartCajun is offline   Reply With Quote