LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 00:44   #51
Points: 7,463, Level: 57 Points: 7,463, Level: 57 Points: 7,463, Level: 57
Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4%
Last Achievements

DiN BLiX:

Our president's choice as the new ATF Director reportedly will try to create regulations to block imported military rifles.

The White House already blocked huge numbers of M-1 Garands and Carbines from being imported out of South Korea months ago.
Some CMP staff who visited the storage facility were not too impressed with the corrosion in many of them, but that is not the point.

The White House kept shifting the blame to other govt. agencies, one of whom claimed that criminal elements could have had access to powerful guns with large 'clips'.
It seems possible that US commercial importers could have some access to them, but not the CMP.
I could easily be mistaken about what I read months ago.
Ignition Override is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 22:27   #52
Points: 1,111, Level: 18 Points: 1,111, Level: 18 Points: 1,111, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

My Smithsonian condition blond T-Series (1983) unissued/as new from crate of consequtive serial # M59/66A1s had it's GL cut off (Rifle was neutered)for shipment to California ,but I found a Rockloc M6 SKS Muzzle Brake (M14 style with allen Set screw mounting ) that allows for the Bayo to function & lock into place properly .
Gator Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 13:42   #53
Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by grimjaw View Post
Why do people leave gr. launchers on Yugos?

Are you kidding? It's a grenade launcher. Why wouldn't I want it on there?

jm
Never know when one will need to launch golf or tennis balls to the next county.
range rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 13:45   #54
Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21
Last Achievements

Actually, I may take GL, ladder sights and bayo lug off my Yugo when I convert it to a bull pup. I bought a second one to keep in original configuration
range rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:11   #55
Points: 4,617, Level: 43 Points: 4,617, Level: 43 Points: 4,617, Level: 43
Activity: 83.6% Activity: 83.6% Activity: 83.6%
Last Achievements

The Yugo is pretty hideous. It is as long and about as heavy as an M1. Still, I'd leave it alone.

My son has one. It eats my Russian SKS for lunch off the bench. 2-inch 5-shot groups versus 4 1/2-inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. The Yugo's trigger is quite decent. The Russian's trigger takes two men and a boy to pull.
bmcgilvray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:55   #56
Registered Member
Points: 272, Level: 5 Points: 272, Level: 5 Points: 272, Level: 5
Last Achievements

Wait, Golf Balls?? how?? please tell.
rigger514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 18:49   #57
Last Achievements

bmcgilvray:

My first ("temporary") gun modification to my Norinco is mostly complete. Having brought up the grenade launch topic, it's hypocritical that I would never consider a permanent mod., to any other gun.

Anyway, this Tech Sight might need some tuning in, but even though the only targets were Coke bottles in the river bed from about 80-100', it is so much better than the original leaf sight.

An added benefit is that the aperture seems to be adjusted low enough to prevent the many high shots that resulted with the old sight.
You have the circular front sight hood to quickly center inside this fairly large aperture, allowing you to then fine tune where the post's tip should be.

The 1" 'slip on' butt pad not only improves the length of pull, but keeps your eye further from the aperture. A small can of "Sight Black" would prevent reflection from late afternoon sun in these sights. Birchwood Casey sells it.
Old 01-14-2012, 20:34   #58
Points: 2,799, Level: 32 Points: 2,799, Level: 32 Points: 2,799, Level: 32
Last Achievements

[QUOTE=DiN_BLiX;637391 Are the days of sub $200 dollar semi auto milsurps over? Yes I think they are, and for that I'm sad.[/QUOTE]

Yup, ancient history now and that's one of the big reasons I leave my milsurps in their original condition. I have an old '03 Springfield I bought years ago for $125 out the door. Check out what the prices are for an '03 Springfield is these days. Bet even a rust bucket beater is going to be $125 and if you have an unmolested version like I have, the price is CONSIDERBLY higher! Mosin-Nagants and SKS rifles may not be real big collectors items these days but neither were Springfields, Mausers and Krags years ago when they were a dime a dozen. I would venture to say that if I sold 2 or 3 of my more collectable milsurps, I could easily buy a new SCAR, high end AR-15 or most any other decent fighting rifle a bubba job Yugo SKS is trying to be.
Of course all that being said, I am fully in favor of "sporterizing" as many milsurps and SKS's as possible. The more originals that are destroyed (I won't go higher in price than $20 for a hacked up milsurp/SKS) the higher the value is on my unmolested originals.
USMCGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:19   #59
Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85
Last Achievements

You got that rignt. I bought a pristine Model 96 Swedish Mauser back in the early '80s for a hundred dollar bill, from the gun shop. I wish I could find that same deal today!
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 21:46   #60
Erin go Braugh
Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29
Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7%
Last Achievements

You gotta have a golf ball launcher!

Originally Posted by Indyarms View Post
I find this question amusing... I LEFT the grenade launcher on my Yugo SKS because... imagine this, now... I ACTUALLY LAUNCH ( dud) GRENADES off of it!!! I know!!! Crazy talk, right?!?!? I mean who would have imagined SUCH a use?!?!?

I get close to a hundred yards without a grenade attacked to the launcher, and about 50-65 with.

I still have hundreds of blanks to send them off...

AND...

I know THIS will defy belief...

I attach a GOLF BALL LAUNCHER to it... and launch golf balls into the next county!!

Talk about a hoot!!!

You go taking your grenade launcher off, and you have just NEUTERED one of the most FUN parts of a Yugo SKS you could possibly have!!

You have NO IDEA the fun you are missing out on!!!

If you want a great squirrel(etc) round or to have a less than lethal round for an attacker or dogs. The golf ball launcher will do the trick! Cheap and easy and the sights for grenades are great for the golf balls too. Also looks bad a$$ while your being bad a$$!
theboonedockssaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 14:55   #61
Points: 1,792, Level: 24 Points: 1,792, Level: 24 Points: 1,792, Level: 24
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by John Wagner View Post
I think a more pertinent question might be "Why do people take the grenade launchers off Yugos?" If you don't like grenade launchers, don't buy historical rifles that have grenade launchers.

+1

Do you have a rifle with a grenade launcher?? I do.

William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:49   #62
AK-47 Junkie
Points: 588, Level: 11 Points: 588, Level: 11 Points: 588, Level: 11
Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0%
Last Achievements

remove the grenade launcher and it's not c&r anymore and you need to play the 922r game. tapco makes an sks kit for that.
the robfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:50   #63
AK-47 Junkie
Points: 588, Level: 11 Points: 588, Level: 11 Points: 588, Level: 11
Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0%
Last Achievements

you can also shoot tennis balls with the grenade launcher.
the robfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:10   #64
Erin go Braugh
Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29
Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7%
Last Achievements

Thumbs up Nutnfancy says its the other(2nd) kindah cool!

Originally Posted by theboonedockssaint View Post
If you want a great squirrel(etc) round or to have a less than lethal round for an attacker or dogs. The golf ball launcher will do the trick! Cheap and easy and the sights for grenades are great for the golf balls too. Also looks bad a$$ while your being bad a$$!
Originally Posted by the robfather View Post
you can also shoot tennis balls with the grenade launcher.
Those are fun too!
Old 05-04-2012, 03:16   #65
Points: 1,652, Level: 23 Points: 1,652, Level: 23 Points: 1,652, Level: 23
Last Achievements

If it ain't broke don't fix it....golf ball away!!!!
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 18:39   #66
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 14.1% Activity: 14.1% Activity: 14.1%

launcher

After watching a few YouTube videos on how to remove the the Launcher sight I was ready to tackle it myself and had a far easier go of it then some youtuber's. I was able to remove mine without any damage or marks and it can be put back if I so choose. I took mine off because I wanted to lighten it since I carry it for hunting. Since it has been removed I love the look of it so much more now it only got a predator mount and redfield scope and tac-pro cheek riser (it not only looks like a classic eastern block sniper rifle but it shoots amazing groups with all sorts of ammo). Oh, yeah I took the bayo off aswell.
nmbsksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 15:55   #67
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

I thought they leave them on to launch those home made deals made outa golf balls ?

~I used to be a master troll like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee....

~Don't meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste nice with Ketchup!
Drache Teufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:13   #68
Points: 1,985, Level: 26 Points: 1,985, Level: 26 Points: 1,985, Level: 26
Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5%
Last Achievements

To each his own, I actually pulled my hair out trying to find the right components to return my 59/66 to original. You have the right and as long as you are comfortable with doing what you have to to be compliant with the Fed. Nazis and their Sec.99, 22, or 8 or whatever it is, then have at it.
What I learned in restoring mine is that the launcher as mentioned above can be either the NATO or the ComBloc version. Seems to be a lot of confusion on how to tell which is which other than knowing the tube OD and then knowing which one is supposed to be what size. On thread I came across said the NATO is threaded right handed and the ComBloc is left handed.
If you just want to get the tube off, usually even after driving the cross pin out, you will need to heat the tube with a tourch then use a steel bar through the port holes to unscrew it. I found that if you wrap a wet rag around the barrel just behind the tube it will keep the barrel from also swelling and the tube will unscrew fairly easly. If you don't want to shorten the barrel much you can cut off the threaded section (only about 1 inch long) and have the barrel recrowned. If you want to also get rid of that big ring between the tube and the front sight, you can drive out the two cross pins for the sight base and using an automotive bearing puller and the heating trick above pull the whole sight / bayonette assembly off and replace it with a standard front sight from a mode 59 or supposedly the model 49 Russian. Do this before you cut the threaded section of barrel off and then recrown. That way you still have an SKS with a reasonable length barrel.
If you want a scope or red dot / halo sight look at the sight base/rail made by ScoutScope.com. It is the best system I have seen and does not require any drilling and taping of the gun.
A good trigger job is a great improvement to the gun. Just make sure the person doing it knows their business. Very easy to file the sear at the wrong angle and the gun goes BOOM if dropped or banged around. Remember that the safety on these only blocks the trigger from being pulled, it does not block the sear or the sear link.
PartCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 21:25   #69
Last Achievements

Lightbulb

To clarify, my only SKS is still the Norinco (with a Tech Sight).
Despite starting this topic, I quickly realized that it would be a loss of historical.mil. character to perm. alter not only milsurps in general, but also the classic Yugo.

A guy at the Gwinnett (Atlanta) GA show early this summer had the Yugo type which was mfg. with No launcher (like Samco's rifles), but I have no idea what the bore's condition was etc. The outside was a good bit worn.
Old 09-02-2012, 19:28   #70
Points: 15,996, Level: 81 Points: 15,996, Level: 81 Points: 15,996, Level: 81
Activity: 18.3% Activity: 18.3% Activity: 18.3%
Last Achievements

The first thing I did was take off the sight and the bayonet. I left the extended muzzle device on becuase it sends some of the noise down range. Mine does not have the holes in the muzzle device so I guess it's not a flash hider. Anyway, the G/L sight and bayonet came off, post haste. kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote