Perfect Union banner

Russian vs Chinese SKS.

105K views 52 replies 36 participants last post by  eugene 
#1 ·
I've got an opportunity to purchase either a Russian SKS or a Chinese SKS. Numbers match on both. Russian is $400 Chinese is $350.

For an extra $50, is there something about the Russian that makes it more worthwhile? Stronger? Better barrel?

#36 ·
I would get the russian first. They all have screw on barrels, forged, machined parts and the metal finish and stocks are better. Not all Chinese guns have the screw in barrel, and alot of them have the stamped parts and tack welded trigger group. If in doubt go russian, but if you find an early military issue chinese with all the desireable parts, pick it up. One last thing, the romanian sks's have the same build quality as the russians, just seems that most of them are a little beat-up.

#38 ·
russian is infinitely better. especially if it's an early russian with the spring loaded firing pin. i wholeheartedly recommend murray's firing pins for everyone else to prevent slamfires. secondly avoid chinese "paratroopers". these are fugazzis where the chinese just cut the barrel down.

#43 ·
WOW, I remember when SKS's were less than $100 for a Russian. I would definitly go for the Russian SKS especially if its has the original Bayonet which was a double edge blade. The Chineese SKS were not made as well and had a pick type Bayonet which usually was not with the rifle. Check the Russian SKS, the year of manufacture should be stamped on the reciver cover on top with a star.

#47 ·
bought an early Chinese made in Russki factory from an out-of-work painter, little fired. w/out trying it out I let a nephew have it as he didn't have a mag-fed semiauto.
I did some trigger work and fit an ak mag conversion and sight enhancement, damn that things a shooter and good ammo really shines it. I've tryed to buy it back and he won't go for it.
the fella I bought it from had a Norinco, around 1/2 looks and quality of the Chinese Russ factory wish I had bought both and let nephew have the Norince he was sort of 'learning' then anyway now he's got his folder AK w/a rail for lihgt blade bayo and enhanced sights. it's a fair shooter

#48 ·
I have a Norinco and I recall the major noticeable diff when the Russian guns were showing up was that the chinese had a spike bayonet and the russians had a blade. I never was was curious about the mechanical variables ( threaded barrels or milled receivers) They were just cheap to buy and cheap to shoot! When I was younger and my eyes were better I could shoot 1" 5 shot groups off a rest at 112 yards with my chinese SKS.

#51 ·
Hello all RON L here

I have had a Number of Chinese Norenco and other Sks and as well as 1951, other Russian Sks the Russian units heaver as well asmost times smoother, we set up a 100, 200, 300 yard set of targers know who did better??? NO REAL DIFFERENCE, BUT WHAT YA CAN FIND AND WHAT YOU CAN AFFOARD IT'S A BATTLEFIELD TYPE WEAPON AND WON'T BE ANYTHING BUT, CHINESE RUSSIAN WHO CARES PICK WHAT YA CAN FIND?

RON L

#52 ·
I have always liked the Norinco SKS rifles best because the receiver length lets you use the 20 shot red star fixed mags. When buying an SKS a little research will go along way as the mill marks for the maker is key as some plants made great rifles and others didn't. Both Russian and Chinese rifles were made in lots of places. I have owned two Chinese rifles that were such great steel that you couldn't cut it. I used to cut SKS's off to 16 inches and move the sight back carbine style. A little research showed that those particular rifles were made in one plant that was backed onto an atomic power plant and the steel smiths had total control of unlimited heat to treat their steel. If I had had a choice of both I would buy the rifle that was most original and looks the least fired as we stupid Americans will shoot them without high temp grease in the gas system and cause wear and gas leaks. If you want an accurate hunter buy a Yugo and remove the grenade launcher. I can put holes in a two inch square all day at 100 yards with mine.

#53 ·
I have a SKS (Chinese) built in 1956. All milled parts, great shooter, never jams etc. I hate to say it but the machining is as good or better than the two Garands and the MIA Springfield that I own not to mention the new Remington 700 I just bought. Best $400 I ever spent. O.K. the wood's not so hot but the CMP Garand's stock is not exactly a work of art either. I kept the bayonet on it to preserve it's originality. Besides I may want to charge a woodchuck with it. Keep the faith.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.