Perfect Union banner

ProMag Scope Mount - Any Reviews?

13K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  sgte5 
#1 ·
Promag has a Heavy Duty Scope Mount. Just looking at it on the net, it looks very similar to Fulton Armory Mount. Anyone been able to review it or see it reviewed?

Promag -

PM081A M1A / M-14 Heavy Duty Scope Mount
This scope mount allows rifle scopes, holographic sights & red dot sights to be mounted solidly over the rifle receiver. The mount is medium to high profile. The mount makes contact with the receiver at five points of contact for rock solid accuracy. The mount accepts Weaver type rings on the Picatinny rail. No permanent modification required. Constructed of black oxide high carbon steel. All hardware included.

I've been searching the net, and found that you can buy this mount for around 65ish if you look.

#2 ·
Well going out on a limb, I decided to buy the new ProMag heavy duty scope mount.

Today I received it and its just like the ARMS #18 Scope Mount. Actually it looks just like it. If you put it side by side, you can't tell the two apart.

For 61 bucks, I think I found a winner for the M14 scope mount system.

#12 ·
Any new reviews or input in the last 6 months? I am really tempted to try this mount, but I want to make sure that I am not wasting my money.

The solid steel construction and the compact, low mount style appeal to me. And the price seems great.

But you know what they say "if it seems to good to be true............it usually is"

For those of you who have used it, did you mount to a Springfield M1A, or some other M14 receiver? Any alignment issues? Any problems with loosening up or losing zero?

#13 ·
Mounted to a Springfield M1A receiver and holds zero really well.

The only thing I've had gone wrong in the past 6 months is that the Bushnell Scope I had on it finally died (The gas was leaking out and it was getting cloudy). I ended up putting a Nikon scope on it and it still holds under 1" group at 100 yards.

#15 ·
I have medium rings on my gun, and it works well. Again I still haven't had any ejection issues and I've been shooting it a lot.

I like the mount, make sure you get the STEEL version. Theres two, one steel (one I bought) and the aluminum version (No clue on how well that works).

The Promag STEEL HD mount is a winner for me. I love the thing.

#16 · (Edited)
It looks like a good deal to me. I always wanted to get an ARMS 18, I just coudn't see why it cost as much as a Marlin lever action.

How does it align with the bore on your S.A.? I have a S.A. gen 3, and it is to far to the right of the bore on both my Poly, and my S.A.

I,m gonna give it a try I think. Thanks for the heads up.

#17 ·
It looks like a good deal to me. I always wanted to get an ARMS 18, I just coudn't see why it cost as much as a Marlin lever action.

How does it align with the bore on your S.A.? I have a S.A. gen 3, and it is to far to the right of the bore on both my Poly, and my S.A.

I,m gonna give it a try I think. Thanks for the heads up.
I mounted mine and its aligned pretty good. When I put on my Nikon scope, It was shooting 2 inches to the left and 1 inch high at 100 yards. Couple clicks and I had it zeroed within 5 shots. I've shot approximately 300 or so rounds out of it since I have zeroed it and haven't had to touch it.

#20 ·
Just recieved mine today.

Looks good, sits nice and low, and bore alignment is good.:)

Unlike the S.A. gen 3 mount, it does away with the threaded charging block. that makes her sit alot lower. I like it!

PS. It is an exact copy of the ARMS-18.
Yup, I think its an exact copy, except for all the ARMS#18 marks. Mine has held zero now for nearly a year and I love it. (ESPECIALLY for the price).

#19 ·
I just received my promag mount this weekend. It fits my Springfield real nice. I still need to get a set of rings and a scope. I'm hoping to run accross a good used scope on one of the shooting forums I visit every day. The weather here isn't pushing me to hard toward the range, so I have some time to shop. I'm thinking of going with quick release rings. Are they all basically the same?

#21 ·
I don't use quick release rings. I haven't ever found a set that would hold the exact zero I'm looking for.

I'd also use a quality scope. I've broken 3 cheapies on my M1A over the time I've owned it. I finally decided to pony up and buy a Nikon Scope and haven't had any issues.

#22 ·
promag mount

I just put a new Scheels Paragon 3-12x 50 scope on my M1a today. It looks to be a great scope and the Promag mount, with the Leupold rings, seem to be good set up. The weather here in Wisconsin is supposed to be getting pretty nice this week, so I will be hitting the range soon. I hope to be able to give a range report by next week end. It's been over 40 years since I've fired one of these rifles. I'm confident that it will all come back to me. Think BRASS right? Every time I pick this thing up, I can smell and taste things of years gone by. I shoot thousands of rounds a year, but since I got this rifle I have been like a kid at Christmas. I hated to put a scope on it, but the old eyes aren't what they used to be. I've loaded up several hundred rounds this winter, so let the good times roll!!!!

#23 ·
Hi Fellas,

I am glad to see some new activity on this thread. I have the promag mount, but have not yet put it on my M1A.

I will be hitting the range this weekend, and I think I will put the mount on (but no scope) just to make sure that I dont have any ejection issues before I torque everything down and add the scope.

I have blue loctite that I plan on using, but I dont have a torque wrench to measure inch lbs or foot lbs. How tight does the main bolt into the receiver need to be tightened?
As tight as possible using a screw driver handle?
Finger tight only when using a small wrench?

#26 ·
I didn't use loctite at all on my mount.

I mounted mount onto the receiver. I tighted the side bolt finger tight then I took a wrench and tighted it snug.

I then took a allen wrench and tightened the front set screw until it touched the front of the receiver. I then tighted the rear set screw until it touched the rear portion of the receiver. I then tightened the front and rear set screw a 1/4 turn until I felt that the set screws were tight enough.

With the forward and rear setscrews tight, it will put enough pressure on the bolt of the side of the mount that it will NOT come out.

Once you have the three points set, look on the side of the mount and lock the counter set screws down on the front and rear locking. This will prevent the forward and rear set screws from backing out.

I then mounted my scope.

#24 ·
Sorry to post again in such a short amount of time.

I was just fitting the promag to the receiver and I realized that the stock is just barely hitting the bottom of the mount, thus pushing it up so that the horizontal rail is not quite lining up with the channel in the left side of the receiver.

Looks like I have a significant amount of dremel time in front of me, because I am sure not going to mess with the walnut stock. Did anyone else have this problem?

#28 ·
Welp, I got the Promag mount installed.

I had to do some grinding (and then spray and bake a finish) but it now seems to fit perfect. I used loctite on every screw/bolt. It looks good on the gun and it sure seems sturdy.

I am headed to the range tomorrow to make sure that the mount doesn't affect ejection. Every now and then someone mentions how this mount or the ARMS 18 can interfere with the outbound cases.

A question for anyone who is paying attention to this thread. What rings did you use?
I was planning on using medium Burris Signature Zee rings, but it looks like the power ring of my new scope (Team Primos 3-9x40) will JUST BARELY interfere with the rear sight.

I dont want to jump up to the high rings, because of how that will affect the cheek weld. I guess I am looking for a manufacturer who's medium rings are higher than most or who's high rings are shorter than most.

#29 ·
Welp, I got the Promag mount installed.

I had to do some grinding (and then spray and bake a finish) but it now seems to fit perfect. I used loctite on every screw/bolt. It looks good on the gun and it sure seems sturdy.

I am headed to the range tomorrow to make sure that the mount doesn't affect ejection. Every now and then someone mentions how this mount or the ARMS 18 can interfere with the outbound cases.

A question for anyone who is paying attention to this thread. What rings did you use?
I was planning on using medium Burris Signature Zee rings, but it looks like the power ring of my new scope (Team Primos 3-9x40) will JUST BARELY interfere with the rear sight.

I dont want to jump up to the high rings, because of how that will affect the cheek weld. I guess I am looking for a manufacturer who's medium rings are higher than most or who's high rings are shorter than most.
I don't use iron sights on my rifle anymore. I had to click the iron down to clear the scope. (But I have my scope really close to the mount. I wanted it as close to the receiver as possible.)

However I primary use my Springfield M1A for deer hunting or pig hunting. (Yes I like a semi-auto for hunting).

#30 ·
promag mount

I've been using my promag mount with great success since spring arrived. It has stayed put and has not given me a lick of trouble. I think it is a winner. Much better than I thought it would be, for the money. I mounted a Scheels 4-12x50 Paragon scope with Leupold quick release rings, just in case I want to shoot with the iron sights again. Not likely though, the way this thing shoots now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.