Perfect Union banner

Trigger Work

Accurizing 
1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  philos1 
#1 ·
Really new to Mini-14 and I'm seeing posts about trigger work helping with accuracy.
My trigger feels like it's swimming in wet concrete.

What should trigger work cost and how light should the pull be?

I've ordered Accu-Strut 2 clamps and expect that to help.

Wanted this gun for years and have found it to be much fun to shoot and now I want it to be as accurate as a Mini-14 can be made to be.

#5 ·
I'm proud to say I have a "vintage" GunDoc trigger. IIRC it was $80. Best gun $ I ever spent. It is very light, crisp, like breaking a tiny glass rod. Don't have a trigger scale but I would estimate it to be about 3#. If I had it to do over again, I would probably ask for it to be just a tad heavier, maybe 4# or even 5#. I consider my mini to be a "utility" farm gun, not a super-precision bench rest target shooter.

- Jay

#6 ·
My trigger feels like it's swimming in wet concrete.
I like the comparison. Ive felt worse triggers, i.e. Chinese SKS, and factory Savage 10 series triggers, but when you get the Mini trigger done, ah, to feel the "squeeze"! I did my own, and it was just really a surface polish. Im at 3-3.5lbs. Its almost like glass! I never fully appreciated a good trigger until I had my S&W 686 done, and then I did my 1911.

#7 ·
Thanks, y'all. Found a gunsmith here in Phoenix via Tombstone Tactical.
Told him I wanted it @ 4# pull and he indicated NO PROBLEM.
$75.00

Accu-strut ordered and like JRobyn said, it's a truck gun! We do lots of off-roading here and I want it to be within reason at 100yards.

#8 ·
I would not call it a "trigger job" but I put lapping compound on the trigger sear surfaces and rubbed them back & forth & side to side for a while to polish the surfaces. No files or stones. I just wanted the surfaces to mate with each other and smooth out. After thoroughly cleaning them off I put grease on the contact surfaces and now they feel quite smooth and lighter in pull. No disassembly done. Just took the trigger group out and worked from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.