Shotgun Misc All makes and models of shotguns discussed here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 22:35   #1
#1 true dumb M-F'ing SOB
Points: 8,814, Level: 63 Points: 8,814, Level: 63 Points: 8,814, Level: 63
Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5%
Last Achievements

Stevens/Savage 350 Security

I was in a LGS the other day talking to the owner (and shopping, as always...), when he asked me how much I'd expect to pay for a pump-action 12 gauge HD shotgun. I told him what I'd seen on 870s and 500s (can't remember now what price range I threw out there).

He advised me he's recently started carrying the Stevens 350 Security, and he's selling them right around $200 NIB.

He pulled one out and showed me, and I think I like it. The action seemed pretty smooth and the bottom-eject is a unique feature. Plus, with my recent lack of funds, it's well within my price range.

I've read as many online reviews as I can find (basically the same review on different websites...), but I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with this particular weapon.

I'd really prefer to stay away from the 870 vs. 500 vs. "everything else" debate. I'm still considering both the Rem and the Mossy, but the price of the Stevens just seems too good to pass up.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:29   #2
Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

Check where it's made. Some of the less expensive pump guns are made in China. I don't know if you care about that, but just throwing that out there.

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 19:45   #3
#1 true dumb M-F'ing SOB
Points: 8,814, Level: 63 Points: 8,814, Level: 63 Points: 8,814, Level: 63
Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5%
Last Achievements

After doing a little more looking today, it turns out that the Stevens is made in China. However, it does carry Savage's warranty and is backed by their Customer Service (which I've heard is excellent). As long as it's a quality piece, I really don't care where it's made.

If given a choice between two (essentially) identical pieces of the same quality and at the same price, I'd pick the one that was made in the U.S. I just haven't seen anything close to that price -- but maybe I'm not looking in the right places...
Old 08-09-2010, 13:48   #4
Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

NEF has a Pardner Pump in a riot gun configuration for $200 at one of the chain stores near me. It's basically a clone of the 870, with two action bars and a good solid bolt. I don't need another pump shotgun, but if I were looking, I'd snag that. The same place sells the sporting version for less than $200.

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote