Shotgun Misc All makes and models of shotguns discussed here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2004, 13:44   #1
Points: 6,662, Level: 53 Points: 6,662, Level: 53 Points: 6,662, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I highly doubt this is possible...and I have done a couple google searches on it and came up with nadda, but I thought I would ask. I have a mossurg 500a short smooth barrel w/ a 7 round mag tube (used to be a law enforcement gun). I want to use it on our feathery friends this year b/c each season there are literaly hundreds that take up temporary residance in my pond. BUT as I am sure you know it doesnt keep a tight pattern. The other day I tested it at 10, 30, and 60 yards. At 10 it had a 2 foot pattern, 30 = 7 foot, and 60= BIG. So, is it possible to put a choke on a barrel such as mine? It has no threads or anything. But I am not wanting to spend the 100 bucks on a new longer barrel that will easily accept chokes.

This isnt a real big deal b/c if I walk SLOW I can get within 10 feet of them before they fly off, but I also dont want to take down the entire flock either (that would be only slightly illegal here )

Oh and before someone says something, I have already made a mag plug out of a dowel rod so it only holds 3 rounds in the tube now
Old 11-03-2004, 15:01   #2
Points: 6,400, Level: 52 Points: 6,400, Level: 52 Points: 6,400, Level: 52
Last Achievements

Nerd,
I bet that if you try your patterning with #2 steel shot, you'll find it groups tighter. I am an avid waterfowler and used an IC choke (very open) for alot of years and never felt I had less range than my tight-choke hunting partners. I also never shot a flock at a time. Two at once is pretty rare even when you try. Steel patterns alot tighter than lead and is a requirement in every state now (or some other non-toxic shot). Also, consider 30 yds your max range as shots much further are unreliable and irresponsible, IMO. Good luck and try to spare the hens!
Shoot! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 15:53   #3
Points: 6,662, Level: 53 Points: 6,662, Level: 53 Points: 6,662, Level: 53
Last Achievements

Originally posted by Shoot!@Nov 3 2004, 06:01 PM
Nerd,
I bet that if you try your patterning with #2 steel shot, you'll find it groups tighter. I am an avid waterfowler and used an IC choke (very open) for alot of years and never felt I had less range than my tight-choke hunting partners. I also never shot a flock at a time. Two at once is pretty rare even when you try. Steel patterns alot tighter than lead and is a requirement in every state now (or some other non-toxic shot). Also, consider 30 yds your max range as shots much further are unreliable and irresponsible, IMO. Good luck and try to spare the hens!
Thanks Shoot, I will definitly try #2. I was using #7 1/2 b/c that was the cheapest wally world had for a 3" chamber.

On to another stupid question...

Safe guarding hens was something I hadnt even thought of... I have spent several hours out there feeding them bread and the like (last season) and I'll be darned but they all look the same . And these are Canadian Geese I am refering too.

I cant wait I know their good eatin, but as of yet I havent actually hunted them. My unle was big into it though, and all I can say is...YUMMY