Perfect Union banner

Saiga 12

5K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  JeffreyWarren 
#1 ·
What? No posts here? Oh well......might as well be first....(hee, hee).

So, does anyone have a Saiga shotgun (410 or 12)? What do you think of it? Do you know of any inexpensive sources for the mags?

(A new forum, might as well take my 'handle'.

:rapid:

#2 ·
I have seen them around, and I really like them. There about as solid as a tank. and they are supposed to feed well. I have heard of a 20ga but have not seen it. I will buy the .410 as soon as I come across it. And I believe I would like to have the 12ga.

Good Luck.

#5 ·
I have one in 12ga and 223 ordered I cant wait until they arrive should be one day this week.A close friend has the 410 and it was a blast to shoot.The guns were built on the AK-47 design and function very well. I would like the 410 but the ammo is expensive even if you reload your own shells. It should be interesting to see if they can remain popular.

#9 ·
I bought a saiga 12 ga. autoloader last year , coust about $300 , one hell of a buy for an autoloading shotgun!!, I love it. Had to buy the long barelled virsion though, they were sold out of the 18" one, came with 5 round mags., I bought three of them, their plastic. I would love however to find a sorce of high cap. drum mags. Still looking for those however, If your thinking of buying a Saiga you cant beat the price. Never had a jam once, very nice gun.

#10 ·
I have a 12ga - 19" defense model. It has a threaded barrel so that chokes can be used on it. A "Modified" and a "Full" choke are available for it. The barrel is an "Improved cylinder". A thread protector is also available. As with all Kalashnikov's, it uses the combustion gases to cycle the action. The recoil is reduced significantly as compared to say an 870. It takes 2 3/4" or 3", standard or magnum loads. There is a setting on the gas tube to select the proper relief for the load being used. It has a side mounted rail for optics and had an adjustable rail sights. Civilians can use the 5 rnd magazine and LEO's can use the 8 rnd mags. Due to the current laws, this shotgun cannot be configured with a pistol grip. It is however, pretty mean looking as is. I certainly wouldn't want to be looking down one. Some owners can't install a full mag without the bolt pulled back, but with practice it is not a problem.

:sniper:

#11 ·
I just got back from the range with my new Saiga 410. I couldn't get it to cycle 2>5 inch shells. It seemed to be a problem in the action. I spoke to another 410 owner earlier who said that he had heard none of them cycle the 2.5 inch shells without some work on the action. The gun cycles 3 inch shells flawlessly. I'm happy with the gun overall. I would rather find 3 inch slugs and buckshot than have the gun worked on to take 2.5 inch shells. But most likely I'll only ever shoot 3 inch birdshot out of this gun.

#13 ·
I looked up their web site and you can get 3 5 round mags for $75...

I don't think that is a bad idea, infact that is probably the way to go for a defensive shotgun.

Maybe get a pouch on the stock to hold an extra mag. 20 rounds of 12 gauge should be enough to settle any confrontation!!!

I am looking at that .308 though... 8 round mags... I almost wish I would have bought that instead of my mini 14...

Someday, I will have the .308 with 16 inch barrel and the 12 gauge, and $300 worth of Saiga Magazines!

#15 ·
Very roughly machined parts and an adjustable gas regulator so you have a guaranteed headache when shooting different loads. Definitely not my choice. Nothing worse than a picky shotgun.

Think about a quality semiauto. It will last for years, not months. Cheap guns are fun until youre at the gunsmith with an empty wallet

#17 ·
Remember this gun was designed and built to be minimally maintained. The Russians built things to function, not be pleasing to the eye or require a lot of upkeep. These Saiga's function well enough, but don't expect flawless manufacturing-- they are definently rough!
I got mine as a "project gun." I plan to make a few modifications to assist in better performance. Their cyclical rate is fantastic!

#18 ·
I have the 19 inch Defender Saiga and have been useing up old shells some of which go back to the 80,s. I leave the gas selecter on one and have yet to have a failer of any type and I have mixed the type of ammo. My advice is to get one before they go up in price. Their rifles are worth the price to. Around here you can get 2 for the price of 1 Mini 14.

#19 ·
I have a Saiga 12 that I plan on selling. I have a bunch of extras to go with it. Such as:
-BSA Optical Red Dot
-AR pistol grip to be mounted on forearm
-Tactical Surefire Flashlight
-A Laser Sighting System
-1 5rd magazine
-Bayonet Lug for use with US Military Bayonet
-Wooden Thumb-hole Stock with Rubber Butt and
Cheek Rest
-A long with original polymer stock
-Tactical Sling
-Plastic Gun Case
-Back up Iron Sights
-Dial-A-Choke
-Barrel Length of 18.5" Plus the length of the add on
Dial-A-Choke (approx 20")
These add on parts/features have yet to be installed. But are all together along with the plans-blue prints for fabrication of the mounting methods-parts-etc...
I have a fractured neck, and back and cannot shoot higher recoiling firearms.. at least for a year ? So I want to sell the Saiga in order to buy-trade for a carbine of some sort ( AR-15, Marlin Lever Action 44mag,or 45LC, a Thompson Carbine, M1 Carbine (converted by LeMAG to 45win mag, or __?___).
Any ideas regarding regarding this set up, pricing, input into other options to add on and/or remove from set up. Would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time -JWY

#21 · (Edited)
I bought my Saiga 12 (12 gauge) back when they were first being imported into the country. It has a few quirks. The biggest being getting a full magazine loaded. I also don't care for the simple round-dot front post (part of the "points" in order to get imported as a sporting shotgun I believe). I am planning to sell my Saiga either as is or with all the tactical bells & whistles included such as: Iron sights ( maybe fold down back-ups), A Optical Red Dot Primary-sight, vertical front grip ( an AR-15 pistol grip), Which will where the controls for both a laser aiming red-dot sight , and a Sure-Fire tactical flashlight, possibly Picatinny Rails: Full Length along the Top and Forearm Length for the Sides and Bottom. A combination flash suppressor-muzzle break-recoil reduction system, bayonet lug, Laminated wood Thumbhole Stock, Duracoat flat grey finish, extra 5 round magazines (I have seen 8 round magazines for sale but heard that these AR L.E. only items?) and misc others...and/or anything ATF says is okay for a civilian import that is. Otherwise all depends upon the buyers wants,needs, and wishes.
Those interested can email me at:
jeffreywarren82464@yahoo.com
NOTE see my other posts under Saiga 12

#23 ·
I contacted ATF and there is a law which states semi auto shotguns with detachable magazines are now limited to 5 round capacity with exception of Military and Lew Enforcement. I don't know when this law went into effect? I wish/hope I was given incorrect data. I myself would like to see a "Beta Mag" 12 gauge with a capacity of 25 rds+ as well as 10 round box magazines.

#24 ·
Also one last thing we need to get rid of that wording "sporting purpose"...It was put in '68 GCA by US manufacturers in order to keep out the cheap military surplus rifles, shoyguns and handguns. But it came around to bite them as well. People got into guns buying the "inexpensive" military surplus. Then spent more to buy better quality US made firearms. Now there isn't a surplus market like there used to be for new shooters to get into our sport. Since "sporting purpose" doesnt mean to use recreational . But only what the law makers want it to mean. Lets work to get rid of the entire concept of "sportiong purpose" it has nothing to do with the 2nd Ammndment personal defense etc..well it does but then again not to the fools who twist anything written in order to ban this and that. Moswt of '68 and '34? could go away and not concern me at all. the 1985 new civilian machine gun manufacturing ban signed by Reagon....Plus 1990 "Assault Rifle Import Ban by Bush senior, Clinton's classification of street sweepers and ____ as Destructive Devices..along with that 14 pound 50BMG pistol also became a Destructive Device with a sweep of a pen....AP pisol ammo ban ..and so on etc etc...get rid of all the silly laws.....that drops 22,000 federal + down to what 20 or so.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.