LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 17:38   #1
Points: 4,363, Level: 42 Points: 4,363, Level: 42 Points: 4,363, Level: 42
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Fobus Holsters: How tight?

I bought a Fobus belt holster for my wife's Walther P-22. Man, it takes an Act of God to get the weapon out of that thing! Is it a break in issue? A technique issue? Or do I have a defective holster? I've never had anything but leather or nylon before, so I don't know what to expect from the thing. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Black3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 18:21   #2
Points: 10,151, Level: 67 Points: 10,151, Level: 67 Points: 10,151, Level: 67
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Not familiar with the model, but doesn't it have a retention screw? If so, just adjust it to your preference.
Joe Garibaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 18:51   #3
Last Achievements

No retention screw that I can see.

I can't see any screws at all on it, just rivets. It's like the trigger guard hangs on the indentation that holds it in; thing just about can't be gotten out.
Old 05-01-2009, 21:01   #4
Points: 10,151, Level: 67 Points: 10,151, Level: 67 Points: 10,151, Level: 67
Last Achievements

OK, you got me curious. Looks like you're description is just right, your situation common, and easily dealt with -- from Fobus' FAQ:

http://www.fobusholster.com/page/faq.html

The holster won't release my gun, its way too tight.

If your holster is too tight:

1) The holster must be mounted on your belt, NOT held in your hands. With the weapon unloaded, you must draw the weapon straight out of the holster along the line of the cant. This is a design feature to prevent others from taking your weapon. Your draw must be a quick pull without hesitation or stopping during the draw to overcome the passive retention system of Fobus holsters. You should practice this draw 25-50 times a day until you are confident and comfortable with it.

2) If the draw is still to difficult, you can lubricate the inside of the holster, especially the trigger guard area (where there is the most retention) with light gun oil, silicone spray, or Armor All.

3) Spread the trigger guard area apart with your thumbs to loosen the resistance.

4) If the holster is still too tight, please contact us for a RMA# and we will exchange your holster for a new one.

Remember, we offer a no question asked return policy
Joe Garibaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 22:21   #5
Last Achievements

Thanks, Joe!

I'll keep working with it. If I'm thoughtful, it works fine for me and with practice, I think I could get comfortable with it. Don't know if it is going to work for the wife, and it's her weapon. It was a big step for her to entertain having a handgun at all, so any hassles are a real problem.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:24   #6
Points: 3,577, Level: 37 Points: 3,577, Level: 37 Points: 3,577, Level: 37
Last Achievements

I have a Fobus holster for my Beretta, and one for my Bersa as well. I have been carrying the Beretta a lot lately, and so I have frequently relied on the Fobus holster for it... I was rather frustrated with it myself at first! It did seem to take a bit of break in, but I can draw it with ease now. All I could advise is to give it a little time...

-Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
storm_crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:32   #7
anti-capitalist
Points: 73,714, Level: 100 Points: 73,714, Level: 100 Points: 73,714, Level: 100
Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6%
Last Achievements

Because of the tight fit, Fobus holsters can be hard on a pistol's finish, if that matters. The FAQ Joe Garibaldi cites mentions using light gun oil, silicone spray, or Armor All, and I've read a number of posts indicating good results with Armor All. I've never bothered with it, though. As Glocks are practically impervious to finish wear in any functional sense, I just kept working it out repeatedly until it became easy (easier). It didn't take me long to realize that, for a setup requiring fast and reliable access, the basic model Fobus holster I got was not going to cut it. I'm not really sure what it's good for. There are YouTube videos purporting to reveal retention flaws with the Fobus. Yet, the very tightness that appears to be a retention plus is also a weakness from a fast draw aspect. Supposedly, with enough practice one can draw it fast using the right technique, but I find that the pistol does not come out of the holster before the belt is drawn up. In other words, in reality it does take two hands to release the pistol, or else it takes what amounts to a self-inflicted side wedgie. If someone knows any other way I'm all ears, er, eyes, but so far I don't see how enough force can be applied to release the pistol without placing an equal upward force on the belt first. And even for, say, hiking, the Fobus would be fine except the barrel is exposed to dirt. Maybe I ought to try the Armor All after all, but instead I'm reading threads like this one to eventually decide on a replacement. Getting the right holster is not often very easy, it turns out.

Last edited by freesw; 05-10-2009 at 09:38.
freesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 19:11   #8
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Last Achievements

I have used the Fobus with my G 23 since 2001 (was always a revolver man but with 911 decided to try auto) and I wear it every day and do earthmoving construction, yes at times I'm in a hole with a hand shovel. Great holster. It is getting worn so just bought a new Fobus when I bought my new G 27. The new one does have a retention screw which I thought I would have to adjust but with just a little use it has become just right for the 23 which is what I have it for. The 27 fits a bit tight but don't plan to use it in the holster. In short, give it a good try before giving up on it. I love it.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:09   #9
Points: 1,318, Level: 20 Points: 1,318, Level: 20 Points: 1,318, Level: 20
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Black3 View Post
I bought a Fobus belt holster for my wife's Walther P-22. Man, it takes an Act of God to get the weapon out of that thing! Is it a break in issue? A technique issue? Or do I have a defective holster? I've never had anything but leather or nylon before, so I don't know what to expect from the thing. Thoughts? Suggestions?
I have one for my P97 and had the same prob. What I did was warmed up the area around the trigger guard with a hair dryer spread it apart and let it cool, check fit and amount of retention, repeat if need be, don't open up to much or the gun will not be retained.
G36 Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 20:33   #10
Registered Member
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

I just got the fobus ru97 and was having same issue. I tried same technique as my old duty holster: push down some the twist slightly away from your body as you pull up. It it a very quick motion and solved my issue
mkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:21   #11
Registered Member
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

Storm_Crow

Originally Posted by storm_crow View Post
I have a Fobus holster for my Beretta, and one for my Bersa as well. I have been carrying the Beretta a lot lately, and so I have frequently relied on the Fobus holster for it... I was rather frustrated with it myself at first! It did seem to take a bit of break in, but I can draw it with ease now. All I could advise is to give it a little time...
Hate to rain on your parade, but Mr. Jefferson didn't say it. If you were MI, you ought to know to check your sources. Google your quotation and it will take you to the Monticello.org website, with an explanation. I have seen versions of this quotation attributed to a lot of famous folks, usually Jefferson or Franklin, and is just ain't so. This one likely started with John Stuart Mill in 1867, long after Mr. Jefferson's death. Have a really good day.
ltcjwb is offline   Reply With Quote