LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 18:06   #26
Points: 8,009, Level: 60 Points: 8,009, Level: 60 Points: 8,009, Level: 60
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I have Glock 22 and 27 and my next handgun will probably be a Glock 19 because they are just great reliable guns.
Old 05-10-2010, 13:29   #27
Points: 5,750, Level: 48 Points: 5,750, Level: 48 Points: 5,750, Level: 48
Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8%
Last Achievements

Don't forget about the SR9c from Ruger. Not a bad pistol for $400. Good CCW if it fits your taste.
WENDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 15:14   #28
Points: 10,151, Level: 67 Points: 10,151, Level: 67 Points: 10,151, Level: 67
Last Achievements

My personal favorite is the XD series, probably because of the shared grip angle with the 1911.

I've also heard good things about the Walther PPS, which is the only striker-fired pistol I'm aware of with a single-stack magazine (PPS stands for "Police Pistol Slim"). I think the striker makers are missing a concealability market by not having more single stacks.
Joe Garibaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 18:48   #29
Points: 9,693, Level: 66 Points: 9,693, Level: 66 Points: 9,693, Level: 66
Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5%
Last Achievements

I initially went into my LGS looking to purchase a Glock, but my first striker pistol wound-up being a Springfield Armory XDM 9MM. Let me explain...

You see, the guy behind the counter kept going on and on about the SA XDM and all the "goodies" that came with the pistol. (I have to say Springfield Armory does a VERY nice job of outfitting an XDM pistol owner)

Plus, Springfield Armory was also running a promotion at the time where you could get two free extra magazines, and a magazine carrying pouch.

Being that this was my first striker fire pistol, and I was new to the whole concept of a polymer-framed modern-day pistol, I took the guy's advice. Against my gut instinct and the time-tested results that I knew surrounded the Glock line of pistols, I went with the SA XDM 9MM.

However, after my first range trip I was taken aback at my lack of accuracy with the SA XDM pistol. But, I decidedly told myself that I simply needed "more range time".

That said, after shooting the SA XDM several more times, I never seemed to get better groups with the pistol. I even changed the back-strap to see if it was the grip angle that was causing my accuracy issues. No help there.

Anyway, one day I ran into a guy that I mentioned this to, and he made me an offer for the pistol that seemed reasonable. So, I sold it to him.

Of course, I still had a hankerin' for a polymer-framed striker fire pistol, so a few weeks later, I went back to my LGS, listened to my original gut instincts, and I bought myself a Glock-17.

During my first range session, it was literally like night and day between the two pistols. I was shooting my new Glock-17 extremely accurately.

Now, do I think the the SA XDM is a "bad" pistol. Not at all. Let me reiterate...I think the SA XDM is a very good pistol. In fact, I know that the SA XDM in some shooters' hands can be scary-accurate.

However, I learned a VERY valuable lesson here about handguns in general...

Sometimes, you find a great pistol. And, other times, a great pistol finds you.

Interestingly, this depends solely on the individual who shoots the pistol. In short, what works for one shooter may not always work for them all.

For me, the Glock-17 has turned out being everything I had hoped the SA XDM to be. In fact, I have become a HUGE fan of the Glock line of pistols.

I really do think that they are some of the best pistols made. So, for me, it's a GLOCK!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:52   #30
Points: 1,841, Level: 25 Points: 1,841, Level: 25 Points: 1,841, Level: 25
Last Achievements

IMHO-one word-Glock
Old 08-30-2010, 00:51   #31
Points: 3,279, Level: 35 Points: 3,279, Level: 35 Points: 3,279, Level: 35
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by alaj70 View Post
I initially went into my LGS looking to purchase a Glock, but my first striker pistol wound-up being a Springfield Armory XDM 9MM. Let me explain...

You see, the guy behind the counter kept going on and on about the SA XDM and all the "goodies" that came with the pistol. (I have to say Springfield Armory does a VERY nice job of outfitting an XDM pistol owner)

Plus, Springfield Armory was also running a promotion at the time where you could get two free extra magazines, and a magazine carrying pouch.

Being that this was my first striker fire pistol, and I was new to the whole concept of a polymer-framed modern-day pistol, I took the guy's advice. Against my gut instinct and the time-tested results that I knew surrounded the Glock line of pistols, I went with the SA XDM 9MM.

However, after my first range trip I was taken aback at my lack of accuracy with the SA XDM pistol. But, I decidedly told myself that I simply needed "more range time".

That said, after shooting the SA XDM several more times, I never seemed to get better groups with the pistol. I even changed the back-strap to see if it was the grip angle that was causing my accuracy issues. No help there.

Anyway, one day I ran into a guy that I mentioned this to, and he made me an offer for the pistol that seemed reasonable. So, I sold it to him.

Of course, I still had a hankerin' for a polymer-framed striker fire pistol, so a few weeks later, I went back to my LGS, listened to my original gut instincts, and I bought myself a Glock-17.

During my first range session, it was literally like night and day between the two pistols. I was shooting my new Glock-17 extremely accurately.

Now, do I think the the SA XDM is a "bad" pistol. Not at all. Let me reiterate...I think the SA XDM is a very good pistol. In fact, I know that the SA XDM in some shooters' hands can be scary-accurate.

However, I learned a VERY valuable lesson here about handguns in general...

Sometimes, you find a great pistol. And, other times, a great pistol finds you.

Interestingly, this depends solely on the individual who shoots the pistol. In short, what works for one shooter may not always work for them all.

For me, the Glock-17 has turned out being everything I had hoped the SA XDM to be. In fact, I have become a HUGE fan of the Glock line of pistols.

I really do think that they are some of the best pistols made. So, for me, it's a GLOCK!
My experience as well. I'm not contending that the Glock is "perfect" (pun intended), but it's a natural fit for me in many respects.
McRuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 13:42   #32
Points: 4,074, Level: 40 Points: 4,074, Level: 40 Points: 4,074, Level: 40
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

I have owned 4 glocks and eventually sold them all. they just don't fit my hand and I can't shoot them worth a crap.
the hi-points aren't much to look at but the write ups on them give them high marks for reliabilty.
I now carry a ruger SR9 or a taurus CIA 38 spcl. I can hit with them and they go bang everytime I pull the trigger.

So, as others have said, go to a range that rents guns and try several different models before you decide.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:08   #33
Points: 5,513, Level: 47 Points: 5,513, Level: 47 Points: 5,513, Level: 47
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

Rent a lot of pistols

Originally Posted by tgrif View Post
So, as others have said, go to a range that rents guns and try several different models before you decide.
+1

This is the best advice you can be given when you are looking for a pistol. It's much cheaper to go the range and rent a large sample of firearms and see which on fits you the best. Spending a $100 at the range to find the handgun that fits you the first time and much cheaper than buying one and then selling/trading it if it's not to your taste.

I have quite a few striker pistols (Glock, XD/XDM, M&P) and they are all reliable. I can't say which one would be best for you. There are more good, reliable pistols out there than ever before.
Old 10-05-2010, 19:33   #34
Points: 1,745, Level: 24 Points: 1,745, Level: 24 Points: 1,745, Level: 24
Last Achievements

i wouldn't use a hi-point for a trotline weight nor would i carry one and hope it worked to save me or my family get a glock and don't look back.
willygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 22:36   #35
Points: 9,153, Level: 64 Points: 9,153, Level: 64 Points: 9,153, Level: 64
Activity: 19.7% Activity: 19.7% Activity: 19.7%
Last Achievements

Personal taste will dictate which is the "best". I like the looks of the XD and SR-9, Glocks are known to be reliable, but for me, and a LOT of other people, they do not point naturally. You want a gun to point naturally if you are going to use it for a defensive weapon. I don't care how good Glocks might be, because I can't point them naturally, and I dont want to re-train nature just for a gun.

I personally carry a DAO Kel-Tec and it points wonderfully and the trigger is not that bad, considering. For me, 1911's point super natural and I stick with guns with similar grip angles. I leave Glocks on the shelf for those who like them.

I am NOT bashing Glocks as a weapon, they are great and reliable, and accurate. But I have to push the front sight down to be able to shoot one, and that will not work in a life or death situation...

You definitely want to shoot a gun or handle it and "blind point" with it, ie, point with your eyes closed and then open your eyes. You might find out one gun points more natural than another.
woodchuckssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:01   #36
Points: 1,745, Level: 24 Points: 1,745, Level: 24 Points: 1,745, Level: 24
Last Achievements

some don't fit the glock some do if i were going for what fit me best and had the best pointability i would use my s&w mod 19 357 mag and be on target and fired and never worry.
willygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:24   #37
Points: 2,297, Level: 28 Points: 2,297, Level: 28 Points: 2,297, Level: 28
Last Achievements

Talking

It's a Glock for me, a 2nd gen 23 that fills the bill. I'm the 2nd owner and just absolutely love this little pistol.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:35   #38
Points: 14,338, Level: 77 Points: 14,338, Level: 77 Points: 14,338, Level: 77
Activity: 31.1% Activity: 31.1% Activity: 31.1%
Last Achievements

XD45 for me. Very reliable with all brands of ammo, quick easy tear down, and 13 rounds in the mag without feeling like I am trying to wrap my hands around the big end of a baseball bat.
Painfulitchingandswelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:56   #39
Points: 2,961, Level: 33 Points: 2,961, Level: 33 Points: 2,961, Level: 33
Last Achievements

I have shot glocks, XD, XDm, SR9/SR9C (own one too) and springfield M&P. My personal impression was the XDm had the best trigger of the bunch, out of the box. But all in all, the glock is the best. It has the most aftermarket parts available, and is an absolutely proven design. My problem with the glock is they don't "feel good" in my hands. It has to do with the grip angle and grip thickness.

As a result I took a chance on the SR9C. It is a virtual knock off of the glock, but with better ergonomics. Conceptually, probably one of the best guns on the list. It "feels" the best (to me), felt recoil with really hot +p+ winchester rangers is almost negligible. With the ghost rocket connector, this thing has an incredible trigger. The width is very thin, it is super easy to conceal. The ten round magazine with the pinkly extender feels so good in my hands, I almost never use the 17 round mag. It is super accurate. I also love the 1911 style thumb safety.

In actual performance however, it has left me luke warm. Quality control is not great on these guns (in my experience). I have had to send mine back to Ruger because of the "barrel peening" issue and because it would fail to fire. Ruger replaced the barrel and the striker/striker spring assembly and it seems to be OK now. (their customer service was spectacular) We'll see how it goes after another couple of hundred rounds. I am also not at all happy with the slide catch. You cannot drop the slide using your thumb on the slide release. You must use your off hand to pull back the slide and release it. I have fixed this with a little home gunsmithing, but this is the way the gun was designed, and not a QC issue.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably go XDm or springfield M&P. But the glock is ALWAYS a great choice if you like the ergonomics.
louie1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:20   #40
Points: 2,974, Level: 33 Points: 2,974, Level: 33 Points: 2,974, Level: 33
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by WENDALL View Post
Don't forget about the SR9c from Ruger. Not a bad pistol for $400. Good CCW if it fits your taste.
I'll vote for this twice!!!

I have owned Glocks and they are nice guns.
BUT, the SR9's fits MY hand better.
As for the others I do not like the checkering on the back straps, bite into my hands to much for my taste.

Just my 2 cents.

Lateck,
Lateck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 22:25   #41
Points: 5,607, Level: 48 Points: 5,607, Level: 48 Points: 5,607, Level: 48
Last Achievements

a year later....i still say XD dang it
Old 03-01-2011, 04:54   #42
Points: 5,750, Level: 48 Points: 5,750, Level: 48 Points: 5,750, Level: 48
Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8%
Last Achievements

A thousand rounds later I say the SR9c - Dang it!
WENDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:27   #43
Sniper 173D Abn Brigade
Points: 1,996, Level: 26 Points: 1,996, Level: 26 Points: 1,996, Level: 26
Last Achievements

There is a REASON why Glock has about a 70% share of the police market and XD doesn't. The more bells and whistles you put on a gun, the more chances that it will break and cease to work. Springfield Armory's service isn't up to Glock's either. Why go with a second best? Glock is simpler and easier to use, maintain and has the better, quicker repair system in place. That's why I own 3 Glocks and zero XDs.
Herd Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:21   #44
Draw, Varmint!
Points: 4,899, Level: 44 Points: 4,899, Level: 44 Points: 4,899, Level: 44
Activity: 18.9% Activity: 18.9% Activity: 18.9%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
There is a REASON why Glock has about a 70% share of the police market and XD doesn't. The more bells and whistles you put on a gun, the more chances that it will break and cease to work. Springfield Armory's service isn't up to Glock's either. Why go with a second best? Glock is simpler and easier to use, maintain and has the better, quicker repair system in place. That's why I own 3 Glocks and zero XDs.
Those are good points; however, this is the first time anyone's ever told me that Glock has a service department!

Are you talking about those guys in Smyrna who like to, kid you along' on the phone? You know, the ones who give out a lot of free pens and keychains, and will remove the expensive Wolff steel guiderod from your pistol and, then, send it back to you with a cheap plastic rod inside - Is THIS the service department you're referring to?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:53   #45
Points: 5,607, Level: 48 Points: 5,607, Level: 48 Points: 5,607, Level: 48
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
There is a REASON why Glock has about a 70% share of the police market and XD doesn't.
im sure the almost 20 year head start had nothing to do with it.
Old 03-17-2011, 19:01   #46
Registered Member
Points: 1,761, Level: 24 Points: 1,761, Level: 24 Points: 1,761, Level: 24
Last Achievements

i bought a xd about 3 weeks ago. the grip feels better then a glock to me so i shoot it better. shame thing goes for any cz form a cz52 in 7.62x25 to a cz85 9mm.
shortyhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:28   #47
Sniper 173D Abn Brigade
Points: 1,996, Level: 26 Points: 1,996, Level: 26 Points: 1,996, Level: 26
Last Achievements

Are you talking about those guys in Smyrna who like to, kid you along' on the phone? You know, the ones who give out a lot of free pens and keychains, and will remove the expensive Wolff steel guiderod from your pistol and, then, send it back to you with a cheap plastic rod inside - Is THIS the service department you're referring to?

Why would anybody ship ANY pistol to any service department with a Wolf replacement part in it? You don't send a gun to a repair facility of any kind with expensive after market parts on them. The reasons are:
A. Said expensive part will probably be taken off, thrown away and replaced with a factory authorized part. and
B. If it is expensive then you don't want to run the risk of losing that part in the first place, right? and
C. Such replacement parts may void any warranty or guarantee if discovered in or on the gun.

Besides, try getting factory parts from Springfield Armory for XD pistols. Gunsmiths around here tell us that SA does not ship their factory parts to them. To get work done on the XD guns you have to ship it back to the factory. Now gunsmiths can get after market parts that will work on XD pistols but these parts are not factory ones because of the tight control factors involving SA. So right there Glock service department has it over SA.
Herd Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:59   #48
Points: 2,367, Level: 29 Points: 2,367, Level: 29 Points: 2,367, Level: 29
Last Achievements

If you need something affordable yet reliable, the CHEAPEST I'd go is a Taurus. I would and have trusted a Millennium series Taurus in the past .. and my stepfather (LEO) has trusted a 24/7. They ain't bad. Still, if you can .. get a Glock or an XD. Maybe even a M&P, Ruger SR9, or something of that ilk. Can't go wrong with any of them.
John 3:16
Jsh1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 13:41   #49
gig
Points: 2,954, Level: 33 Points: 2,954, Level: 33 Points: 2,954, Level: 33
Last Achievements

best for what?

Originally Posted by TWSARCH View Post
Looking for opinions, what do you think the best striker pistol is and why? If I get my carry permit I will be shopping for one. Leaning to XD, excuse the pun but I think it is the best bang for the buck.
I said "best for what" because it is my opinion that different folks have different needs.
If I was a LEO, then Glock. It has proven most dependable; but it needs to be always holstered for safety because of the trigger system.
The Glock will cost a bit more; but chances are you will get it back (if a LEO) if given up for evidence.

If you are a citizen looking for something to carry; but sometimes have in the glove box or console, or perhaps in the wife's purse, then I would look toward something in the $400 range with a decocker and manual safety like a Bersa, Ruger, or Taurus. (I realize Bersa is not a striker, but it has a nice trigger.)
Also if you have to give one of these up for evidence, it can be easily replaced.

I carry a 9mm around in the truck with me on the farm and shoot rabbits and the occasional coyote. This is when a good SA trigger is nice like on a Bersa. (Just an example of different uses that dictate different needs.)

I have a Ruger SR9c and a Taurus 24/7, both nice guns; but for all around use I favor the Taurus over the Ruger just because of the SA trigger and decocker system.

Every trigger system has it's purpose; thus one system is not the "best" but it is the "best" for a given use.

And then there is the "fun" factor.......Out of the 3 mentioned above, I would say the Bersa Thunder9 UC is the most fun to just go shoot.
gig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 16:53   #50
Points: 1,454, Level: 21 Points: 1,454, Level: 21 Points: 1,454, Level: 21
Last Achievements

Ok go ahead and say what you want but my little Taurus PT709 Slim spits them out as fast as you feed it.