Ruger Mark .22 Pistols....What have you? - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SGWGunsmith
  • 1 Post By GAMEOVER

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 13:44   #1

Ruger Mark .22 Pistols....What have you?

I've been working with and on Ruger Mark pistols for 45+ years now. Not much I haven't seen that can happen to these fine pistols, and there sure is a lot of ways to make this good gun better. Here's a few of mine:

Ruger Mark II Competition Target (Right) Ruger Mark II Government (Left)

Ruger Mark III 22/45 Suppressed

Ruger Mark II MK514

Ruger Mark II 10-inch Silhouette Pistols

www.saronagunworks.com
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
SGWGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 14:08   #2
RJF

Just a standard Mk-II, no mods except rubber molded grips (still have the walnut grips, though). Doesn't get shot much because it is such a PITA to reassemble. Normally, cleaning after shooting is a relaxing event: some decent oldies playing and my favorite adult beverage nearby. Always clean right after shooting.

I have other .22 pistols (Bersa Thunder, SR-22, etc.) that are considerably easier to reassemble, so they are my preferred .22 pistols for plinking. Downloaded a step-by-step disassembly/re-assembly guide, and refer to it every time I venture into shooting/cleaning my Mk-II. It is still frustrating...I can disassemble, clean, and reassemble the the others faster than I can re-read and follow the detailed instructions for the Mk-II.

It's a crying shame, because that Mk-II is an incredibly wonderful shooter. Got it in 1983 and probably haven't put more than 500 rounds through it because of that. Wife loves it, but she's got her SR-22 now, so it sits as an emergency back-up in the barn area, should I encounter a copperhead or a rabbit armed with a Holy Hand Grenade.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 20:06   #3

1984 Standard, rubber grips with/thumb rest, Volquartsen accurizing kit, extended charging handle, extended bolt stop. My 1st handgun. It's a jam-o-matic with the factory mags but not with the 12 round plastic Ramline mags. I've read where you can defang the old factory mag lips but never have. Like RFJ I don't shoot it enough to care anymore. I actually had forgotten I still had it until I saw this thread. I think I'll drag the old girl out of the safe and take her for a ride one day when I have 2 or 3 spare hours and a 6-pack to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. A few years ago I saw those old Ramline mags going for around $40 each.
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.

Old 03-22-2017, 22:25   #4
Born 100 years late.

never owned one but cleaned a lot of them , including an occasional original "red label/emblem" when I had my shop.......were decent $ makers because most people would rather pay a reasonable fee than crud-bust their own after years of neglect.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:52   #5

a slab-side target with volksquarten tune kit and fire sights and a standard Mk11 5" bbl with trigger tune-up and Ramline sights (which I'm soon going to update)