Perfect Union banner

Eye relief

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  rc229 
#1 ·
Guys I am having a hell of a time finding the sweetspot for this scope. I have a VX-1 2-7x33. Excellent scope, and the eye relief is perfect at 2x. Go up to 7x and its a tiny area to see through. Anyone know what the deal is or maybe I need to bring the whole thing closer to me face. :confused:

#2 ·
Eye relief has nothing to do with magnification. Your scope is not aligned with the bore of the rifle in windage. Either your rings are not true, your bases are crap, or the holes in your receiver are not tapped in line with the bore.:eek:

BTW....making an ssumption here....no offense...but is the scope mounted correctly?..i.e......base (s) torqued to spec, rings torqued to spec? Has the scope been "levelled" before being torqued.....Parallel and perpendicular? no canted reticle?

OR....you don't have a repeatable cheek weld.....which is a head space and timing problem...lol

#3 ·
I think your last one is correct. I'm guessing he is moving his cheek forward/back on the comb. What kind of rifle? You need a good, consistent index for placing your cheek on the rifle in the same spot every time you shoulder it. Like an AR, nose to charging handle is pretty typical.

And it sounds like your eyeball is not close enough to the glass, if you increase magnification and the image "shrinks".

#4 ·
That scope should have a good 3" -4" eye relief. MiamiE didn't say he had to use a lot of adjustment to get his rifle zeroed, so I'm not sure bases and rings are the problem. Maybe the O.P. is describing, instead of eye relief ( forward and back), eye "positioning", not having the eye perfectly centered in the field of view. A rifle scope that has a small 33mm objective is more critical of this than say a 40mm or 44mm objective bell, especially as it's cranked up in power. I had a Burris Timberline 4.5-14 x32mm AO and it was particularly susceptable to "ghosting" unless your eye was just right side to side.

#5 ·
i consistently find that virtually ALL SHOOTERS who shoulder MY rifles MUST HAVE the magnification turned as low as possible or they cant see through the optics... They are just not used to the way I have the optics set up for MY HEAD on the stock... the OP has an alignment of the eye and optic issue... not the optic and the gun...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.