Perfect Union banner

Weaver Rifle scope

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Mikbul 
#1 ·
About 6 months ago I bought a Weaver model 800362 Tactical scope ($768) for my AR10. I chose a Weaver because I’ve had one (4x, came with the rifle acquired in 1964) and it still works fine.
Mounted the Weaver and went to the range to zero the rifle. The best 3 round shot group I could achieve was 3” (most around 5”) at 100 yards. Now the AR10 has a reputation of being better than that, so I bought a bench rest and tried again with the same results. So figured it must be me just getting older. BUT maybe it was the rifle (hard to admit your eyes are going), so I ordered a Springfield .308 to try.
While waiting for the Springfield to arrive one day, at Sportsman’s Warehouse, I was whining to one of the salesman about the AR10 and got talked into trying a Vortex scope ($752). I mounted it on my AR10, and headed for the range. The rifle with a Vortex scope shot sub-MOA groups at 100 yards and 1.5” to 2” groups at 200 yards for about 48 rounds. (I was ecstatic, my eyesight had improved) I was having so much fun I couldn’t stop shooting. A local guy on the next lane asked if he could try the AR10 (with his ammo, different than mine) and shot slightly better than I was doing. He kept badgering me to sell him the rifle until I finally sold it to him for about $400 more than I had in the gun. (After all, my eyes were getting better and I had a new rifle on the way).
I picked up the Springfield and stopped by the range (without mounting the Weaver scope because the range was on the way back to my house). The Springfield (with iron sights) shot a .8” group at 100 yds after shooting 9 lapping rds and cleaning the barrel and zeroing . WOW, just wait until I get the scope on this rifle (my eyes are getting better every time I go to the range, but I was having to use those bright red sticker for the bulls eye at 100 yds). Well winter set in and in Mississippi that means rain and cold and no range days without slogging through the mud down range to check/change your target. So I put a Troy chases, Troy flip-up iron sights, Magpol stock, a bipod and the Weaver scope on the Springfield, while waiting for a dry range.
Last Saturday I headed out to zero and have some fun. My cold (first) shot was about 4” low @ 7 o‘clock (to be expected), the next 2 shots were dead on the vertical target line, 6” low. OK move to 100 yds, adjust and shoot 3 rds.
Those 3 were a 1” group @ 11 o’clock about 2.5” off center. Maybe I screwed up the adjustment, so adjust for elevation, one more shot, 9 o’clock 1” off center, good (now lets have some fun). New target, adjust windage 1” to the right and fire 3 rds. #1) 8 o’clock 5” off center, #2) 7 o’clock 7” off center, #3) completely off the paper. WTF. Check the scope rings, their still tight. Ammo out of the same box of 20 I used with the iron sights 2 months ago. Must be the Troy build I did. Pull the scope off the gun. Zero the Troy flip-up sights. And move target back to 100 yds (with bright red sticker for bulls eye). Three rds. Half inch group @ 4 o’clock 3” off center, adjust and shoot 3 rds. 8th group on 1.5” red sticker.
I’ve put this Weaver on 3 different rifles now and can’t get a good zero with it.
Conclusion, rifle is good to go, Troy build is good to go, Weaver scope is a $800 piece of junk?
WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?
I’ve called Weaver’s Technical Service Department, spoke to an automated answering machine, no return call yet. Emailed Weaver’s Customer Service Department, no return email yet.
I would like in put from you guys, WHAT am I missing?

See less See more
#3 ·
Update:
Weaver contacted me today and I'm sending them the scope tomorrow.

One of the reasons that I chose the Weaver was their ability to stand up to rough use. This is one of their Tactical scopes and advertised as being used by the military on the M14, so I assumed that it could withstand the auto-action of the M14 M1A. I'm hopeing that I just got a bad one.
By the way, I thought Weaver was a German company, but my scope was stamped "Made in China" on the bottom in very small print. I found it when I was looking for a serial number.

#6 ·
Weaver Scopes were first made in Kentucky by Weaver in a small shop circa 1930s. Weaver later expanded and moved to El Paso, Texas in the 1950s. It is now a name owned by Meade Idts. an importer of optics from China. The El Paso Weavers were and are classic scopes. Too bad, today they are Weaver scopes in name only.

#7 ·
For some reason my 800368's, 800382's,and 800362's all are marked Made in Japan?
Is it possible that Weavers Tactical Scopes are manufactured in a separate location?
Weaver along with quite a few other well known names seems to be rolled into the Vista Outdoor Inc.
Vista Outdoor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
About Us

I can't say that I've used any other Weaver Scopes but their Tactical Line, but I Truly haven't had any Troubles with their FFP Tactical Line. I am not known for Babying Scopes, and these represent quite a good bang for my Buck. JMHO.

#8 ·
JPNIII,Where did you purchase the scope from?
The reason I'm asking is there was another person that purchased what was supposed to be a Weaver Super Slam,and the scope he received wasn't a Super Slam. It had the same model number,but the turrets were a different style and it was marked Made In China. He purchased his from Natchez Shooters Supply,and he isn't the first to have a scope that wasn't what they thought it was from them.
Natchez sells a Weaver Classic Extreme scope on a "closeout" deal. That scope was replaced by the Super Slam scope several years ago,and was made in Japan.
Weaver produces the Natchez version for Natchez,and it is made in the Philippines,it's not the same scope that I have a couple of.

I have several Weaver Classic Extreme and Super Slam scopes. They were all produced in Japan,and have always performed flawlessly. These are all top shelf Weaver Optics.
Weaver does produce several lower priced models in the Philippines,and China,but their Japanese scopes are a very good product.
The only thing they lack are having a larger adjustment range for long range work. The glass in the one's that I have run a close race with scopes costing a lot more.

#9 ·
counterfeit maybe? from the retailer? stranger things have happened.
I have a weaver 2.5xpistol scope I mounted on a ruger slab side. within couple 100 rds the crosshairs got off center and would not stay centered. back to weaver it went, came back about a month later and it was some weeks until I could mount and try it out. same story. sitting in a corner now.
during ww2 the japanese binocs and periscopes that went to subs were the best made worldwide.

#10 ·
As texhillbilly said they have different ranges of scopes made in different places. I have 2 Weaver brand and 2 others made by Weaver, Buck Commander and another brand Nitrex. They are all pretty good for the money, but like the new Nikons, it is hard to know what you are getting as they switch price points and makers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.